cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Electric Car anyone?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 42

Electric Car anyone?

Does anyone here have an electric car, not a hybrid but an all electric one? My son is thinking of getting one Roll eyes but I’m sure that you need a special outlet for the sparks needed to charge it, getting one installed isn’t an issue but my question really is about how much power they consume while charging.

40 REPLIES 40
Crunchie
Rising Star

Re: Electric Car anyone?

Here you go

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-tech/electric-cars/96638/electric-car-charging-in-the-uk-prices-ne...

"The basic charger supplied with most electric cars and plug-in hybrid cars allows you to charge overnight using a standard 13-amp three-pin plug – although some come with a ‘Commando’ type plug for weatherproof outdoor applications. A typical maximum current draw of 3kW means a full charge usually requires up to eight hours."

"A home charging point will usually be fitted for free when you buy the car, thanks to Government grants to encourage EV use. You may want to upgrade to a 7kW charger if your car has the capacity to accept it, or if you want to ‘future proof’ your installation for an upgraded car you may one day purchase."

Pete
8BKA
Pro
Fixes: 4

Good morning  

You are correct you need a special supply point fitted wired from the incoming supply point which is checked to make sure the incoming supply is large enough

There is a government scheme to help with the cost but only to the owner of the car so if the car  leased its not available

If your son is buying new the dealer should have details

Brian A

Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

How will you be able to charge the car if you lived in a house that does not have a drive and the car can only be parked in the road outside or near to your house ?

Figures shown for distance shown on a fully charged battery are based on a new battery, is any information available on the reduction in miles based on the battery as it ages ?

Electric charging points are starting to appear all over the place but what happens when the majority of car users go electric ? Can there be charging points for all, with petrol or diesel cars it's fill up and go.....10 minutes at the most..,..electric cars....8 hours ?

Sure we need to take action on pollution but have all the long term issues on electric cars been thought through.

christianpjones
Rising Star

As far as I know EVs can be charged from an ordinary domestic socket, it just takes longer that way.

Do you mean how much does it cost to charge one? That depends on which car you've got, e.g. a Nissan Leaf with a 40 kWh battery would cost about £5 for a full charge; a Tesla Model S 100D with a 100 kWh battery would cost about £13 for the same. You could obviously reduce the cost if you've got Economy 7 and you only charge overnight.

8BKA
Pro

made a very good point so only people with a drive will be able to have an electric car

There will have to be chargeable charging point in streets on a first come first charge basis

Another problem will be the electricity supply network it works on a diversity factor ( ie not everyone will be using high load at the same time) will not be able to supply all the electric car being charged at the same time

Brian A

Community Veteran
Fixes: 42

Thanks everyone for the input all worth reading, but I think he needs to do a proper bit of research to make sure it doesn’t bite him in the bum as the last thing he needs is a shock!

I have just read that a typical cost for a home charging point install is 1K but there are grants available taking it down to about 300 so that's good news.

Crunchie
Rising Star

Don't forget to factor in the tax and fuel savings in the long term against those initial costs.

Also, investigate servicing costs and the warranty on the battery.  How long the battery will last and cost for replacementare a bit of a concern for me.

Also of concern is how big the carbon footprint is in the manufacture of these batteries - they're not exactly duracells.

Pete
Highlighted
8BKA
Pro

Most batteries for electric and hybrid  cars are leased because of the very high replacement cost

Brian A

8BKA
Pro

I found this very interesting about electric cars when I read it last year

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-6485323/After-four-months-nightmare-journeys-LOUISE-ATKIN...

Brian A

Fixes: 306

@christianpjones wrote:

You could obviously reduce the cost if you've got Economy 7 and you only charge overnight.

Electricity is cheaper over night because of the low demand.

With loads of electric vehicles charging over night, how long will it be before Economy 7 and other cheap night time rates are abolished.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 69.0.1 (64-bit)

Life is tough enough without adding Linux into the mix.
christianpjones
Rising Star

When I changed car a couple of months ago some kind of EV was top of my list (for personal economy reasons rather than anything else). The public charging infrastructure put me off. I'm not convinced this country's ready yet.

christianpjones
Rising Star

@Strat wrote:

@christianpjones wrote:

You could obviously reduce the cost if you've got Economy 7 and you only charge overnight.

Electricity is cheaper over night because of the low demand.

With loads of electric vehicles charging over night, how long will it be before Economy 7 and other cheap night time rates are abolished.

That's a very good point.

jab1
Hero
Fixes: 19

@8BKA wrote:

made a very good point so only people with a drive will be able to have an electric car

There will have to be chargeable charging point in streets on a first come first charge basis

Another problem will be the electricity supply network it works on a diversity factor ( ie not everyone will be using high load at the same time) will not be able to supply all the electric car being charged at the same time

Brian A

Have we even got enough capacity in the supply network? Think about the problems we could get if a couple of major power stations went down.

John
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

Still cart before the horse on this one.

Overpriced which is a pity, not enough power points or enough energy produced even only half of us had one, and still no means of recycling those batteries (which you have to lease I think) and that after five years use have to be sent overseas for processing.

Hate to sound down on this as I have long fancied one.