cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Electricity Con

Fixes: 47

Electricity Con

There are 2 electric mains wires coming into my house, a red one and a black one.
For some time now I have had an electricity monitor on the red wire.
Recently, out of curiosity I connected another monitor to the black wire and was shocked to see an almost identical reading of electricity going out of my house.
This revelation led me to the logical conclusion that most of the electricity coming into my house on the red wire (and that I was paying for) was going back down the black wire to the electricity company for them to sell to another unsuspecting customer.
I therefore decided to do something about it and disconnected the black wire.
The electricity company obviously monitor this wire and immediately disconnected my supply.
I then connected the black wire to a green wire I discovered and this seemed to work for a while but some items in the house worked and others didn't so I put the black wire back to as it was.
I looked at the gas supply to my house and was pleased to note only a single pipe so remain happy that the same con is not being applied there and that all the gas I pay for I get to use.
I suppose that the situation with the electricity supply has been going on so long now undetected that nothing would be done about it and I would be a single voice ignored Sad
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
14 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: Electricity Con

Grin
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

You missed a trick - If you cross the red and black wires over then the meter works backwards  Grin
PS  I do hope you were joking!
Community Veteran

Nice.
Gabe

Thanks Mr Watson for the tip, I'll give it a try Smiley
Quote from: pwatson
PS  I do hope you were joking!

I'll leave you guessing....
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

The red wire comes from the generator to you, and the black one makes sure that you are generating enough electricity for you to use.  Roll eyes
Community Veteran

Lol
Strat, you can also hack your own 3 phase supply you know..
What the energy companies don't tell you is that they deliberately only give you a single phase supply but if you cut the gas pipe and then join the red and black wires together in the near vacinity of the gas pipe you get 3 energy sources combined into one phase. Granted it usually goes bang and does a lot of damage but it's theoretically possible  Cheesy
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!

I do my own pipework and wiring (but don't tell anyone I said so) and so far I've managed to keep the two apart.
I did read something in the Daily Mail a while back about a new energy source involving gas, electricity and a piece of equipment call a Frak Undecided
This is the only Frak I know of...

Community Veteran

Quote from: Strat
<snip>
This revelation led me to the logical conclusion that most of the electricity coming into my house on the red wire (and that I was paying for) was going back down the black wire to the electricity company for them to sell to another unsuspecting customer.
<snip>
I looked at the gas supply to my house and was pleased to note only a single pipe so remain happy that the same con is not being applied there and that all the gas I pay for I get to use.

Unlike gas, which is burnt to form carbon dioxide and water and which YOU have to deal with, electricity only works by having the current flow, and it is very kind of the electricity company to take back the electricity after you have used it, or you would have to deal with it
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

Metal spike in the ground, job done. No need for them theiving gits to rob it back  Wink

Quote from: jelv
Unlike gas, which is burnt to form carbon dioxide and water and which YOU have to deal with, electricity only works by having the current flow, and it is very kind of the electricity company to take back the electricity after you have used it, or you would have to deal with it

I hadn't thought of it like that, thanks jelv Smiley
I suppose it's like the water supply with all it's additives that I flush my toilet with.
You give me some of your shit and I give you some of mine Lips are sealed
Community Veteran

Grin
Community Veteran

If you hook your stuff up to the green wire, you'll be using energy provided by the wind generators and will be saving the earth Wink

To quote a well known Philosopher....
The planet is fine.....the people are fucked!!
kmilburn
Grafter

The problem with disconnecting the wire can be tracked back to Thomas Edison...
Edison's greatest achievement came in 1879 when he invented the electric company.  Edison's design was a brilliant adaptation of the simple electric circuit: The electric company sends electricity through a wire to a customer, then immediately gets the electricity back through another wire, then (this is the brilliant part) sends it right back to the customer again.
This means that an electric company can sell a customer the same batch of electricity thousands of times a day and never get caught, since very few customers take the time to examine their electricity closely to make sure they have new electrons.  In fact the last year any new electricity was generated in the United States was 1937; the electric companies have been re-selling it ever since, which is why they have so much time to apply rate increases.