Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

El Niño

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

El Niño

Forecast centres around the world have now declared that an El Niño, the most powerful fluctuation in our climate system, has begun in the tropical Pacific.
What does that mean for UK weather?
http://www.itv.com/news/granada/2015-05-22/el-nino-has-started-what-does-that-mean-for-uk-weather/

10 REPLIES
Steve
Pro

Re: El Niño

To save anyone reading all that bumf here is the answer to the op question, taken from the above link, just a tiny paragraph of what it means for us here in the UK
There has been some media speculation about how the El Niño conditions could impact our weather over the coming months.
However, even a strong El Niño only slightly changes the risk of extreme UK spring and summer weather, and we wouldn’t expect it to be the dominant driver of our weather over the next few months.
Looking further ahead, there are a number of factors that affect winter conditions in Britain. The increase in risk of a colder winter this year from the developing El Niño is currently considered small.
Community Veteran

I worked in Peru and it's a big deal out there  Angry
Whole villages and roads washed off mountainsides due to flash floods  Embarrassed
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: PeterLoftus
Whole villages and roads washed off mountainsides due to flash floods  Embarrassed

Well, if they insist on building there......... Huh
Infinity
Pro

I wonder if El Niño has anything to do with the Hot weather in the UK forecast for next week ?
Community Veteran

Given smart people in the meteorological profession have said it will barely have any effect whatsoever for us in the UK, I'd say it'll have barely any effect whatsoever for us in the UK... Grin
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: PlusComUK
I wonder if El Niño has anything to do with the Hot weather in the UK forecast for next week ?

There ain't any hot weather forecast on the Met Office web site for next week.
Community Veteran

You mean the Daily Mail has lied to it's readers?  Grin
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

WhatHuh The DM doesn't tell the whole truth? My flabber has never been so gasted!
Community Veteran

I think the clue is in the name.
El Niño.
If it really had a great effect on our weather it would have been named "big wind" or "Gaelic gale".
Community Veteran

I think the op is referring to chaos theory as it applies to weather. A small effect such a a butterfly flapping its wings can set off a major storm on the other side of the planet.
Or otherwise the big Cray computers for predicting the weather were a complete waste of time and money.  Wink
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra