cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Election Result - your comments please !

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 8

Re: Election Result - your comments please !

@wotsup wrote:

Gerrymandering has been carried out for a long time, moving constituency boundaries to corral voters and turn a safe and marginal seat into two pretty safe seats... surprised that it is actually legal, as it consolidates position of party in power and makes it harder to remove them..

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerrymandering

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.

@wotsup  For once I agree with you! But does that not arise from the Sovereignty of Parliament, that could overrule the Executive's decision to monkey with the Boundary Commission recommendations, if it were more brave?

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Highlighted
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

@TeeGee wrote: The Boundaries Commision needs to get constituencies sorted out as even without the FPTP system denying voters representation it would seem that Scotland has an excess of seats in relation to its population. Reducing the size of both the Commons and Lords would be a step forward.

I must admit I was staggered to see how many Scottish MP's there are for only 5m people. Seems the English make do with 70,000 people per MP, whereas in Scotland it's nearer 60,000. Interesting also to read that the SNP would not have got as many MP's if the election had been held under PR...... "Had the election been run under a system of proportional representation, it would have seen the SNP take 27 seats, the Tories 15, Labour 11, and the Lib Dems 6". Source 

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 5

@Luzern wrote:

Talk of gloating over those favouring Remain, insulting language of those who disagreed with your viewpoint, seeming to wish  those of opposition belief: all that hatred and triumphalism seems hardly a route to reconciliation within this land. I sincerely hope it will die down quickly.

@Luzern 

Ahh ... you mean like the words (allegedly) of arch-Remoaner Emily Thorn(in-the-side)berry?  Wink

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

Gotta love this comment from stupid Labour MP for Wigan Lisa Nandy... the scale of their defeat still not sunk in obviously.  She still thinks her vote in parliament matters ( and she thinks that because she is a woman that she has a good chance of being party leader, positive discrimination at its finest ) , but the days of Conservative government relying on Labour MPs for votes are long gone - as are the days of having to suck up to their own remainer MPs,  and speaker Linseed Oil looks to be a bit less biased than the poison dwarf..

'And over on The Andrew Marr Show on BBC1, Wigan MP and possible Labour leadership contender Lisa Nandy said that she would consider again voting for Boris Johnson's Brexit Bill at the key Second Reading stage - widely expected to be this Friday - but only if it could then be watered down.

"I will vote for it on the basis that he and his team are willing to consider options like a customs union at committee stage - that was the basis on which I voted for it last time. And I have reached out to members of his team. I would be surprised to be honest... I think we are looking at the hardest of hard Brexits and I will not vote for that."

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

@Luzern wrote:

Talk of gloating over those favouring Remain, insulting language of those who disagreed with your viewpoint,

My personal take on the coming EU negotiations is that, whilst we may not expect any favours, because the EU is batting for itself

You seem to be oblivious to the scale of the remain vitriol since 2016 against those who voted leave,  and their vilification of the leave voters.  One leave voting academic said that 'coming out ' and admitting he voted leave to colleagues was harder than 'coming out' and admitting he was gay in the 1980's ( when it was not so fashionable to be gay ).

The EU is in no position to be hard nosed anymore, the false confidence given to them by remainer antics in country and parliament that we may never leave has now evaporated and reality has to set in,  for instance the £70billion black hole in EU budget,  and the fact that EU is officially in recession - and we do start trade negotiations from a position of absolute alignment, and it is getting alignment that takes so long in most third country trade talks..

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

I've read nothing about positive discrimination coming into play for electing a new Labour leader - not that it would surprise me as it is part of their selection process at local level. 

It stinks of course and anybody that gets a position based on sex, colour, religion, disability or no doubt soon to be considered gender identification, needs to take a long hard look at themselves. 

Jordon Peterson gave a good account of this when interviewed by Cathy Newman on Channel Four recently. To say he tore her argument on equal pay and opportunities for women to shreds would not be an understatement.

Highlighted
Hero

@wotsup wrote:

@Luzern wrote:

Talk of gloating over those favouring Remain, insulting language of those who disagreed with your viewpoint,

My personal take on the coming EU negotiations is that, whilst we may not expect any favours, because the EU is batting for itself

You seem to be oblivious to the scale of the remain vitriol since 2016 against those who voted leave,  and their vilification of the leave voters.  One leave voting academic said that 'coming out ' and admitting he voted leave to colleagues was harder than 'coming out' and admitting he was gay in the 1980's ( when it was not so fashionable to be gay ).

