cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Effect on Primary Schools of pupils with non English first language

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Effect on Primary Schools of pupils with non English first language

I just read this report http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/7372853.stm and, assuming that the proportion quoted is an average over the whole of England, the proportion in certain areas must be significantly higher.
My first thought is how do the teachers cope and secondly what is the effect on the development of the native English speakers in the class who must receive proportionately less attention.
Is there a case for introducing extra specially trained teachers/assistants in such schools.
6 REPLIES
dgdclynx
Grafter

Re: Effect on Primary Schools of pupils with non English first language

Chatting with my taxi driver in Bath a couple of weeks ago he said that the problem he was having with his children in both a Bath Primary and Secondary School was the influx of Polish children into their classes who spoke no English and were taking up a disproprtionate amount of the teachers time. Obviously the schools wouldnt have the finance to organise remedial classes and the ordinary teachers couldnt be expected to speak Polish.
We need the Polish bus drivers in Bath because without them there would be no bus service. Having no car I rely on a very good bus service.
Fixes: 47

A difficult situation in a multicultural country such as this.
The children probably won't reach their potential.
The teachers' morale will be affected as targets are not achieved.
The parents will be blaming the education system.
Budgets will be stretched to breaking point.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
geewizz
Grafter

I like the broader variety of graffiti messages daubed on primary school walls in these areas.
Superuser
Superuser

Quote from: Oldjim
I just read this report http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/7372853.stm and, assuming that the proportion quoted is an average over the whole of England, the proportion in certain areas must be significantly higher.

Thanks for flagging this up, Jim Smiley  Just went and posted a response at the BBC site that I hope might reach the outputs.
On the site here we have a block resource of French-English worksheets - http://www.happychild.org.uk/freeway/french/index.htm - which is now being replicated for other languages (so kids can look at the same *English* content on the left but have their native language on the right).
So far we've added Polish and Russian vocab, with the vocabulary pages for several other languages under construction including German, Spanish, Romanian, Italian, Arabic and Chinese (see http://www.happychild.org.uk/freeway/xxxxlanguage/translators01.htm ).
We could do with a much wider range of volunteers!  literally all that's needed, for each new language set, is for one language professional to translate a provided database and another to check the output for accuracy and suitability for children.  All the set-ups are in place to output a complete new set of dual-language worksheets literally within *days* of receiving the checked database.
Could do with some help in spreading the word Smiley  because once all the main language sets are available it will make it possible for kids to be block-taught English no matter *what* their native language might be.
So if anyone knows anyone who might be able to help with the translation (volunteer basis only), any further help would be much appreciated Smiley
Regards,
Penny.
Penny Rollo * Force 9 from 17/02/98 * PlusNet from 2000 onwards
Project HappyChild - free maths worksheets, free French-English
worksheets and 12 other languages
personal site www.pennymidasrollo.plus.com
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@Strat
I think you need to do a bit of editing on the word beginning with  m

The teachers' moral will be affected