Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Education _ what did you learn !

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

Education _ what did you learn !

Plenty of talk about the kids going back to skool on Monday !... so how about an edookation thred ?

In other words.....  Did learning that Henry the eighth had eight wives,  or learning logarithms and algebra, have any significant effect on your "life after skool"? 

was your future career formulated because you knew those salient facts,   or do you think that the time could have been spent more profitably, learning a craft or a skill that would give you a better chance of employment ? 

Yeah we did woodwork, and metal work, but they only gave a basic element which would suffice most for their future DIY efforts of putting up a shelf or making a poker for the central heating boiler.. !

26 REPLIES 26
Mook
Champion
Fixes: 2

Re: Education _ what did you learn !

For me the best thing I ever did at school was to learn to read. Imagine how empty your life would be if you couldn't read.

As for my career now, well that's all down to my Grand Mother who bought me my first computer a ZX81 from which I developed the passion I have for the subject now.

jab1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 73

In my case, I agree with @Mook - although I could read before I went to school, the 'learning' of reading was only instilled in me there.

As to what I learned there, outside of that, I don't think it has ever been used in life as a distinct activity, but there are a lot of things you take for granted. I used to hate maths, but when I started work, the 'mental arithmetic' made it much easier to do the many calculations I had to - no calculators/computers at that time, and I had to 'rediscover' logarithms for a little while.

John
RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 5

@shutter wrote:

... Did learning that Henry the eighth had eight wives, 

I wasn't any good at remembering history stuff, but I don't think any of the schools I went to mentioned that @shutter   Funny

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wives_of_Henry_VIII

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I learnt to read at school and my spelling was nearly perfect (not so now lol) but i never really learnt much else - including writing. My parent kept keeping me off school for weeks at a time and i'd fall behind massively - then get dropped back in at the deep end and expect to not only float but win the swimming race. Obviously it doesn't work like that as a kid - you're young and don't have the skills to learn without help.

i was removed from secondary due to bullying so that was that there too. Not a single GCSE although i did later gain a GNVQ and a NVQ2. Not that either are much use..

I learnt a few bits at college but still nothing significant - i tried but it wasn't to be with my parent still throwing health wobblies. As soon as i was out of college and at work all of that mysteriously changed.

If i'm blatantly honest, I learnt most of my english grammer skills from MS Word 97's spelling and grammer checker tool. My spelling wasn't really a problem but my grammer certainly made improvements.

The stupid thing is i did go to a good primary school.led by a headmaster that was recognised by royalty for his work. It was the best school the town had and yet my start was repeatedly made difficult. Oddly i was never in trouble with him - in fact i got on well with him and he would frequently wait for me by the main entrance to make sure i got in to school safely - i suspect in reality when i look back he realised i had a hard home life and was worried about me. A lot of the other pupils from the school went on to very good jobs.

On the subject of woodwork, i remember my primary having a woodwork class in the mid 80s at the older end of the school. By the time i was old enough to be at that end of the school (early 90s) the woodworking class had gone and been turned into a normal classroom. It was a shame really - all kids enjoy practical stuff like that and it helps them to remain interested at school.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Strat
Fixes: 505

In the 5th year at senior school we were streamed with one group taking GCE exams and the other group taking RSA exams.

I took RSA exams.
Me and one other boy were excluded from revision lessons for Technical Drawing as 'no hope of passing'.

I sat the Technical Drawing exam and passed comfortably.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 88.0.1 (64-bit)

Mook
Champion

@RobPN You must have been better at remembering than you thought, given that you knew Henry the VIII didn't have 8 wives. 

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

I suppose school allows pupils to sample a variety of subjects before choosing which ones to take GCSEs and A-levels in.  Kids will have all kinds of ideas about what they want to become: pop star, dancer, astronaut, vet etc.  What should be compulsory for all children before they choose their GCSE subjects is proper aptitude testing and career guidance.

It may seem that much of what we learnt at school was of no use but because we've all been through much the same curriculum we've been provided with knowledge of our cultural heritage (of which our education also forms part) linking us closer to our fellow Brits than to someone from another country.  If someone is planning to marry for the third time and you comment, "Are you trying to outdo Henry VIII?" they'll know what you mean without further explanation.  We can similarly expect someone to know that London is in the south-east of England, and that Scotland is the northern part of Great Britain, although a Big Brother contestant thought East Anglia was abroad!  Other knowledge gained from our education system is shared with other Europeans and some with most of humanity.  If you compare someone to Hitler, there can be few adults in the world who won't know that you are referring to one of the most evil human beings who ever existed.

And just think of the prizes you can win on quiz shows by remembering obscure facts learnt in the classroom.

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

Never that keen on school although a few subjects interested me such as metalwork and technical drawing, it was assumed most school kids in this area would go on to do a apprenticeship for one of the major employers in this area such as Leyland motors or BAE. Girls had typing lessons so we’re expected to go into secretarial work or nursing.

Either you are interested in things or you are not, perhaps I was just lazy at school but have been caught out a few times in conversations where it was clear I did not know something most would be expected to know, so IF I had made the effort I could have got a lot more out of school than I did, of course I was fortunate being one of those lucky people who could fall into a muck cart and come out smelling of roses as I did fairly well in life.

So much of what I learnt in school was pointless but had I made the effort some of it would have proved to be useful in later life.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
RobPN
Hero

@Mook wrote:

@RobPN You must have been better at remembering than you thought, given that you knew Henry the VIII didn't have 8 wives. 

Possibly not remembered from school @Mook , likely because of more recent mentions of it such as TV series etc., although some things such as certain dates do stick, e.g. 1066 and 1666 but they're few and far between (excuse pun).  Smiley6600

PowerLee
Pro

I remember using Pythagoras theorem once since leaving school - to see if a reach truck would fit under a low doorway for removal from the building with the mast tilted back.
RobPN
Hero

@PowerLee wrote:
I remember using Pythagoras theorem once since leaving school ...

I remember that one;  The Squaw On The Hippopotamus Is Equal To The Sum Of The Squaws On The Other Two Hides.

Cheesy

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

I learned that I utterly detested school, regarded it as a prison sentence, and one with only so many years to go until I reached the age of fifteen.

Science went right over my head, maths was totally beyond me (the teacher would try to pick me up by my ears), history jumped from sabre tooth tigers to occupation by the Romans, and the peak of my endeavors at woodwork reached to the dizzy height of a bit of sandpaper on wood for sharpening pencils. Reading and writing were my only saving grace.

But there you go, the quality of post war teaching in school for the majority was pretty low the only requirement being a teaching certificate and the absolute right to batter kids under your command.

Left with low expectations but high hopes realized - but not until many years later as a mature and much wiser student.

Oh yes and metal work. Dad got yet another fishing rod rest for his birthday, fathers day and Christmas.

"Thanks son, it's just what I wanted".  🤔

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

@RobPN 

Well according to Joe Brown and his bruvvers he did. 😎

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

@Minivanman 

Sounds like you went to a similar school to me and had the same attitude to it.

Convinced some teachers got a buzz out of using a cane which got used for the most minor infringement.

I suspect some of these teachers had been in the army during the war so were subject to discipline themselves.

One thing I did learn at school behind the bike sheds was that I did not like cigarettes, that alone has saved me a fortune over the years and kept me healthy.

We are born into history and history is born into us.