cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Election Result - your comments please !

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Re: Election Result - your comments please !

Breaking news:

Brexit bill backed, 358 - 234.

Dare we start a new thread about actually leaving the EU? 😨

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@Minivanman 

Interesting times ahead.....we should never have agreed to the EU demand that nothing is agreed until everything is agreed.

That statement may well rebound on the EU.

As I understand it Boris wants the option of a no deal on the table if things are not agreed by the end of next year....hopefully this will concentrate minds in the EU and reduce the chance of keeping the talking going for years.

Whatever we think of Johnson no one can be in any doubt it’s full steam ahead for leaving the EU.

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

Ever wondered the correct procedure for folding an EU flag ?

1. fold it lengthwise in the centre then fold again until you have a strip about 200mm wide

2. Now fold it again lengthwise until you have a square

3. fold again into a triangle

4. lift the lid and drop it into the dustbin...( or save it for the bonfire on 31st Jan 2020 )

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

@Minivanman wrote:

Breaking news:

Brexit bill backed, 358 - 234.

And refreshing that Linseed Oil did not allow any amendments ... The poison dwarf would have allowed about 50....

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 9

@wotsup, the LibDems seem to have forgotten that we had our final say as recently as eight days ago.  What the document in your post shows is that they won't support the bill unless it guarantees our continued membership of the EU!

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

What will Christmas dinner 2020 be like ? 

All your favourite things, but no Brussels ! 

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 44

@wotsup - but I like my sprouts.😭Grin

John
Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 5

I've not seen any decent sprouts on stalks in any of the supermarkets so far this year, they all seem to be more stalk than sprouts.  I prefer it when they're closely packed on the stalk like this 

Image result for sprouts on stem"

rather than the spindly offerings I've seen with huge gaps before the next sprout appears.  Sad

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

My Mrs has been buying them for years and not just at Christmas, and I've refused to eat them... even at Christmas.

Go figure, and go figure why anybody even likes the taste of the damn things. 😃

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

Buying sprouts on the stalk, ( and other veggies in similar fashion .. tomatoes "on the vine"etc) ...has been "trendy" for a few years now.... it is one of the biggest cons that the sellers get away with.... they are selling the produce by weight ( even if it is not actually weight priced) .. so you are getting less produce per £... and also they are getting YOU to dispose of the stalk/vine etc... saving the sellers the cost of removing the produce from the stalk/vine  and the disposal costs as well...

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Just so long as the don't start trying to sell us coconuts on trees!

😂

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 5

@shutter wrote:

Buying sprouts on the stalk, ( and other veggies in similar fashion .. tomatoes "on the vine"etc) ...has been "trendy" for a few years now.... it is one of the biggest cons that the sellers get away with.... they are selling the produce by weight ( even if it is not actually weight priced) .. so you are getting less produce per £... and also they are getting YOU to dispose of the stalk/vine etc... saving the sellers the cost of removing the produce from the stalk/vine  and the disposal costs as well...

@shutter 

I too used to think buying sprouts on the stalk was a trendy con, until I bought one a few years ago because the loose ones on offer at that time looked a bit sorry for themselves.  Since then I always try to buy them that way.

Why, you may ask?  Simple really, they stay so much fresher on the stalk, whilst the loose ones are drying out and deteriorating as soon as they're picked, plus it's surprising how many sprouts you get on a well populated stalk like the ones in the image above.

I've tried several different brands of frozen ones but unlike peas, beans, etc. they're nothing like the fresh variety.

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

@Minivanman wrote:

My Mrs has been buying them for years and not just at Christmas, and I've refused to eat them... even at Christmas.

Go figure, and go figure why anybody even likes the taste of the damn things. 😃

The taste of sprouts has been changing over last 20 years or so as they are bred to remove the 'bitter' taste they used to have.  If you tried one of the varieties from 10 to 20 years ago and then a 'new' one ( the ones supermarkets sell now ) you may be surprised how much sweeter they taste these days.... whether they have removed the other unfortunate side effect ( gas production ) is another matter....

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Well as sure as eggs the Mrs has bought them again this year so rather than chase them around my plate come Christmas dinner time (yeh, she still dishes 'em up) I'll give it a go.

As you say rather bitter for some but it'll be interesting to see if the taste has changed.... and that outcome.😉

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

@wotsup wrote:

The taste of sprouts has been changing over last 20 years or so as they are bred to remove the 'bitter' taste they used to have.

I gave up growing old varieties many many years ago. After I tried an f1 version with smaller sprouts. They tasted so much better without any bitterness. The only problem I had with them was they grew faster so to avoid the sprouts sprouting they had to be planted later.