cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Egg customers - watch out for this phishing email

minkey
Grafter

Egg customers - watch out for this phishing email

I got this quite (but not quite enough  Wink ) convincing email supposedly from Egg. It's a phising email and would urge anyone not to click on any of the links contained and delete immediately.  Angry It was also missed by PN's spam checker so a lot of people may think it to be real.
Jeff
8 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Egg customers - watch out for this phishing email

I get a lot of those, - from banks I have never used, AVG notes them and so does Thunderbird, no bank will ever ask you to confirm your details like that.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Yes, Not a bad effort..... just the slight error in the way the sentences are put together. However, without your warning, it could easily be taken for a genuine email.  Have you informed Egg?
minkey
Grafter

I forwarded it to banksafeonline, but I haven't contacted egg, it looks like I need to phone them.
Community Veteran

I don't know if other banks do this, but mine (Smile) will always include my surname and half of my postcode in any e-mail they send me - a quick and simple method of verification.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I've had this happen with a supposed and, very good copy of Barclays type face's and logo's, phishing for account details. At Barclays request, I forwarded the email to their security department for analysis, At the time they were very interested indeed. As it happens I no longer have any accounts with Barclays following a different dispute (my choice, not theirs)
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Quote from: minkey
Angry It was also missed by PN's spam checker so a lot of people may think it to be real.
Jeff

The clue is "PN's spam checker" this is a phishing e-mail, spam checkers are not looking for phishing e-mails, they only get picked up by spam checkers if they are sent in large volumes.
As pierre says Thunderbird is more likely to pick these up. And security suites such as AVG if that have anti Phishing.
But the best clue is that normally come from a bank that you don't have an account with.  Wink
N/A

I use Egg. Whilst this email wouldn't have fooled me I suspect a few will have been caught out.
When you visit the Egg site and click 'your accounts' it takes you to the login page.
To the right of the login box is a phishing email warning message (been there for ages so perhaps thats why you don't recall it - familiarity etc)
Anyway, it requests that details of the email are sent to spoof@egg.com
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I must admit, that is a fairly good attempt. I guess we can only expect them to get better and better in the future. They must have hired someone with reasonably good skills in Photoshop Roll eyes
Has anyone else had the Egg bot ring you up to confirm a transaction on your account? I have and mistook it for a iffy call the first time, so I hung up. Eventually they kept calling and I realised it was probably genuine. I sent a secure message to Egg explaining how silly it was for a bot to ring out of the blue asking for personal information, and confirmed the transactions were ones I had made.
While I am quite happy for these card companies to have these anti-fraud systems in place and of course I would rather be protected, the Egg one is not that smart. It keeps ringing me every time I buy my monthly travelcard of £159. You'd think that once I confirm it the first time it would figure out that is a legit transaction I make every month. But no, it keeps ringing me.
It's not through choice though Smiley