Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Educated Police

TTman
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 1

Educated Police

I have read a story that all new recruits to the police force will now have to have a university degree. Will this improve the force and will they be able to solve more crime? :huh::undecided:

55 REPLIES 55
jab1
Hero
Fixes: 19

Re: Educated Police

A degree in what though - flower arranging?:wink:

And without being horrible, some university students these days are thick.

John
Baldrick1
Hero
Fixes: 94

@jab1 wrote:

More likely to be risk assessments or political correctness. 

jab1
Hero

@Baldrick1 I agree - but both are about as useful as flower arranging.:smiley:

John
wotsup
Champion

Just like having to have a degree to be a nurse meant a lot of the most caring people no longer became nurses I  guess this will mean some of the best potential police will not make it.  A lot of the most naturally gifted people may not be academically minded and the people who get the jobs with a degree in whatever may not have the natural skills.  The 'fast tracking' of graduates has long been a point of conflict in many professions - they need to do an 'apprenticeship' of sorts at the dirty and dangerous end of the job before being put in charge of telling police what to do and how to behave.  On the other hand the government need to find something for unemployed ( or unemployable ? ) graduates to do - after all it was their policy to have 50% of people passing through the education system going to university.  My brother has two daughters - one left school and did college and was working by age 18 and now 28 with own house,  the other one did a degree and got a first class ,  she was unemployed for years, now she works for a local cash and carry company designing their flyer leaflets and still living at home --- Truth is most degrees are wasted and not many jobs require a degree,  but the longer people spend in the education system they seem to think the world owes them a living.

Community Veteran

I preferred the much simpler beat police qualifications of being six foot tall and built like a brick..................................

Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

On the plus side there will be no shortage of Chiefs but there might be a shortage of indians.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 28

@TTman wrote:

I have read a story that all new recruits to the police force will now have to have a university degree. Will this improve the force and will they be able to solve more crime? :huh::undecided:

here`s some recruits

three degrees.jpg

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

We have three soon to be four members of our extended family in the police force, all with degrees. Two sergeants, one constable, and one without a clue. No fast tracking, just a shrug of the shoulders and a degree so what.

I do seem to recall that back in the early 60s a police applicant was expected to have "an above average level of intelligence" with the suggestion if that was so, why would they want to join in the first place - but then the other big news was that a police constable could 'now expect' to be paid £1000 a year after training!

The London Metropolitan police c1970. England's finest. :rolleyes:

TTman
Seasoned Pro

@shutter Only 19997 for boris to find then!:rolleyes::laugh:

Baldrick1
Hero
Fixes: 94

Perhaps if Universities started offering degrees in common sense it would help? 

Community Veteran

Would they teach - if you don't get promoted to chief overnight it has nothing to do with being male/female/gay/straight/black/white, it's probably because you're grossly ineffectual as a police officer with ridiculous expectations..

Jonpe
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 9

@wotsup I know what you mean about nurses.  I know a couple of (traditionally trained) nurses, and when those with nursing degrees started coming through, they seemed to have no common sense.  One was asked to make a cup of tea for a patient, and asked where on the care plan did it specify that the patient should have a cup of tea at that time.  In the absence of a care plan entry she demanded to know what the clinical indications were for providing the patient with a cup of tea.  Being thirsty or simply fancying one was not considered a good enough reason.  The final straw was when the graduate asked what the procedure was for administering a cup of tea, at which point my friend went and made the tea herself.

Another story I heard from a mental health unit was that one of the nursing graduates thought detaining a patient under the mental health act was punishment for trying to commit suicide.  After three years of academic study I would expect someone to know that attempting suicide hasn't been illegal for quite a few decades, and even when it was, I don't think hospitals were charged with handing out suitable punishment.

jab1
Hero

@Baldrick1 wrote:

@jab1 wrote:

More likely to be risk assessments or political correctness. 

Quite probably @Baldrick1 but neither of those subjects have any real-world value -IMHO. I spent 30 years in the steel industry, working mostly in the 'hot-working' area - melting/forging/heat treatment - and I promise you I was constantly 'risk assessing' every time I went on the shop floor. However, this was done in real-time, no chance of sitting in a classroom before each visit.  You knew there was hot (very hot) metal around, and you made allowances, but still had to visit these areas to do your job.

I was 'staff', but because of my role, I probably spent a good 30-40% of my time out there, and from the age of 17 I was very aware - you just used common sense and didn't touch anything that  may have been hot, and didn't stand below cranes carrying up to 300 tons of metal - hot or cold.

As far as 'political correctness' goes, that again is common sense. You don't go around intentionally insulting people, but because the things that are 'incorrect' keep changing/growing I just tailor my language.

John
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Or as Alan Partridge said at that funeral - "... a rather well educated chap, had a BA in media studies from Loughborough University y'know. What a waste".