cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Electic shavers

Fixes: 123

Electic shavers

SWMBO has asked what I'd like for Christmas this year.
As I'm fed up with the cost of razor blades and the hassle that goes with wet shaving I am contemplating an electric shaver but unsure if they are suitable and what may be best.
I have quite sensitive facial skin which often goes red and blotchy for a couple of days after shaving. I tend to only shave very two three weeks partly because of this and partly due to the fact that it doesn't grow back very quickly and it's quite patchy.
Are all shavers basically the same? Is there something I should look out for/avoid? Ideally I want a re-chargeable. Any suggestions, please?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

113 REPLIES
Steve
Pro

Re: Electic shavers

Shopping for your own present? Genius!
Community Veteran

I use a Remington rechargeable but only to back up the wet shave if I'm going out in the evening. I find they are not as close as a wet shave. If you go to the Remington site there are some good prices. Make sure you get one with a trimmer.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Any suggestions, please?

Grow a beard!
Community Veteran

Wet shave, but add a couple of drops of 100% tea tree oil to the shaving water before shaving.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.

Quote from: nozzer
Any suggestions, please?

Grow a beard!

Longest I've left it has been three weeks after which it itches like mad and looks bloody awful Embarrassed
I'll have a gander at the Remington site.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Fixes: 47

I use a Philips triple rotor type rechargeable.
It is a wet or dry shaver but I've never had it wet as it seems to defeat one of the objectives of an electric shaver.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Been using a "philishave"... rotary shaver since ........ well.... about 50 years.! ! ! ... works really good... originally was one rotary ,,... then upgraded to two... and now three... my facial skin is still in good condition ....even allowing for my age..!... and I do not have a " 7 o`clock shadow "...
Best thing about it, is that if you shave early(ish) in the morning... and feel the need for a re-shave, later on in the day.( going out somewhere )... it can be done whilst dressing in the bedroom, ( or wherever )... and it doesn`t scrape your skin....
I have had about 5 or 6 over the years, mainly as an "upgrade" or because I felt that the blades needed renewing, and it was just as cheap to get a new shaver...
This is the model I got last year....
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PHILIPS-Philishave-HQ6970-HQ-6970-Mens-Rechargeable-Rotary-Electric-Shaver...
( although I think mine was about £10 cheaper ).....
As for battery life, after a full charge and shaving every morning, it still runs after 7 days...( usually charge up on a Saturday night )....
I did try the " straight " type of shaver, but found that it tended to "push" the skin into a fold, and miss quite a lot... also made my face sore.... !
Community Veteran

Philishave!
Bin using one for years! Cheesy
Geoff,
York.

Thanks for those. I think her budget will stretch to 60 squid or, maybe, a little more Wink

Community Veteran

I use a Braun Contour 5895 rechargeable shaver which sits in a dock for recharging and cleaning.
I also have very sensitive skin and even the electric shaver tends to bring me up in a couple of spots although nothing near as bad as a razor based shave used to.
I get on quite well with it but then only really shave a couple of times a week anyway.
nanotm
Pro

Quote from: Mav
Thanks for those. I think her budget will stretch to 60 squid or, maybe, a little more Wink

tell her to wait for the pre christams sale boots always offer massive discounts in the run up to xmass, I got the £160 version of the philishave for 40quid with the bonus vouchers from her boots advantage card a few years ago (they dropped the price by 70% as part of the sale) it worked for about a month until one of the kids dropped it while messing about but lucky me I got it replaced for free at boots Smiley
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you

We already discussed that we'll wait to see what the sales may bring both pre and post Christmas - I'm not bothered if I don't get in the day Wink
I never realised there' so much choice available Shocked

Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

Quote from: Mav
Quote from: nozzer
Any suggestions, please?

Grow a beard!

Longest I've left it has been three weeks after which it itches like mad and looks bloody awful Embarrassed
You have to stick with it through that phase and then it's fine. What's a shaver ?? Grin I've had a beard for about 40 years. Smiley

No thanks, especially as the missus doesn't like beards Wink
I hate shaving with a passion so if I can get an electric one that I can quickly and easily use every couple of days I'll be happy!