Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Electric pressure cooker anyone?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Electric pressure cooker anyone?

Anyone got one of these beasts?

I like the idea of it, set the cook time and leave, soup setup in the morning and ready to eat at luchtime (using the keep warm function).

We use our manual pressure cooker a lot, along with our slow cooker, it seems this will replace both.

10 REPLIES
Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Re: Electric pressure cooker anyone?

Just another gadget in the gallery.

We have little enough room in our kitchen as it is what with my fermenting barrel bubbling away and Mrs Minvanman's breadmaker. Wink

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

We don't have one so am unable to answer your query however it does raise some additional questions for me.

swmbo claims that food cooked in a pressure cooker tastes different when compared to food cooked using any other method, is that right ?

Regarding soup, would it be easier and cheaper to make a batch using a blender, freezing what you don't need and simply heating it up in a pan when needed.

Sorry for going slightly off topic but often wondered about getting a pressure cooker.

Hope someone can reply to your op

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Minivanman wrote:

Just another gadget in the gallery.

We have little enough room in our kitchen as it is what with my fermenting barrel bubbling away and Mrs Minvanman's breadmaker. Wink

Is it really worth making bread ? sure a lot of cheap bread you buy these days is taste less but if you spend a bit more it's possible to get something that tastes reasonable.

You need to bin the bread making machine and replace it with a second fermenting barrel.... much better use of the limited space that is available.

Wink

Community Veteran

@Minivanman my FV's live in a temp controlled fridge. ;-)
@gleneagles having used both slow cookers and pressure cookers for several years, I can't taste the difference. Not like food heated in a microwave where chicken goes hard.

I make enough soup for 3 days. 1L of water then ingredients. I eat the first direct from the pot then the remainder goes into the fridge for days 2-3. I just heat enough for each day, or if I make a lot, it gets frozen into 1L containers.
I also prefer soup with LUMPS, one of the reasons I will not buy a soup maker, I don't want baby food.

As long as the soup has boiled for long enough all the veg will be soft, but still retain their shape, so you can mash them with a spoon if necessary. (10-12min for tattie and leak soup in the pressure cooker vs 1hr on the stove)
Minivanman
Hero

Good idea 

Actually the bread machine is quite good. The Mrs makes quite a variety, pops it on overnight and we have fresh bread in the morning. Maybe not cheaper than buying it I agree but easy to make, better than taking a frozen one out of the fridge, and the pizzas really are something as well.

Overall, pleasantly surprised. Smiley  

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

I wouldn't get rid of my bread maker either, although I have only been using it for making dough recently not loafs.
Nothing like home make soup with home made crusty bread for lunch on a cold day.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

When I was single, an living in bedsits, where they had 1/- in the slot gas meters for cooking and heating, I used to have a pressure cooker, and I can certainly say, that the potatoes and veg did taste different.... and that difference was BETTER than just boiling them for 20 mins or whatever...  seemed to me to have the "true taste"... so, I would recommend one for that kind of cooking... not sure about an electric one,...

obviously, using a pressure cooker for 5 mins as opposed to boiling three separate pans of water with different veggies in, for 20 mins used a lot less gas... and therefore got an extra bonus.. Good Quality Cheap food.!..

Minivanman
Hero

Mrs Minivanman uses these.Smiley

http://www.prestige.co.uk/prestige-create-77121-18cm-multi-steamer.html

Community Veteran

We've had one of those for past 10 years, mrs HB will not use it !
Don't know why but she just refuses to.
Minivanman
Hero

Now that's interesting, as the Mrs has used one for years and our veg is always crisp and tastes untainted - very much like a pressure cooker I imagine although she refuses to use one of those as they scare the bejesus out of her Grin