Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eh, what, pardon?

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Eh, what, pardon?

Well there's a surprise in all my years to be told by my doctor t'day that the NHS no longer syringe your ears our for you either at the surgery or down at the hospital. 

Eh, what, pardon?

So now you have to 'go private' if you want your blocked up lugholes washed out.

Oh yes, trying to make out what somebody is saying behind that now obligatory face mask when you are hard of hearing is not easy either. 

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
32 REPLIES 32
Mook
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 2

Re: Eh, what, pardon?

Use Olive Oil in your ears, just a couple of drops each day for a couple of weeks (if needed) and the wax will soften and come out all by itself.

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

@Minivanman 

Bit of a foolish decision, some will be tempted to poke all sorts of things into their ears to remove the wax causing it to compact more or in some cases do permanent damage to their ears.

@Mook 

Good suggestion.....for some.....

If you wear hearing aids the soft wax will block the fine tubes which will need constant clearing and you will still not be able to hear properly for several weeks until the wax has gone.

Ideal opportunity to set up a business, home visits to syringe people’s ears....£ 40 a visit....plenty of work out there.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
Mook
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 2

To be honest I can't take credit for it, I heard a nurse telling a patient it's what they recommend to patient as they only syringe as a last resort.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

I've done the olive oil bit, in fact the doctor even gave me a prescription for some olive oil drops and that's a first as I usual use those myself on a fairly regular basis and if my ears start to feel bit a clogged.

Still odd though that the NHS no longer provide the service. Whatever next I'm left wondering. 

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

@gleneagles wrote:

@Minivanman 

Bit of a foolish decision, some will be tempted to poke all sorts of things into their ears to remove the wax causing it to compact more or in some cases do permanent damage to their ears.

I've been doing that for years anyway due to chronic itching deep down inside them. Best tool i've found so far is the rotary tool diamond bits:

screenshot-1224

Not only are they excellent at getting behind the itchy / waxy bit and scratching / pulling it out, if you rotate them between your fingers they bring super awesome relief. You can vary the depth (and touch the eardrum - as I have many times - and have a great time telling your audiologist how well they work! But seriously, you can pick out huge lumps of wax with these - they're far superior to cotton buds and car keys. Oh yes.. and i also suffer with tinnitus.

However I didn't find that the ear washing thing worked very well for me anyway. The very best treatment i've ever had is the microsuction / vacuum cleaner where they literally suck out all the [-Censored-] inside the ear. I kid you not, when i get that treatment i can literally feel it sucking out [-Censored-] from so far down inside my ear canals that the difference is immediately noticeable along with the relief that it brings. The first time i had it done i literally felt something get sucked out from what must have been a good couple of inches deep - it was utterly brilliant. The downside is that you can't get this treatment easily - i've begged my local audiologist to give me a repeat appointment every 6 months but i get told it's not allowed.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@7up 

I'm not sure that @gleneagles 'foolish decision' was actually aimed at myself.

As for all those tools.... blimey! 😋

Shep41
Pro
Fixes: 4

I have a family friend who is a consultant audiologist who told me once that you should never put anything smaller than your elbow in to your ears.
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@Shep41 

I was told that once, apparently. 😉

RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 5

I've heard that too!  Cheesy

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

@Shep41 wrote:
I have a family friend who is a consultant audiologist who told me once that you should never put anything smaller than your elbow in to your ears.

I've been told that multiple times too but when the dam things are driving you mad itching, you really don't have any choice - you need relief from it.

The only other relief i manage to get is when they're sucked out - i get almost no itching for weeks to a few months but as they won't do this for me on a regular basis i am forced to perform DIY maintenance on my ears.

The daft thing is when i first had it done the audiologist warned me that most people don't like it and it can cause mild dizziness. I was on a total high afterwards - it felt great! The guy couldn't believe it and found it funny just how much i loved what he'd just done. I didn't feel dizzy at all but my ears felt so much better. I've pleaded with him to give me repeat appointments but he refuses every time.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
artmo
Community Veteran

The NHS does still do earwax removal. GPs used to get an extra payment for doing the job but when it was stopped they decided not to do the procedure anymore. I was recently referred to the ENT department at the local hospital and they did it for me. They did it by micro-suction and it worked well.

The ENT consultant even asked if I would like a full hearing test which he arranged for me.

As we get older the wax builds up more quickly. The hospital is phoning me next week to make another appointment to repeat the procedure.

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

Whilst I am not recommending this procedure to anyone I simply get a 20ml syringe and fill it with tepid soapy water and syringe my own ears.

Works for me every time.

Remember you will feel dizzy for a few minutes afterwards.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@artmo 

Now that's interesting as the GP told me that the ENT department in the local hospital no longer do the procedure - so what's going on.

As we know GP's act as gatekeepers for those hospital appointments so I cannot just turn up. Maybe it's different here in Wales than elsewhere.

Curiouser and curiouser, but I have the email address of the ENT department so I might just drop them a line. 

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Went round the houses as you do when you phone hospitals (I decided to phone rather than email) and got through to the ENT secretary who confirmed the procedure was no longer provided. 

What a palaver, we cannot get a simple job like this done on the NHS, yet ask about gender reassignment and have your willy chopped off no problem.

Sheesh.