Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Electric Bicycle?

Leapy
Aspiring Pro

Electric Bicycle?

Any views on Electric Bicycles?

Clearly there are a number of different new ones from around £250 or used at lessWink

I think battery recharging time is still an issue as is the number of recharges you can do, so I need to do some costings.Undecided 

I saw one like this one that has two motors and two batteries. So its road legal and can go up to 15mph for say  25miles before switching to the other motors and batteries for the return journey .... or off road (with both motors and batteries) at 30mph!

Blurb below and the cost? Around £1,000 new.

PedalEase Twin Motor Electric bike 
E-bike with Twin 36v 250w motors built in front and rear wheel. The bike has two 36v 15.5ah batteries and two 36v 250w motors which provides the rider with more advantages as under: 

Twin Motor E bike advantages 
😀 You get 2 * 36v 15.5 ah batteries = 36v * 31Ah which not only increases you range to around 50+ miles range with one motor assisting the other but also can enhances your speed. 
😀 You can just ride with one rear or front motor at a time at 15mph or use both motors together for off road speed of 30mph. 
😀 Even distribution of weight on the bike with two mini motors and batteries. 
😀 Most important you will never be out of power, if one motor or battery stops you can still go home with the second one. 

The rear motor has got the PAS connected for pedal assist riding also it is connected to the KTLCD3 handle bar display. The rear motor is also connected to thumb throttle along with front motor. One throttle can turn both motors at a time or one motor of your choice by turning off one of the batteries or handle bar switch. 

The front motor is similarly connect to the rear with the single throttle and also has a KT880 LED display 

This latest 2018 Model - upgraded 21 speed gears (3x7 speed shimano gear shifters) 

The KTLCD3 handlebar display has adjustable speed function, odometer , speedometer ,PAS and throttle function. Top speed 30mph using both motors together. 

Capture33.PNG

The pub is two minutes from my home, although my home is two hours from the pub,
9 REPLIES
Fixes: 70

Re: Electric Bicycle?

Does it attract Vehicle Excise Duty.

Doesn't it kind of defeat the object of a bicycle.

Just a couple of thoughts...open to debate.

Customer and Forum Moderator.

To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

I guess that if you were using the bike for work it would avoid you arriving all hot and sweaty assuming you worked in a office.

Equally if you were not all that fit an electric bike would allow you to travel much further afield.

Not sure if you could get nicked for being over the drink limit but if not travel to and from the pub would be easier.

Interesting that second hand electric bikes can be purchased much more cheaply, is it because of the novelty value wearing off or is there some long term flaw with them ie: motor burning out.

When I was a young lad I recall seeing some sort of contraption that could be fitted to a ordinary bike just behing the saddle, true it was petrol driven and the moving wheel could be hired or lowered with a lever but only ever recall seeing one of those.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

https://www.gov.uk/electric-bike-rules

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

@Leapy  It would appear that the bike you have in the original post, would not be usable without a licence, tax , etc in  England... according to the rules  

Its electric motor:

• must have a maximum power output of 250 watts
  • should not be able to propel the bike when it’s travelling more than 15.5mph

Any electric bike that doesn’t meet the EAPC rules is classed as a motorcycle or moped and needs to be registered and taxed. You’ll need a driving licence to ride one and you must wear a crash helmet.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

My son,s friend has a Electric bike , his dad bought for him , yes wow its more like a mobility scooter  Shocked

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

With regards to using one if you have been drinking, apparently on a 'normal' bike it is illegal to ride one under the influence of drink or drugs - so at the very least the same would apply to electric bikes?

Interestingly, a police officer cannot force you to provide a breath, blood or urine sample so how the former can be prosecuted is a puzzle.

I know where I am, I've been lost here before.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

@Minivanman

Even if they did prosecute you as, ' being unfit to be in charge of a bike' or danger to other road users or whatever I doubt they could ban you from using a bike. Thus leaving you free to repeat the offence.

If you injured someone other than yourself well that might be a different matter but doubt they could ban you.

At one time you would likely end up in court for riding a bike on the pavement, these days nobody bothers.

On the general subject of electric bikes I see you can convert a existing bike to electric from a kit available from ebay and other sources, a new front wheel which contains a electric motor and all necessary cables and charger are supplied approx £300.

A battery is required at around £ 200.

No idea how it compares to a new electric bike but is a option for those into diy.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Or there's the "GasBike" kits where you fit a small 2-stroke engine (akin to those inside a strimmer) on the bike and have the option of being able to refuel on the go... Smiley

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

An old girlfriend of mine used to ride one of these around Paris.

Ah, the 60s. Cool smiley

Capture.PNG

I know where I am, I've been lost here before.