cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Electric Can Opener - your recommendations please

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Electric Can Opener - your recommendations please

Been using the old favourite hand winding can openers, but the hand that grips, is getting weak, and so the time has come, methinks, to buy an electric one...  

Not sure whether to buy one of the battery operated  ( runs around the can by itself type).  or a plug in mains operated one.

so,.. over to you guys... what do you use, and recommend ... also what do you recommend to avoid/ look for when deciding which one you bought and used.

11 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Electric Can Opener - your recommendations please

shutter wrote:

the hand that grips, is getting weak

I have a tiny one handed tin opener. No squeeze grippy part just turn the handle. Works well.

I also have a battery one, Culinare OneTouch, but it spends much of its time in the back of the cupboard. It works great but it eats batteries. It was 20p in a charity shop but it's the batteries that costs. No experience with any mains ones but for a lot of use I think that's the way to go. One other good thing is it cuts a nice clean edge around the side of the tin. Good tins for paint etc.

wisty
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Get a mains one.

Ours is a Kenwood CO600 and coming up 20 years old (a few tins each week). Still works OK.

Still available today, and at about the same price (£15) as I paid in 1997.

aljac

I agree with previous poster I had a Kenwood for years it broke just bought another the same and same price

Community Veteran

@aljac @wisty OK...thanks guys... just done a quick search on that one.. and it looks pretty good... £15.75 inc free delivery from Curry`s !...

mind you, I could go to the Factory Outlet shop about 5 miles down the road, and probably get it for half price ! ! .

@billnotben  Battery one?  Well  like you have found out... I was a bit worried about the battery consumption,... although I do have a good stock of rechargables,... it would be a pita when you want to open a tin of beans,( or something) and the batteries are useless... then you have to scrabble about  trying to find a good set of replacements.. by that time you are starving or dead ! ! ..

cheers guys....  Thanks Wink

Community Veteran

shutter wrote:

although I do have a good stock of rechargables,...

I did try rechargables in mine but they never had enough zing. Only good alki's would do. And as you might have guessed it usually comes to a halt halfway around a tin.Angry

I assume the mains model mentioned is easier to keep clean as well?

Community Veteran

Batteries not required:

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Sorted!

269.jpg

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

We happen to have both types, and neither cost us anything as they were "inherited" or came via Freecycle.

I generally use the battery "one touch" one as it's kept in the same cupboard as most of the tins, so handy and quick.

SWMBO mostly uses the mains one - a Kenwood.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

The hand held can openers never seem to last us more than a year or so.

This post has made up my mind to purchase the Kenwood co600.

From Curry's with free delivery.

Looked at the reviews on Amazon and most are favourable but there are a number of 1 star, no doubt some have quite genuine complaints as any item can be faulty or with bits missing but equally I wonder if some people are just thick and don't have enough intellegence to use the thing properly........

Course I have just ordered it....let's hope I can work it.!

Cheesy

Community Veteran

gleneagles wrote:

Course I have just ordered it....let's hope I can work it.!

Cheesy

Don`t forget to read the workshop manual, first ! ! .. Cheesy

wisty
Aspiring Pro

Just don't use it for sharpening knives whatever the workshop manual says. Its rubbish at it - at least in my hands. The grinding wheel is too coarse. A whetstone and some oil is much better.