cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Effects of Gaming on the Young

Fixes: 47

Effects of Gaming on the Young

Video games have a PEGI rating which is designed to offer guidance to children and parents on the suitability of a particular product.
As has been said many times it does not prevent under 18s from playing a PEGI 18 game.
What I ponder is this. Does, for example a 6 year old playing Modern Warfare 3 grow into a psychotic adult.
Many years ago I played war games with sticks as guns and lumps of earth as grenades and I don't consider myself an unstable character.
Aren't video games a modern equivalent.
I play multiplayer MW3 and hear lots of very young voices from my opponents and wonder what they will turn out like in later years.
I have posted this in Chit Chat as I'm interested in a wider viewpoint.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
7 REPLIES
Fixes: 104

Re: Effects of Gaming on the Young

Black ops and MW2 had BBFC rating of 18, these are different to PEGI and should not be sold to under 18's thus they are getting the games from their parents.
I don't let my 6 year old play games (or watch films) with a BBFC older than they are as I don't think these certificates are handed out lightly. However PEGI rated games I will play them first before deciding to whether or not to allow them.
What makes me worry when playing multiplayer is the language and the abuse these younger sounding ones dish out. I don't think the game will turn them into psychotic adults but I think parents should show some restraint when buying age certified games.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Many years ago I played war games with sticks as guns and lumps of earth as grenades and I don't consider myself an unstable character.

PC/console games just make it easier, give a kid a safe area and some time and they will always end up playing War.  We did it and they will do it, so will future generations.
Personally think the "psychotic adult" is built in to our nature, some will but most won't
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
randpwar
Grafter

Interesting subject strat.
It must be as part of a balanced ‘diet’ of interests so I think it’s very difficult to generalise as, of course, each child’s ‘intake’ of these violent games differs. My son is 12 and plays Modern Warfare 3 (MW3, if I understand the parlance of you youngsters strat  Wink) along with other bits of ‘mindless violence (as I call them to him) on his x-box and talks to his mates over x-box live. I have to say that if this was his main avenue of entertainment then I would be worried. But it isn’t, almost every weekend and occasionally during the week will see him kayaking, sailing, camping or trekking with his Sea Scouts and even goes in on cubs night to help out, he has a wide circle of mates that he visits or has around (without x-boxing), does his home-work on time and even walks the dog occasionally when asked. From everything about him he clearly has it very firmly fixed in his mind that these things are not real…….but I do wonder about kids that spend most of their free time playing these games. We don’t have to limit my son’s gaming as he does this himself naturally with all his other interests but surely parental control is the answer for those that over indulge     
Fixes: 47

Thanks for that post randpwar, very interesting Smiley
During my grandson's visits he will play a little MW3 but gets bored with it quickly and moves on to toy cars on his own or board games and cards with me.
I have one game that I won't let him play, Dead Space but most of the others he has had a go at like Red Dead Redemption, Gran Tourismo and Little Big Planet (he's not keen on BF3).
As a diversion he has his swimming lessons and his Karate classes....he will be 6 in March.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Steve
Pro

Interesting, My girlfriends son (10 YRS ) plays quite a few adult games but I will  decide what ones he can and cannot play, Horror he does not like anyway and some games have more swearing than violence which again he does not like, I steer him away from games that could distress him.
Mostly the fella plays shooting games and he Is better than me at them, I hardly play them now, Grew out of It or just fed up with all the war games out there. He does also play the Wii though, In fact we all sat down last weekend and chilled out playing Super Mario Galaxy which we ALL thoroughly enjoyed.
Pressure to play some of these games comes from his mates as some of them play games that they are not meant to ( courtesy of their parents ).
He Is a boy and speaking as a man who once was a boy It never done me any harm. I worry sometimes as mostly shooting games Is all he plays but he has a good head on his shoulders and realises these are just games. And I always find him some games that don't Include shooting and he thoroughly enjoys them whether It be on the Wii or a board game, Aslong as he has someone to play with he will play anything so I put It down to the fact that as most of his buddies have shooters he just wants to be Involved and there Is no harm In that.
Fixes: 123

Quote from: dvorak
I don't let my 6 year old play games (or watch films) with a BBFC older than they are as I don't think these certificates are handed out lightly.

I use the BBFC certificates a a guidline always preferring to make my own mind as to the content. When my daughter was younger I would let her watch some 12/15 rating films with me at home if I felt the content was suitable having viewed the film myself first.
As she got older she got more interested in vampires and the like which is a genre I've not particularly liked.
She now plays games and it's an area I have no interest in but we talk about it and I feel satisfied that I have taught her the difference between right and wrong and reality and fiction.
Like the OP I used to play war games in the playground and near home as well as 'cowboys and indians'. We could be quite imaginitive with the objects we used for guns, etc. None of my friends (including myself) seemed to have turned into psychopathic maniacs or gun-toting terrorists.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Fixes: 104

In saying that, I have let them watch Lord of the Rings and I think return of the king is a 12. I also think that the goalposts have mode slightly and things that perhaps would have been a 15 / 18 around 20 years ago are no 12 / 15. As an example transformers is a 12, but with the language and (pointless) sexual nature of a what should be a kids film I won't let him watch it. He's quite happy watching the transformers cartoons anyway.
Quite happy for him to play war games and battle which he does with his friends and action figures and lego, but again the language and some of the cut scene content aren't what I want him to playing. As he gets older I'm sure my view will change Smiley
Will Moderate For Thanks