Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Electric Car anyone?

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Re: Electric Car anyone?

An industrial society and it's needs for labour made compliant by the introduction of democracy but now, no need as the wealth controllers and wealth holders can now disregard the masses all of whom will and in fact are servants subject to and fed by media manipulation. 

Beep beep. 😋

Community Veteran

The big question for me, concerning electric cars, is how affordable will a ten year old second hand one be?

Or will one even exist and still be a viable runner.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Well even now there is quite a demand for second hand ones but the problem is those batteries - but in ten years time... who knows?

Highlighted
VileReynard
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 18

I have never understood why electricity is seen as a "Green" alternative.

If you generate it centrally (for recharge purposes), you had better be prepared to build a few more power stations.

Plus buy in loads of Aluminium/Copper for the distribution network - these metals require horrendous amounts of expensive electrical power to refine to electrical standards.

If motorists were faced with the enormous infrastructure costs, it would never get off the ground.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Community Veteran

I suppose with an electric vehicle the skies the limit technical wise.

A good chance for big brother to make his move?

Maybe add a data pin to the charge plug, if there isn't one already there. Download all your travel details as you charge up at the supermarket. Or wirelessly send your travel speed to council computers, along with your bank details, so they can painlessly issue any fines.

Pie in the sky of course.....................

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@VileReynard 

Point taken, but as well as being pollution makers caused by production and power provision, vehicles are also pollution producers which not only adds to the problem but also poisons the air that we breathe. 

Not the entire solution, but it does go some way to making our city centres a lot cleaner and healthier than they have ever been in my lifetime and y'never know, by the time my time is done they will have phased out all fossil fuel vehicles from our roads - now wouldn't that be something!

Can't afford the electric cars but hey, at least the air is clean and free and that has to be a good thing, yes? 🤔

Community Veteran

Will the air be clean and free with all the extra power stations / power required?

I think this will only happen if, as it looks like, private vehicles are priced beyond the general public's means.

Which I think is the ultimate aim of "electric".

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Do we have power station in or near city centers?

I don't think so, and I well remember the one in Croydon years back and also in Battersea both of which churned out smoke by the ton. As for the midlands and the north I'm sure they fared much worse than the south east... and don't even get me started on Port Talbot.

Cough cough. 🙂

Community Veteran

@Minivanman wrote:

Do we have power station in or near city centers?

I don't think so

Yes that's true but we also don't have the ability to control the wind direction.

Radioactive Welsh lamb anyone.😁

VileReynard
Seasoned Champion

That's another task - nearly all nuclear power plants haven't got long to go before they finally expire.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Not long then once those spent rods have cooled down after 10 years after which they will remain dangerously radioactive for about 10,000 years.

Can't wait. 😋

Great idea, so lets build another one in north Wales once Labour gets in?

Err, no thanks Jezza. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50490159

Community Veteran

Maybe someone will eventually build a fabled nuclear fusion plant.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

Using EV cars for long journeys unless you are guaranteed a compatable charging point is risky.

There may also be some myth about the actual savings made....sure you save money as no tax is payable but in addition to the extra purchase cost of a new EV car there is also the running cost.

Let's say your current spend on petrol is £ 90 a month and an electric car costs £40 to charge for the same mileage....

looks like a good saving....but...the monthly rental fee for a battery depending on size of car could vary from £ 30 - £70.

And knowing the government once the majority get electric cars road tax could be introduced.

And if there is a power cut it could be a long walk to work

Community Veteran

@gleneagles wrote:

if there is a power cut it could be a long walk to work

I guess there needs to be the electric equivalent of a petrol can.

Even if it was possible asking a hundred or so passers by if they could wirelessly send a bit of their mobile phone charge would take a while.

VileReynard
Seasoned Champion

Can't expect the man from the AA to drop by with a gallon of electricity...