cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Election Result - your comments please !

Highlighted
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 129

Re: Election Result - your comments please !

Saw this on another forum I frequent, made me smile...

It's that magic time of the year when young, immature minds believe that a grey-haired bearded man will bring them lots of free gifts. Meanwhile, everyone else is voting Conservative.

Highlighted
Fixes: 458

I don't agree with the election result.

Can we have a best of 3 please.

*Coat...

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 79.0 (64-bit)

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 43

@Strat - This was effectively 3 of 3, despite two of them being 'dressed-up' as GE's😉

John
Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

@jab1 wrote:

@Strat - This was effectively 3 of 3, despite two of them being 'dressed-up' as GE's😉

Remoaners still believe that

1) voters did not know what they were voting for,

2) voters were misled,

3) voters have changed their minds. 

4) enough old, stupid, easily led bigoted voters have died since 2016  that they can now win.

Now they will want best of 5 ( or knowing remainers if they have another one with a 49.5% leave / 50.5% remain result it will cancel out the previous 3 votes - and they would be very happy to claim 1% as 'a resounding margin' LOL ).

Alistair Campbell is a typical remoaner, look at this clip where Piers Morgan is trying to get him to accept that after the conservative landslide victory that vote leave campaign is now dead and should shut up ... gets quite heated..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cdi9oWWEk_w

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 140

Does that mean that if the Scots were to have a referendum and it came out for independence then that would make it a draw. Hence a third decider would be required?

Highlighted
Hero

@wotsup wrote:

@jab1 wrote:

Remoaners still believe that

1) voters did not know what they were voting for,

2) voters were misled,

3) voters have changed their minds. 

4) enough old, stupid, easily led bigoted voters have died since 2016  that they can now win.

Now they will want best of 5 ( or knowing remainers if they have another one with a 49.5% leave / 50.5% remain result it will cancel out the previous 3 votes - and they would be very happy to claim 1% as 'a resounding margin' LOL ).

Alistair Campbell is a typical remoaner, look at this clip where Piers Morgan is trying to get him to accept that after the conservative landslide victory that vote leave campaign is now dead and should shut up ... gets quite heated..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cdi9oWWEk_w

As one of those who said 'NO' 40 years ago or so, and has never changed his mind, I can see what you mean @wotsup , but there is no way that they can be claiming that with a straight face, surely?

Unless they assume everyone (other than them, of course) didn't realise what the original referendum, or the two subsequent 'GEs' was about, they are being blind or stupid..Voters knew very well what they were voting for, some obviously HAVE changed their minds - hence the Conservative majority in the HoC, and although obviously some of the older voters have died, it looks like their younger replacements are even stupider, easily led and bigoted.😄.

Sorry, much as I'd love to see Campbell trampled, I'm afraid I can't watch either him or Morgan without wanting to throw something at them, and I don't want to break the laptop screen, so I'll pass

John
Highlighted
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

@Baldrick1  Almost certainly. And then some people would still moan.

At the end of the day I don't care what percentage voted or what the result is. If its the opposite of what I wanted, it isn't an issue. That is what democracy is all about. Accept the result and move on. Everyone who is eligible to vote has that chance to make a difference on the day. Over the years, some elections I haven't even bothered to vote. Why? Because I couldn't see much light between the various parties. This time around I could.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

There is a lot of talk of 'Russian interference' in US and UK elections, but what about EU

interference ?  https://facts4eu.org/news/2019_nov_eu_interference_in_election

I have noticed veiled threats by EU ( and some not so veiled ) - including 'we will never give

UK a good trade deal' and the comments by Tusk in link.

After the 3rd Brexit vote ( pro-Brexit Tory landslide ) EU now has to accept that Brexit will happen

and their tone has changed to one of damage limitation, saying we want a close co-operation with UK

etc... but until the writing was on the wall they kept up a barrage of anti-Brexit propaganda that

Lord Haw-Haw would have been proud of..

Highlighted
Hero

The EU didn't want us, as the third-largest net contributor, to go, as it will mean they will have to find the funds from elsewhere to continue their policies - and who will end up paying? I'm guessing a lot of this will fall on Germany and France, and as both countries already have some financial uncertainties, they won't be happy.

They (the EU), failed to scare us into remaining, but we are still an important market for a lot of EU countries, and they are well  aware of it - hence the slightly more intelligent noises coming out of Brussels - but we will still have to keep our wits about us, or we risk still being shafted.

John
Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 9

@wotsup wrote:

... the comments by Tusk in link.

And don't forget his threat of a special place in hell, thereby revealing his real identity as a booking clerk for the devil.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

If we can believe what we get from the media (and of course we do!) there certainly seems to be a softening of tone from Brussels - much like the now tail between their legs articles in the Guardian.

Serves 'em both right.

As for the past three years of nasty insults and jibes from the Bremain Brigade it's payback time and yes, I do love to gloat. 

Highlighted
Pro

Even without PR a GE results in a government that a very large percentage did not vote for. 30% of a 70% turnout, for example, is not a majority. That is the benefit of a referendum. It shows quite clearly what the result is often to the surprise of those who found that it did not go their way.

The Boundaries Commision needs to get constituencies sorted out as even without the FPTP system denying voters representation it would seem that Scotland has an excess of seats in relation to its population. Reducing the sisize of both the Commons and Lords would be a step forward.

Even on the principle of voting for the least worst I am still surprised that so many people still voted for Labour when they did have an alternative of staying at home or voting LibDem.

What would I like to happen now? There are so many aspects of the economy and society that need attention I just do not know where to begin!

Highlighted
Champion
Fixes: 1

@TeeGee  It will be interesting to see if Boris will push thro the boundary changes that have been proposed as this will reduce the number of MPs and also increase the advantage he has over labour I think i heard???

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

Gerrymandering has been carried out for a long time, moving constituency boundaries to corral voters and turn a safe and marginal seat into two pretty safe seats... surprised that it is actually legal, as it consolidates position of party in power and makes it harder to remove them..

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerrymandering

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.
Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 8

Talk of gloating over those favouring Remain, insulting language of those who disagreed with your viewpoint, seeming to wish  those of opposition belief: all that hatred and triumphalism seems hardly a route to reconciliation within this land. I sincerely hope it will die down quickly.

My personal take on the coming EU negotiations is that, whilst we may not expect any favours, because the EU is batting for itself, as the UK will be batting for itself, accepting what has been filtered by one's favourite newspaper without some skepticism is somewhat lacking in sense, or worse nearing paranoia.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.