cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Efficiency?

pin2011
Grafter

Efficiency?

The demand for this years poll tax claims to have made 'efficiency savings'. My question to the councils is: where is my refund for
the so called efficiency savings? I didn't see any reduction in the demand for money, it is the same as last year plus 3% for the fire
engine boys.
I was mailed this gem yesterday
The rating agency Fitch has warned that Britain might lose it's AAA rating.
But not to worry.
It just means less money for the Aristocrats, Academics and complete wasters that run everything
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: Efficiency?

Substitute the word efficiency for reduction in essential services.
As for a reduction in your council tax, no chance, the money will be frittered away on some non essential item.
It's more likely that in the next few years they will tell you how lucky you have been that they have managed to keep the Council tax so low but this year we have no option but to increase it (well above inflation).............  well you know the rest.
NB: If you look at the amount councils pay out in pensions and consider the amount that increases each year we could reach a point where all the tax is used to pay pensions.
NBB: Personally I do not think that any person employed in the Public Service should get a Pension which exceeds £52,000 per annum
Community Veteran

In some ways the Iceland bank collapse was a good thing as it highlighted that many councils, mine included, had an enormous excess in money sloshing around. More than enough to fill up sizeable overseas banks accounts.
This was an eye opener for many people as it begged the question of why did so many of these councils always insist on the need to increase the rate when they clearly didn't need the money.
If councils taxes were properly regulated they shouldn't have even a penny excess lying around.
itsme
Grafter

Is it not a legal requirement for councils to have contingency funds?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Yes it is apparently but even so it's wrong. They should be using that money where it's needed instead of saving it all up and then saying we must be skint to ensure they're not.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
itsme
Grafter

I prefer a council to have contingency funds earning interest then borrow the money when an unexpected event happen. But I may be bias as that how run my finances. 
Community Veteran

I suppose the question in that case becomes how much is needed for a contingency fund? There has to be a set limit or there should be.
As for excess money earning interest, again there should be regulations that the money is invested in this country in a safe place. Not gambled away by some council employed Nick Leeson wannabe.
I would still much prefer that any great excess should remain in my bank earning me interest.