cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eggshells

Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

Eggshells

As a young lad I spent some time on a farm and a group of us tried to break a hen's egg with one hand but no one managed to do so yet during the past few months both swmbo and myself have accidently broken several eggs simply by holding them.

Clearly the shells are much thinner these days, even those we have bought off the market or direct from a farm and classed as barn eggs.

I guess if some of the foods we are sold are not that good for our health there will be little consideration given to what is fed to chickens.

Either that or we have both become super strong from eating lots of eggs.

Wink

8 REPLIES
RobPN
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Eggshells

@gleneagles wrote:

As a young lad I spent some time on a farm and a group of us tried to break a hen's egg with one hand but no one managed to do so ...

As I recall it you had to hold the egg in a certain way, i.e. the 'blunt' end in the hollow of your palm and the 'pointed' end in the crook of your middle fingers.

@gleneagles wrote:

... yet during the past few months both swmbo and myself have accidently broken several eggs simply by holding them.

I think that may have been due to squeezing the eggs in a direction which didn't conform to the above.  Wink

When I was a lad I managed to break one which had been handed to me by one of a group of peers despite placing the egg correctly in my hand.  It didn't take that much force but I think that may have been because the egg was rotten which I guess must have affected the strength of the shell.  Luckily it only went over my hand!  Smiley

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

There's several reasons why hens eggs may be weak. The most common is the hens are not getting enough available calcium in their diet. If  they're fed the right dietary chicken "layers" pellets as food it's rarely a problem as the right amount of of calcium is in the mix. Needless to say, our free range chickens refuse to eat pellets so we add crushed 5 mm oyster shell to their grain feed mix.

Given the razor thin margins in egg production, no doubt some farmers attempt to cut corners.

This never seems to be a problem with cockerels.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 35

When I first saw the title of this post I thought it was in relation to some of the recent topics and post being made on the fora, when it really is about eggshells! Grin

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

All you need to know about Eggs Smiley https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b09yj7dx/natural-world-20182019-1-attenboroughs-wonder-of-eggs

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

@AlaricAdair

When we kept chicks we'd feed 'em crushed oyster shells as well and never a problem with thin shells. Lots of folks selling fresh eggs around here usually at around a £1 for half dozen. Literally years since we've bought supermarket 'farm' eggs.

Our first ever baby chicks turned out to be cockerels -- all six of ' em!

I know where I am, I've been lost here before.
RobPN
Seasoned Pro

@Mook wrote:

When I first saw the title of this post I thought it was in relation to some of the recent topics and post being made on the fora, when it really is about eggshells! Grin

@Mook 

That was my first thought too, treading on!  Wink

RobPN
Seasoned Pro

@AlaricAdair wrote:

There's several reasons why hens eggs may be weak. ....

This never seems to be a problem with cockerels.

Yes, much stronger shells.  Grin

@Minivanman wrote:

... Lots of folks selling fresh eggs around here usually at around a £1 for half dozen. ...

Our first ever baby chicks turned out to be cockerels -- all six of ' em!

So how much do six cockerels eggs fetch?  Grin

Don't tell me they're priceless!

St3
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

Im no EGGpert .... Wink but the farm where i get my eggs from sometimes give me free soft eggs as they say its against the law for them to sell soft shell eggs.