cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Electric Car for England

Community Veteran

Electric Car for England

Nissan have announced they are to make an electric car in England from 2013.
Electric Car
18 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Electric Car for England

Never Mind that lot up North, what about your own County in the same report
Ford's plans involve an investment of more than £1.5bn in six projects across four sites.
They will safeguard about 2,800 skilled jobs at its research centre in Dunton, Essex, and its factories in Dagenham, Essex, Southampton and Bridgend in South Wales.
About a quarter of all Ford engines worldwide and over half of its diesel engines are produced in the UK.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I don't get this electric car malarky at all. If it's a car driven by an electric motor which is powered from a battery which is charged from the mains, how can it be an overall improvement? The efficiency of electric power generation is overall about 35% (lower than either modern petrol or diesel engine efficiency) with all the pollution that burning coal/oil/gas carries with it (and they form the vast majority of base generation). So although you might be stopping pollution production locally (ie the car) it still takes place somewhere. 
If it's an electric motor driven by a hydrogen fuel cell (which is almost 100% efficient) the hydrogen still has to be produced by electrolytic processes, which are nowhere near 20% efficient! Unless someone has found some hydrogen mines.  Shocked
Community Veteran

I read in one report the batteries have a short life and will need replacing after a few years.  I wonder how much they cost Undecided
Community Veteran

Not sure about the cost of the battery, but I think the lithium metal is around $US7000/tonne. Judging by the projected usage in the attached graph that has only one way to go!
Community Veteran

Thanks for that Nozzer. Interesting.  It will be interesting to see what the price of the car is when it is on the market.
Lurker
Grafter

@Nozzer - Its the same NIMBYs who don't want power stations [green or otherwise] in their back yards.
It just moves the pollution elsewhere as you point out.
Even worse though - we already know that we don't have enough electricity generation to satisfy current demand as more and more stations go end of life.
Increasing demand is not particularly useful IMO.
But then I still believe that sensible driving, and good vehicle maintenance can do more use to us than the combined impact of keeping replacing things that aren't end of life with something that might save a little bit if we look at a single element of efficiency and forget about the dust-to-dust impacts.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

The electric car I saw on the TV report, could do 90 mph  (UK max speed limit is 70mph).....Hmm, Roll eyes.....    for a 100 mile journey, then needs to be re-charged....  Roll eyes
so how long does it take to charge up from (almost) flat. assuming you stop by a "public charging point", which just happens to be 100 miles from your home.....
and how much does it cost to charge up the car for the next 100 miles.... Estimate 8 hours charging is required.....
I live in Portsmouth, and want to go to Colwyn Bay, North Wales. for a week`s hols........ about 300 miles..... Journey time at present 5 - 6 hours depending on traffic, and stops for refreshment....
Using my nice eco friendly car for the journey, I will have to spend at least 2 nights in B&B whilst the car charges up and that will cost me (at least) £100  (two people) and then of course there is the return journey, (another 2 nights B&B) another £100 ....  Undecided  Oh and of course, I shall be spending 3 days travelling there, and three days travelling back, so will only have one day on hols, when I won`t be able to use the eco friendly electric car, because it will be on charge for the journey home.....!   Undecided
Won`t be economic..... as I will still have to have my trusty Skoda Fabia 1.9 Diesel to do that journey, plus any other journeys longer than 50 miles....... !  Undecided
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

Quote from: artmo
Nissan have announced they are to make an electric car in England from 2013.
Electric Car

Yep Seen it on BBC Look North News, what is good news for the North East.    Smiley  Wink
Fixes: 47

Currently they may be ok for commuting to work and back which means anyone who buys one will probably need two cars...a long haul one and a short haul one Roll eyes
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

@strat

Currently they may be ok

........... very droll !   Grin Grin Grin
Community Veteran

Following on from Shutter's comments I guess there is also the additional cost of using one of the charging points - can't see they will be free Undecided
pierre_pierre
Grafter

you could always use one of these
Community Veteran

Not very good for night driving on long distances though!.... you would only be able to use it on roads with street lighting ! ! !  Grin Grin Grin
Fixes: 47

...or carry a torch Smiley
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation