Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Egg & Soldiers

198kHz
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 13

Re: Egg & Soldiers

SWMBO says they're great for sponge cakes.

Remember you are unique - just like everyone else
harrym1byt
Rising Star

harrym1byt wrote:

Mustrum wrote:

I too recently rediscovered boiled eggs, after I found one these in pan timers - available in various places, and they allow you to work out how hard/soft to boil them. As for the eggs, alas I don't have a local farm available and have to rely on the supermarket, I find it worth paying a little more, and my favourites are Burford Browns, they have lovely deep yellow yolks.

Can I just say thanks for the link to the timer, I ordered one over last weekend and it turned up and was tested this morning. I have never been able to work out how to time them, in any reliable way, so have never managed one the way I like them. This worked perfectly and at the very first attempt.

..and many boiled eggs later, I cannot fault this gadgets accuracy. The only problem, was seeing its scale when the water was boiling and bubbling furiously - dropping the heat to a gentle simmer fixed that, without affecting the accuracy of the result.

I have had a few health issues diagnosed recently, amongst them the early stages of diabetes. I explained I am not a big eater, usually waiting until dinner before having a meal. It was suggested that I ought to eat more frequently, so a boiled egg and toast in the morning or for supper fills a gap.

Infinity
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

harrym1byt wrote:

I have had a few health issues diagnosed recently, amongst them the early stages of diabetes. I explained I am not a big eater, usually waiting until dinner before having a meal. It was suggested that I ought to eat more frequently, so a boiled egg and toast in the morning or for supper fills a gap.

I use a digital timer, from HK, set to 4.5 minutes, and only used for egg timings.

I don't have to stand watching the eggs, as the timer can be heard in the next room.

2:30pm is when I have my Eggs & Soldiers everyday, just fills that gap between Lunch & Dinner, a light snack.

Though I have been known to eat them at other times !

You really do need to eat "little & often" as a diabetic, starving between meals, or waiting 'til the evening meal is a recipe for a hypo.

And always carry sugar in some form, either as a Glucose tablet, or a cereal bar.

Glucose tablets available cheaply from your local Chemist, I have a Police Officer friend who uses them as a pick-me-up during a long shift outside.

harrym1byt
Rising Star

Infinity wrote:

I use a digital timer, from HK, set to 4.5 minutes, and only used for egg timings.

I don't have to stand watching the eggs, as the timer can be heard in the next room.

2:30pm is when I have my Eggs & Soldiers everyday, just fills that gap between Lunch & Dinner, a light snack.

Though I have been known to eat them at other times !

You really do need to eat "little & often" as a diabetic, starving between meals, or waiting 'til the evening meal is a recipe for a hypo.

And always carry sugar in some form, either as a Glucose tablet, or a cereal bar.

Glucose tablets available cheaply from your local Chemist, I have a Police Officer friend who uses them as a pick-me-up during a long shift outside.

I like the fact that it seems to be impervious to variations in how fast the water is brought up to temperature, just chuck it in the pan with the egg(s) and keep an eye on the progress with the colour change.

The diabetic aspect is very new to me, as is any ill health, so I am still struggling to get my head around it. I have suffered for years with an occasional/rare feeling of limpness, which I always put down to low sugar and resolved with a cuppa, a biscuit and a rest for five minutes. I have not suffered any of that since I retired, I'm maybe not expending energy quick so quickly. 

Infinity
Seasoned Pro

If Prince Harrys' Fiancée attended the Changing of the Guard, would it be Meg and Soldiers ?Huh

Jonpe
Champion
Fixes: 7

I think you mean fiancée, or did I miss the news about the operation?

Pete11
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Well one thing's for sure, she won't be the Duchess of Yolk.  Roll eyes But it might bring her out of her shell.

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
JayG
Pro

So, 52 posts and counting, and unless I've missed it no-one has mentioned Marmite soldiers. Huh

I know that Marmite is a love it or hate it product, but for me although boiled eggs with just plain buttered toast soldiers are still very nice, it's just kind of missing something...

Also wondering whether you are all on a diet - one boiled egg is not enough for me, and if you have two I find the second one needs to come out 30 seconds before the other, because it will continue to cook in its own heat.

Finally, I give the egg a whack with a table knife to remove the top - sometimes I have to pick out the odd bit of shell but not very often. (Peeling soft boiled eggs - you can not be serious?! Crazy3)

Fixes: 158

JayG wrote:

...Marmite soldiers.

Yummy Cool

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 63.0 (64-bit)

Infinity
Seasoned Pro

Jonpe wrote:

I think you mean fiancée, or did I miss the news about the operation?

Quite right, spel chek !!

Korectid...

Infinity
Seasoned Pro

@Infinity wrote:

I've just recently recently rediscovered the delights of Egg & Soldiers !

Soldiers, I use a Kitchen Cleaver to cut slices of toast into "soldiers", on a chopping board, does a really great job.

Eggs, 4 minutes on a low simmer is just right for my tastes. Runny yolks, firm whites.

And I dip the soldiers into a Salt & Pepper mix on the plate, preferred to pinch or shaking over eggs.

A lovely mid afternoon snack.

I have come up with some enhancements to the whole process....

After boiling the eggs for 4 minutes, I fill the pan with cold water, this enables one to remove the eggs by hand, before they warm up.

After placing in egg cups, I bash the top half of the eggs with a heavy teaspoon, and peel back the shell.

I then make a small cut in the egg white, with a sharp knife, this makes it much better to insert a spoon to remove the top, without the top becoming distorted, and squidgy runny...

Still putting the pepper, salt, coarse pepper onto the plate, but now I put a piece of kitchen foil on the plate first, stops the eggy pepper mix sticking to the plate.

And finally, after partaking of the heavenly feast, I put the two egg cups sideways into a mug, and fill with water, so much easier to clean the egg cups after a little soak.

It's great to be back in the UK, with proper certified British eggs  !!!

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

How do you cook yours?

We first boil the water, remove from heat, pop the egg(s) in, cover, and leave for eight minutes during toasty making time.

Perfect soft boiled eggs hot and ready to make those toasted soldiers happy. Wink

When our kids were small we'd draw faces on their boiled eggs and when finished eating, turn the shells up the other way and 'bash their heads in!'

I know where I am, I've been lost here before.
Community Veteran

@Minivanman wrote:
we'd draw faces on their boiled eggs and when finished eating, turn the shells up the other way and 'bash their heads in!'

That's exactly what we used to do as kids. I bet it's not a pc thing to do today.

Luzern
All Star

Except disguised in cakes etc, since childhood I dislike even the smell of eggs, though I have made the rare attempt to partake.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran

I've always found that boiled eggs have a much nicer smell than fried.