Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Electric trucks - on the move charging

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 52

Electric trucks - on the move charging

Gov has anounced that Diesel powered HGV`s will not be sold after 2040 .

and are planning to fit overhead wires to motorways, ~(inside lane ) so that lorries, fitted with pantographs, similar to those on Electric trains. can "charge on the go"..  (pantograph is supposed to work automatically when overhead cable is detected, or manually from the cab).

sounds like a good idea... BUT>.. what happens when an HGV driver falls asleep at the wheel, and crashes into one of the support pylons  ? ? ?   imagine all those lorries before and after the broken circuit, slowly running out of power, and causing a helluva tail back... not easy to pull them out of the way, without a diesel engined tow truck, methinks ! .

10 REPLIES 10
TTman
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 1

Re: Electric trucks - on the move charging

@shutter  ...and what happens if it is a "smart" motorway and a car breaks down on the inside lane????Shocked

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 52

@TTman   People get killed. .Cry...but that doesn`t matter... Angry

the other people will get to work/home/holidays etc a few minutes quicker....

unless, of course, they are caught up in the tail back caused by the accident.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@shutter 

Ah, but did anybody mention drivers? These things would not need them surely.

Talking of electric...

Chatting earlier about a guy we know up in London that has recently bought a brand new electric car, and the tax/road fund licence on it is a reported £400 a year. Not checked it out but that cannot be right, can it?

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison
Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

@Minivanman wrote:

Chatting earlier about a guy we know up in London that has recently bought a brand new electric car, and the tax/road fund licence on it is a reported £400 a year. Not checked it out but that cannot be right, can it?

A "normal" car has a normal rate of road fund licence until about retail price of £45000. Once it rises above that there is a premium for the first 5 years. Does this premium also apply to EV for the first 5 years?

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

A very quick check shows 'alternative fuel' cars (which seems to include electric) can pay quite a bit. But how does a fully electric vehicle produce C02 emissions?

I must be missing something. 🤔

Thomas A. Edison
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 32

@Minivanman   Manufacturing and charging the things, and end of life disposal.

The Internet gave us access to everything; but it also gave everything access to us.
James Veitch

ADSL2+   Billion 7800N
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Well yes, but how do they relate that to particular vehicle?

Thomas A. Edison
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

@shutter wrote:

@TTman   People get killed. .Cry...but that doesn`t matter... Angry

Unfortunately you are correct. People are just numbers and they don't matter to anyone at the top because they are ONLY numbers - and a few deaths each year are acceptable to them.

It's a disgrace isn't it. These people should be charged with genocide or similar.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Don't we already have railway lines.

Though we have already burned our bridges on that one. The couple of busy large trading estates near me still have odd patches of railway lines though the links to the main lines have long since gone.

Instead of building all these bits of "tramways" wouldn't it be more effective to "rejoin" a lot of these trading estates back to the main lines.

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

@shutter wrote:

Gov has anounced that Diesel powered HGV`s will not be sold after 2040 and are planning to fit overhead wires to motorways .

Think we'll have gone pass needing the overhead wires by then. I was looking at a couple of videos recently about a city in China where there are (already) 16000 EV buses and 22000 taxis running around. Maybe we'll be late to the party and you won't be able to blame the driver falling asleep for that. By 2040, they'll probably be autonomous vehicles anyway.

Always assuming climate change doesn't put the boot in first.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?