Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Electric Car anyone?

christianpjones
Rising Star

Re: Electric Car anyone?

@Champnet wrote:

Back in the early 70’s a young lady in the office offered me a lift in her Triumph Spitfire. Very embarrassingly I couldn’t figure how to get into the passenger seat. I had to be shown.... 

:grin:

See my reply above about the Exige. I eventually managed to master getting in but getting out usually involved either gouging my arm on the door latch or falling out sideways onto the tarmac.

Champnet
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

Not the most comfortable, but certainly the most scary was as a passenger in one of our engineer’s Lotus 7. It wasn’t the speed that worried me but the way it unnaturally gripped the road on very, very tight bends.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 43

This is an article on the BBC about electric cars that may be of interest to others.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48881117

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

Good article. :thumbsup:

Once we all drive electric in the UK you can bet your life those pesky foreigners will still have different plugs and sockets. So who is going to be first on the market with adaptors. Halfords? 

Highlighted
PowerLee
Rising Star

For the majority of people a plug in electric car are just a stop gap until hydrogen fuel cell technology & more importantly the infrastructure to refuel them comes on stream.

Lack of range & having to wait for a car to recharge is the reason I wont even consider a plug in EV.

There is a Tesla supercharger station near me with 6 charging points & the other week there where several people waiting for a charger to become available. 

The new 2.0 Hybrid power train from Toyota is probably the best compromise for most people at the moment until hydrogen fuel cell technology becomes widespread.

People just really want to pull in to a fuel filling station, put more fuel in the tank & then continue there journey - something that takes around 5 minutes.

Anonymous
Not applicable

IMHO ATM Hybrid is the best option.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Horses for courses surely as we all have different requirements.

I doubt if we do more than a hundred miles a week with the longest being a return journey to one of our daughters at just over that, so a bog standard affordable EV would be, well right up out street. 

Trouble is of course none of them are affordable for our needs or means ergo, it's not even an option.

Electric car? Yes please.

How much? No thanks. :rolleyes:

Baldrick1
Hero
Fixes: 89

@PowerLee wrote:

The new 2.0 Hybrid power train from Toyota is probably the best compromise for most people at the moment until hydrogen fuel cell technology becomes widespread.

The question has to be whether you need 180bhp for todays driving. You only get decent economy out of a hybrid if you drive it sensibly enough to get the maximum use from the battery. If you want to drive like a boy racer using the full capabilty of the 2 litre power plant then there won't be much advantage in paying for a hybrid. It's also difficult to justify the £1800 increased cost over the standard 1.8. My guess is that this model is geared for business users who are more concerned with personal tax savings than economy.

Community Veteran

I tend to think that current electric vehicles are somehow missing the point.

Personal vehicles range between luxury car and milk float. Most electric cars at the moment seem to be nothing more than a copy of conventionally fuelled luxury cars with all the bells and whistles. To be more practical cost and range wise surely they should be nearer the milk float end of the range.

It seems to me that if you want something that looks like a conventionally fuelled car then that's what you should buy. An electric car should be different. Certainly missing some of the usual power draining devices. Not just the same with a big battery. Electric cars should be finding their own niche.

wotsup
Champion

Electric car makers are less than honest about things. They quote charge times to 80%, that is because the remaining 20% takes ages. Also the batteries do not like to be fully charged as it damages them. EV makers have charging algorithms that with a new battery limit team discharge / charge area to between 30% and 80% to protect battery and as the battery ages they increase the envelope to maintain range, so after a year they may allow battery to charge to 85% and discharge to 25% and so on as it ages. This is why mos BEV have emergency switch to enable last 30% of battery to be accessed in emergency, but they don't regularly allow the bit to be accessed. I have read many tests of electric cars and they all find that once you go on a motorway at 70mph you can expect 2/3 of claimed range (300 miles becomes about 200 miles ) wet roads also hit range, as does cold weather. Range seems to be calculated at steady 50mph on a flat track..

TTman
Seasoned Pro

@wotsup Lets face it car manufaturers have always stretched the truth about the milgae figures. Things have improved slightly since VW got caught but you always have to take them with a pinch of salt. Not the most honest of industries.:sad::rolleyes:

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Don't all rush out and buy one, but green plates for electric vehicles?

Talk about putting the cart before the horse. Far better to increase that grant first which currently stands at a maximum of £3500 rather than pussyfoot around like this.

And will Councils reduce car parking fees. 

Fat chance, and even if they did this is no sort of bait for a car that is way beyond most peoples budget and to my mind is just taking the piddle.

Give me chastity and continence, but not yet.

St Augustine.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 43

@Minivanman Why should Council's reduce parking fees?

A car, in this instance, regardless of how it's propelled still occupies a space, a space that needs to be provided and maintained.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Indeed, and I for one would be a bit more than miffed if I could not park because an electric car was taking up a space free of charge and besides, at current prices if they can afford one of those ....

wotsup
Champion

The solar panels being installed all over UK do not work at night, and as a fudge that Rowntree would be proud of the boffins are suggesting ( robbing Peter to pay Paul ) that they can use BEV car batteries to store electricity and take power from some cars via the grid to supply power to others,  this means many more charge and discharge cycles for the batteries and a reduction in the life of the battery while the car is stationary, without driving anywhere.