cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Electrical: I don't think these should these be on the same circuit / MCB / RCBO

TORPC
Grafter

Electrical: I don't think these should these be on the same circuit / MCB / RCBO

All are on the downstairs circuit
1 X Smoke Alarm                                        Note: (Upstairs (Smoke Alarm is on it's own Circuit)
1X Downstairs Bathroom Extractor Fan          Note: (Upstairs Bathroom Extractor Fan is on it's own circuit)
1 X Lights                                                    Note: (Upstairs (Lights have their own circuit)
They haven't caused any issue(s) & was more curious than anything else
& should I get my housing to rewire accordingly
I know I could do it myself, however the modern day regulations / red tape etc... Prevents me from doing a job I have done many times in the past before the said regulations etc.......
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Electrical: I don't think these should these be on the same circuit / MCB / RCBO

Doesn`t the new regs allow people to do the work,.....but MUST get someone "qualified" to "sign it off"  ? 
TORPC
Grafter

Re: Electrical: I don't think these should these be on the same circuit / MCB / RCBO

Cheers as always Smiley
I am not sure about that, as will need to update on these matters
The last I heard was a many years ago, that said only qualified person(s) are allowed to work on such things IIRC
Downloading the .PDF's from https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/building-regulations-third-party-certification-schemes-fo... as I type as new regs as recent as 14 March 2014
also found [quote= http://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/guides-and-advice/building-regulations/england/]What if I don’t use a registered electrician?
If you use an installer who is not a registered competent person, he or she must notify the registered third-party certifier within five (5) days of completing the work.  The registered third-party certifier will then, subject to the results of the inspection and testing being satisfactory, complete either an Electrical Installation Condition Report (based on the model shown in BS 7671) or one that has been specifically developed for the purposes of Part P and give it to the person ordering the work.
Looks like I could be allowed to carry out the work, so long as I get it approved / signed off within 5 days of completion
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

Quote from: TORPC

Looks like I could be allowed to carry out the work, so long as I get it approved / signed off within 5 days of completion

Yes.  But......

• Get someone lined up for the sign off bit.  Many firms may not be bothered!

• The latest Regs (V.17 I think) make a number of changes and a lot of "recommendations" e.g. on when extractor fans should be activated

• Fire Alarms must now be linked in a fairly defined manner to pass

• If your installation is currently certified you probably do not need to upgrade.  But once you start - you have to ensure you meet the *NEW* Regs

We fell foul of a few things after adding a new extension last year.  E.g.  We had to change the Fire Alarm in the existing house, so that it could join and co-operate with the new extension.  Remember.  The man with the pen has all the Power .................... Unless you relish a long battle with the power off!
Find a nice friendly electrician and come to some agreement is your best bet.
Maurice
Community Veteran

I thought this wouldn't come under Part P unless you were touching the Consumer Unit?
TORPC
Grafter

According to the NICEIC PDF
[quote= http://www.niceic.com/Uploads/File1247.pdf (Direct Download)]The requirements of Part P apply to most electrical work in your home. There are
however, certain relaxations that apply for minor work.
Minor work
‘Minor work’ is electrical work that does not involve the addition of a new circuit, for
example adding new sockets or light switches to an existing circuit, or the replacement
of sockets, light switches and ceiling roses. This work does not have to be undertaken
by a registered electrician and you do not need to notify your local building control

High risk locations
Kitchens, bathrooms and gardens are classed as ‘special locations’ because the risk of
electric shock is greater. Unless you are only replacing accessories, work in a kitchen,
bathroom, garden or outbuilding must either be undertaken by a registered electrician or
notified to building control.
With so many electrical appliances in your kitchen, combined with the mixture of hot surfaces
and water, it is important that the electrical installation is safe. When installing a new kitchen,
it is advisible you use a registered electrician or kitchen installer to do the electrical work.
External electrical installations can be particularly hazardous due to the presence of water
and the extremes of weather, which can make equipment deteriorate faster.
If you are unsure, check with a registered
This Chart may be of help to some including me Wink

& the linked Approved Document P .gov PDF (BR_PDF_AD_P_2013.pdf) (Direct Download)

According to
[quote= http://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/guides-and-advice/building-regulations/wales/]What if I don’t use a registered electrician?
If you use an installer who is not a registered competent person, he or she must notify the building control body before the work starts. If it is necessary to carry out work because of an emergency the relevant building control body should be notified as soon as possible afterwards. Once notified it is the responsibility of the building control body to ensure the work is safe and complies with the relevant requirements of the Building Regulations.
If you use an installer who is qualified to carry out inspection and testing and completing the required electrical installation work certification, the installer should do so. The building control body will then take the electrical certification issued into account when deciding what (if any) further action will be necessary to ensure that the work is safe and complies with all relevant requirements of the Building Regulations.
When the building control body is satisfied that the work is safe and meets all building regulation requirements it will issue a building regulation completion certificate or, if an approved inspector was used, a final certificate.
Side note:
In the URL, Just change the Region Wales for either England or Scotland if you are in any of those regions, notice: Ireland (Page not found) @ the time of this post
TORPC
Grafter

A good job I undertook my own examination
I replaced one of these with no earth connector

with one of these with the earth connector
I would of thought that my housing would of made sure of the the correct updated type when they done the wiring aprox 3 years ago, but that said, they did drill through the pyro cable which blew the new consumer unit they had installed a few days earlier, which is in the same cupboard as the gas meter.

itsme
Grafter

I would be surprised if any of your pattress boxes are earthed using the terminal in the box.
TORPC
Grafter

@itsme
Sorry, I just realised you replied
Only the mains sockets & light switch in the kitchen are tbh
The one I replaced had the earth cable (without a sleeve) on it was dangling & was close to the other wires, I have placed the proper sleeve on it & connected it to the earth in the patress