Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Egg & Soldiers

Infinity
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Egg & Soldiers

@198kHz wrote:

Basher here too - after ten seconds under the cold tap. Makes it easier to remove shell.

This works a treat, thanks for the suggestion.

There also seems to be less leakage of the yolk, probably because able to hold the egg tightly

I also worked out, after removing the bits of eggshell from the egg, move them away from the egg cup, then any leakage can be dunked without getting bits of eggshell on your Soldier.

And I still prefer to dunk my soldiers in salt/pepper combination on the plate, not shaken over egg (or pinched)

I used free range eggs, and the yolks are larger, and appear to be tastier, more trials are needed !!

198kHz
Champion
Fixes: 14

Oh yes, salt on the plate here too for boiled eggs, but salt and pepper on scrambled.

We always have free range on moral grounds, and of course they do taste better. A shame we can't keep hens like we did at our previous place. The eggs were superb, and chickens are such friendly - sometimes quirky - characterful creatures.

Remember you are unique - just like everyone else
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Here's one official looking linky:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/apha-warns-not-to-feed-kitchen-scraps-to-farm-animals-because-of-...

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I'll take that as applying to "farmers and smallholders" as it says.

Pity they couldn't just crack down on the problem of "bush meat" entering the country.

Infinity
Seasoned Pro

@198kHz wrote:

Oh yes, salt on the plate here too for boiled eggs, but salt and pepper on scrambled.

We always have free range on moral grounds, and of course they do taste better. 

Modifying the technique, I found that only slightly dunking the soldiers in the yolk, you still get the taste, and the yolk lasts longer...............

And as a special treat, saving one soldier until the end, dipping that in the salt/pepper/yolk mix on the side of the plate.

I also found that  if put each used egg cup into a mug, and fill with cold water, any egg just slides off the cup, so much easier to clean after a short soak.

198kHz
Champion
Fixes: 14

@Infinity   Your diligent research is appreciated.  Smiley

Remember you are unique - just like everyone else
Infinity
Seasoned Pro

While Cooks away................

St3
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

Have any of you ever had eggy bread ? its alittle sloppy but very filling and tasty Wink

Fixes: 255

My wife does something called French toast which seems like eggy bread but toastedCheesy

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Shep41
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Mmm eggy bread with brown sauce.
Off to the kitchen now 😁
Pete11
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

I enjoy eggy bread too but in a slightly different way, cooked the same but with a little grated cheese (Red Leicester) on top, just enough so the heat melts it and as mentioned...a squirt of brown sauce...yummy.  Thumbs Up

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
Infinity
Seasoned Pro

@Infinity wrote:

@198kHz wrote:

We always have free range on moral grounds, and of course they do taste better. 

Modifying the technique, I found that only slightly dunking the soldiers in the yolk, you still get the taste, and the yolk lasts longer...............

And as a special treat, saving one soldier until the end, dipping that in the salt/pepper/yolk mix on the side of the plate.

I also found that  if put each used egg cup into a mug, and fill with cold water, any egg just slides off the cup, so much easier to clean after a short soak.

After consulting with older members of my eggstended family, they came up with these eggstra suggestions.

Low simmer the eggs for fours and a half minutes..... whites more solid, yolk still plenty & runny

Again cold water for a few seconds in pan.

Allow the toast for soldiers to cool down for a couple of minutes before cutting into Soldiers, they are then firmer,  and can be cut thinner..... this allows more dunking as each soldier picks up less yolk, but still as tasty.

These all worked for me.

Fixes: 255

@Infinity

Thank you for eggsplaining that. Time to shell out for some more eggsCheesy

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Pete11
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Well, that takes care of the boiling...now...let's see about grilling 'em.  Wink

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
Jonpe
Champion
Fixes: 8

I can't believe that I've read all 29 posts in this thread, and I hardly ever eat eggs.  I really ought to get a hobby. Crazy3