cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Electric v power shower from cyclinder/combi?

beeceegee
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Electric v power shower from cyclinder/combi?

Due to the low pressure from our header tank we had a pump fitted next to our hot water cylinder a few years back. It feeds "normal" mixer showers in the bathroom and en-suite. In theory it has enough oomph to run both at the same time, but I can't recall ever testing  that.
Fixes: 220

Quote from: w23
Oddly, when I had my meter changed a few years ago they changed the 100A fuse to an 80A one because they said the current  Cheesy regulations required the lower rated fuse for the size of my incoming cable.  Hope your cable's good for 100A.

Funny you should say that as 3 months ago I had smart meters fitted and the engineer removed the main fuse during the meter installation.
I didn't see if he replaced the fuse with another or refitted the original so it's possible he down-rated it.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 66.0 (64-bit)

maranello
Pro
Fixes: 1

Most mixer valves have flow restrictors to the inlet ports,  so that even with a shower pump the flow is ample enough without being water-cannon strength.
My other car isn't a Ferrari
Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

Quote from: PeterLoftus
http://www.amazon.co.uk/TMV2-Traditional-Exposed-Thermostatic-Bathroom/dp/B004X9S0O2/ref=sr_1_5?ie=U...
This is the style of valve we have don't go for one of those mamby pamby designer ones. More style than function  Cheesy
I know you said, 'style' rather than, 'have' but I hope it better than the one you give the link to as several customers have had major problems with it that has resulted in them paying even more for repairs.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

The term " Power Shower" is misleading... and mainly an "advertising gimmick"..
A power shower head is where the "power" comes from.... for example.... (say) an ordinary shower head has 50 holes in it...  a power shower head has an arrangement to reduce the number of holes in stages.by rotating the shower head....  . so therefore you have the same amount of water pressure but fewer holes for it to come out of... it increases the "power" of the spray....  therefore  stage 1 may have ( say) 35 holes.... styage 2 may  have 20 holes... with each "stage" or partial turn of the head. the water pressure increases "through" the holes...  the water pressure coming to the shower unit for heating remains constant...
Community Veteran

You usually need energy to increase pressure..  I think it might be the velocity that increases.  Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

@Shutter,
I agree the term is misleading.
A seperate power shower pump delivers water pressure from 1.5 bar to 3 bar depending on the size of the pump.
I have no idea what the water pressure is on the average shower which does not use a pump.
The term power shower is in my opinion misleading if it cannot provide the same pressure as those using a seperate pump.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 62

The use of a pump is really only warranted where the feed is from a header tank in the loft
Example the effective head from shower head to tank water level is only about 1.5 metres in my case
If it is mains fed the normal minimum standard is 1 bar at the property boundary but it is more usual for it to be 2 - 4 bar
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Quote from: gleneagles
Quote from: PeterLoftus
http://www.amazon.co.uk/TMV2-Traditional-Exposed-Thermostatic-Bathroom/dp/B004X9S0O2/ref=sr_1_5?ie=U...
This is the style of valve we have don't go for one of those mamby pamby designer ones. More style than function  Cheesy
I know you said, 'style' rather than, 'have' but I hope it better than the one you give the link to as several customers have had major problems with it that has resulted in them paying even more for repairs.

Yes mine is more than ten years old with not an hap'orth of bother. I did mean similar to the one I have.  Smiley
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran

In this house we have a combi-fed theromastatic mixer-tap shower, works great, flow never really dips when changing the flow (may get a sudden burst of hot when turning up or cold when turning down too quick) o a perfect flow to heat ratio, and the heat is usually there within 20 seconds depending on mains pressure at the time of day, in the previous house we had an electric shower, never really cared for it, as more heat = less flow (and it liked to randomly dribble when turned off, so it's valve was probably on its way out), I've also used tank-fed showers which are okay so long as the hot tank is well-above the shower location or has a pump to boost the flow...
Of all three, I prefer the combi-feed, flow and heat ratio's perfect, doesn't need high amperage mains electric fed into the bathroom, and is always there, especially if you have a UPS backup or small generator to keep it powered up. Electric showers have two issues, the already mentioned flow versus heat issue, but also in a power failure, it'll go cold very fast, a combi will have what's in the pipes left to give you a chance to rinse off and turn off, and tanked, well, handy for when there's no power, but, if there's no power to reheat, it's just a tank of cold water... Smiley
itsme
Grafter

Combi are only suitable for small properties because they are affected by turning another tap on. As someone that was brought up in a house with a mains fed multipoint having showers were a nightmare when someone in the house turn on another tap.
So when I brought my house which had to be completely gutted I installed a hot water tank with a separate feed to the shower so not affected by other taps being turned on.
Community Veteran

The tap issue was a problem in this house initially, then I found the stopcock (bet that gets censored!!) and found it was barely turned on, so, turned it up fully, and the issue was gone... Smiley
Did discover a slow leak under the kitchen sink though that'd been there for a long time though, judging by the lack of plaster left on the wall behind, fixed now though (well, the leak is, the plaster, no)... Grin