cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Electric toothbrush.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Electric toothbrush.

My toothbrush does 3000 strikes per minute and had a two minute timer. So to clean my mouth it uses 6000 strokes. Fair enough, nice and clean!
To do the same amount of strokes manually would take approximately 33 minutes. Which seems like long time to me. So why does it take two minutes? Is this not excessive and perhaps wearing out the enamel on my teeth?
I'm not advocating not brushing teeth, I'm just curious about the maths.
19 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Electric toothbrush.

I never got on with an electric toothbrush so still use the manual approach.
One dentist I used told me to brush for 2 minutes.
Community Veteran

Is it 2 minutes with a manual brush, or 2 minutes with a servo-assisted brush? Cheesy
I've often wondered when I'm using my power assisted dental cleansing device!  Wink
Geoff,
York.
alanf
Aspiring Pro

The recommendation seems to be the same for both manual and electric toothbrushes. Hard to think of a reason. Perhaps the longer the better and two minutes is the longest that it is thought anyone would be prepared to devote to tooth brushing?
Some electric brushes time 2 minutes for you.
Community Veteran

I meant 2 minutes for manual cleaning. I can't say I've seen a recommended time for an electric brush. Guess the instructions will give a guide.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Like artmo i couldn't get on with an electric toothbrush - the vibrations from it were really quite disturbing. So i went back to a manual toothbrush. Now granted my teeth aren't the whitest teeth you'll ever see (crap childhood dental care) however they are strong and considering the amount of abuse they've had sugar wise, they've done pretty well.
My partner however has several fillings, crowns and crumblers. She uses an electric toothbrush and floss religiously. Now i can't say thats the fault of the leccy brush as she never liked milk in her younger years and so probably lacks the calcium for strong teeth but it does seem to me that if you have an already weaker than normal tooth being exposed to a pretty violent brushing device, then it's only a matter of time before further damage occurs.
As for my leccy brush.. it's now in the toolbox and gets used for cleaning out the crevices on the car  Grin
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 125

I've never seen the point of electric toothbrushes; surely it's not that hard to spend 2 minutes doing them manually?
Like 7up I have strong teeth which may have something to do with drinking lots of milk as a child. I haven't been to see a dentist for around 30 years suffering from odontophobia. When I was a child the family dentist looked and sounded like Dr No and those drills were definitely some form of tuture from a James Bond film Shocked

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

maranello
Aspiring Pro

It is quite possible that many (most?) contributors to threads on Chit Chat are of an age where they benefitted from free school milk.
I think this should be re-introduced. Not only would this reduce the NHS dentist bill in years to come, but also help out struggling dairy farmers. However, such joined up and forward thinking is not something that recent British governments of any political persuation could be accused of.
A little off topic, but hey, this is Chit Chat.
My other car isn't a Ferrari
Community Veteran

Free milk is still given to toddlers but I don't know at what age it is stopped.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Mav
I haven't been to see a dentist for around 30 years suffering from odontophobia.

I'm assuming thats the fear of dentists..
Like you i was terrified of them - I had a bad experience as a toddler and then a parent that would fill my head with dental horror tales. Stupid parent.
Anyway eventually (despite most of them being good) I had one crumble as I ate a sandwich and was forced to go. It really wasn't that bad. As a child yes, terrifying but as a grown man you really don't feel much. They can inject your gums with anaesthetic (which is literally a pin prick if that) and then they can get on and do the serious work after around half a minute. It also helps to have a friendly dentist.
Although most of my teeth are in good shape i do have a few fillings and one is being replaced in a few weeks. My dentist however is very friendly, easy going and makes it clear he will stop at the slightest movement of your hand. He did a root canal on the tooth that crumbled (mentioned above) and i was dreading it before hand. When it did it i never felt a thing other than a bit of a scraping sensation.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 125

Odontophobia is the fear of dentistry and of receiving dental care rather than a fear of dentists.
Back in the early 80's I had a tooth that needed pulling. I went to Guys hospital and had major problems while it was being pulled; the tooth crumbled and they had trouble getting the last remnants out. I thought they were going to break my jaw attempting it Shocked
In the mid 80's I had a nerve taken out by a dentist recommended by a friend and a pin put in its place. That tooth is still going strong Smiley Sadly I moved away from the area and have never seen one since.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

I've never liked milk! Can't stand the smell of it either. Used to have milk in hot drinks but haven't done that for donkey's years now.
Although I never looked after my teeth as a youngster I do now and still have my (remaining|) own teeth at 68. I visit the dentist every 6 months and have done whatever he recommends.
I also use an electric toothbrush and have done for maybe 25 years!  Cool
Geoff,
York.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

My reason for using an electric toothbrush is to massage my gums. I had some bridge work done in Saudi Arabia and was very pleased with my new smile. But my dentist back here in the UK pointed out he could make my gums bleed there by poking them with a probe. Using an electronic toothbrush cleared that up.  Grin
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran

Used an electric tooth brush for years, it saves on the elbow grease. Smiley
Fixes: 47

Quote from: artmo
...... brush for 2 minutes.

...and no sooner than 15 minutes after eating.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation