cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Electric Kettle

Fixes: 47

Electric Kettle

We have a new kettle in the kitchen at work and it has a button on top which if pressed apparently keeps the water hot but not boiling.
Now when I make a cup of tea I boil sufficient water for my tea and the kettle is off until my next cup which could be an hour away.
Why would I want to keep the kettle hot when it's not needed Undecided
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
11 REPLIES
David_W
Rising Star

Re: Electric Kettle

Hrm, off the top of my head, maybe it requires less electricity to keep the water hot than it does to boil it?  A kettle should boil the contents in 3 minutes which it can do over here because of our 240v power supply (apparently in the US they use the cooker because of the 110v supply requiring insane amounts of amp's to boil a kettle), so to boil it would require 240 watts, but to keep the kettle hot may only require 24 watts per hour, so over 10 hours you've saved money?

Yes that thought had occurred to me. Maybe when I get one I will perform a little experiment.
Lurker
Grafter

And the coffee break can then be officially called 'research'

Some in depth and prolonged research called for here I think Smiley
I'll publish a report of my findings in 18 month.
David_W
Rising Star

Nono, you *say* you are going to publish in 18 months, however...... It'll actually take 36 months and be 1,000 jars of coffee over budget, the vast majority of the report will be blanked out to protect the privacy of some of the coffee grains.  After the report another report will be commissioned which will actually state the complete opposite of your report, both reports will then be combined together to make one report and the final result will be "global warming is at fault"..... I'm getting cynical in my old age  Embarrassed
Community Veteran

Simple consideration of the thermodynamics makes it clear that the "keep it warm" option uses more power unless the kettle is perfectly insulated (in which case it's unnecessary anyway).
Presumably it saves time which is why people may be prepared to pay the cost.
Definitely NOT "green".
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Strat
We have a new kettle in the kitchen at work and it has a button on top which if pressed apparently keeps the water hot but not boiling.
Now when I make a cup of tea I boil sufficient water for my tea and the kettle is off until my next cup which could be an hour away.
Why would I want to keep the kettle hot when it's not needed Undecided

These kettles are actually on the list of appliances to be phased out because of energy wastage, along with high power consumption televisions when on standby, patio heaters (unless they have a highly directional heat focus), and many others. As we all know non-directional incandescent bulbs have already died a death.
Community Veteran

Quote from: nozzer
non-directional incandescent bulbs have already died a death.

No, you can get plenty, it depends on the filament technology.
I just bought some ordinary-looking bulbs that are actually halogens inside, so more efficient (and more expensive) than "traditional" bulbs.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

My apologies! I got some of those too. I should have said "incandescent bulbs with an efficiency rating of F or lower". I was amazed to see that those halogen-type bulb-shaped bulbs are actually rated as C, which is quite an improvement.
Community Veteran

For the little time it takes to boil a kettle for a cuppa I think I can do without the facility to keep the water warm  Undecided

And the general advice is to put in the kettle only the amount of water needed rather than filling it.