The EU is in no position to be hard nosed anymore, the false confidence given to them by remainer antics in country and parliament that we may never leave has now evaporated and reality has to set in,  for instance the £70billion black hole in EU budget,  and the fact that EU is officially in recession - and we do start trade negotiations from a position of absolute alignment, and it is getting alignment that takes so long in most third country trade talks..

Not to mention the wasted time, loss of bargaining power, and multiple £Billions lost caused purely by their foot-dragging straw-clutching obstinate refusal to accept the 2016 result, instead lending weight to the EUs negotiating hand.  Angry

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

@Minivanman wrote:

I've read nothing about positive discrimination coming into play for electing a new Labour leadert.

quote from Spectator article below - I have also read that 'next leader should not just be Corbyn without the beard'

Labour will now go all out to change their image,  and that will include getting a female leader ( conservatives have had two, labour none )

Next Labour leader 'should be a woman'

McDonnell denied that he was seeking to engineer the next leadership contest in favour of the Shadow Business Secretary Rebecca Long-Bailey, but he made sure to draw attention to several female candidates (though he was less keen on the idea of Jess Phillips*):

JM: It's interesting how many women are actually there... I think it should be a woman leader next time around... I don't think there's... much difference in terms of policy.  

(note *Jess Phillips - an MP with a mouth like a fishwife from deepest Birmingham )

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

@wotsup wrote:

Gotta love this comment from stupid Labour MP for Wigan Lisa Nandy... the scale of their defeat still not sunk in obviously. 

This one beats that.... by Jerzza.....   ( you gotta wonder what planet he is on..... ! ! )  Grin

We won the argument, but I regret we didn’t convert that into a majority for change

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

@wotsup 

Well yes, and I have no problem with it being a women and never would have, but if he is suggesting that she should be leader because she is a woman then that is a different matter entirely.

Maybe PC is something else that gets up the noses of even the most ardent of Labour supporters when ideology is replaced with this sort of thing.  Equal opportunties fine, unbalanced imposition most certainly not.

Link for that Jordan Peterson interview by the way. 

Highlighted
Hero

@wotsup wrote:

(note *Jess Phillips - an MP with a mouth like a fishwife from deepest Birmingham )

Thumbs_Up

Spot on (IMO)!

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 8

@RobPN wrote:

@Luzern wrote:

Talk of gloating over those favouring Remain, insulting language of those who disagreed with your viewpoint, seeming to wish  those of opposition belief: all that hatred and triumphalism seems hardly a route to reconciliation within this land. I sincerely hope it will die down quickly.

@Luzern 

Ahh ... you mean like the words (allegedly) of arch-Remoaner Emily Thorn(in-the-side)berry?  Wink

@RobPN  My comments are regardless of the words being from a remoaner or brexshitter

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I had to laugh (nearly) at that new online BBC news article titled "What's it like being a new MP?"

I think that could be answered simply by - It's like Christmas has come early.

Highlighted
Hero

@billnotben wrote:

..."What's it like being a new MP?"

I wonder how many old ex-MPs will be down at their local Job Centre this morning?  Not many I guess, as they're probably not skint like most people with no job.

Highlighted
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 129

I dont think they'll be on the bread line

Resettlement Grant

The Resettlement Grant motherhood is the name given to the MPs' severance pay package. It may be claimed to help former MPs with the costs of adjusting to life outside parliament. It is payable to any Member who ceases to be an MP at a general election. The amount is based on age and length of service, and varies between 50% and 100% of the annual salary payable to a Member of Parliament at the time of the dissolution.[2]

In the UK the first £30,000 of severance pay is tax-free. As stated above, the amount retiring MPs, or those who lose their seats receive, depends on how old they are and how long they have served in the House. For example, an MP who stays in office for one term (say 5 years) and then leaves office will currently receive tax-free severance pay of 50% of their current salary, or £32,383 at current rates – equivalent to an annual salary increment of over £12,000 at current tax rates and pay scales.[25]