cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Electricity Meter Readings

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Electricity Meter Readings

I am running some equipment.... and I want to find out how much it is costing me... so I decided to read the electric meter at the start of one hour`s running  and again at the end of the hour...
here are the two readings
Start    11703.4
End    11703.9 
I am using the .4 and .9 figures as they are in red.... and presume they are tenths of a unit ?  is this correct...?
so my maths tells me that the equipment uses half a unit  (?) per hour....  (? )
  now comes the problem ( for me ! ! )... my bill shows a Standard Rate of 13.1p against a usage figure of 589kWh... 
Is 1 unit on the meter equivalent to 1 kWh ? or how do I work the maths from the above information ?
10 REPLIES
Fixes: 125

Re: Electricity Meter Readings

Quote from: shutter
Is 1 unit on the meter equivalent to 1 kWh ?
According to my bill it is
The Calculations are needed for gas only.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

From that measurement your equipment is consuming 500W (0.5kW).
Did you ensure nothing else was using electricity?  Fridge, freezer, router etc.
What Wattage were you expecting?
Electricity meters do measure in kWh.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@ Mav.... So.... if it IS 1 unit = 1kWh... then my equipment is using .5 kWh therefore it is costing about 6.5p per hour to run ? Correct ?  
( not sure what the reference to Gas is about  Huh )
@ W23... other items are in use, which does give it an erroneous usage, at 500w.... and the equipment is "rated" at 300w... so, presumably... the other 200w is for the flatscreen t.v. , laptop, router, 1 small fridge and two small freezers... and 1 low wattage bulb.....  ( fridge and freezers are intemittent useage anyway, are they not  ? ?  )...
Basically, i was trying to find out how much it cost... and the answer looks like it would be even less than my first statement in this reply... guesstimate about 3p per hour, which is not excessive...
Really just wanted to try to understand my electric bill and what it costs per hour , etc etc...

so thanks guys.... much appreciate the help....  Wink
Community Veteran

Quote from: shutter
@ Mav.... So.... if it IS 1 unit = 1kWh... then my equipment is using .5 kWh therefore it is costing about 6.5p per hour to run ? Correct ?  

That would be correct.
Also bear in mind that things like your boiler, television, lights, chargers, computer etc etc all take power. It soon adds up as well.
My house "idles" at around 300-350 watts with no major appliances on - this is two power efficient servers and a load of other small bits and bobs all plugged in (fridge / freezer which is constantly running at a low power, Youview box, clock radio etc etc)
Also worth getting an energy monitoring device - often your electricity supplier will provide one on request which will show you the consumption for the whole house or for around £7 you can buy an energy monitoring plug which will allow you to record the usage for an individual appliance.
Community Veteran

I'm not good at working out power costs.
Can someone give me an approximate years cost of a device consuming 0,7w on for say one third of the time or 4 months of the year.
Community Veteran

About 8760 hours in a year, so multiply by 0.7 and 1/3rd gives 2044, so about 2 units say 25p to 30p.
Community Veteran

As a general rule of thumb, every 1 watt over 24/7/365 will cost you around £1 a year in electricity.

Community Veteran

Quote from: HPsauce
so about 2 units say 25p to 30p

Thanks.
So not worth expending the probably more energy of unplugging and plugging back in for short periods.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

0.7W is a tiny power consumption, you're right it probably takes far more human power to unplug it.
Are you sure it's only 0.7W (not many electrical items are rated that low - unless it's the 'standby' rating of something like a TV)?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran

Yes it's a standby thingy.
I have one of those power consumption plugs that I bought off eBay for 99p so I'm checking a few things.