Fixes: 1

Re: Educated Police

@ffox 

Which bit?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

@Minivanman wrote:

Maybe in the pursuit of a fair and equal society provision has turned into demand... and a demand which can no longer be provided for.

Enter the private sector?

It's a Catch 22 situation if ever there was one. 

We have discussed this before on the forum but people should act in a responsible manner and not go to hospital or the gp with minor problems that they could deal with by using common sense, we see far too many of ' the worried well' these days and daft newspaper articles and other sources are partially to blame for that.

There is also the expectation that the NHS will deal with any problem we have and we need to limit what it should do or not do, not easy but essential imo.

As more people demand services the ones losing out are those who really need those services.

Having said that there would still be insufficient funds to cover all the advances taking place in medicine today.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Exactly, but it's not just the NHS.

As a society we provide across the board to a much greater extent that we ever did and like yourself @gleneagles we seem to have lived through the best of times. It's axiomatic that the more you provide, the more people will need.... and the more people need - well you get the drift.

The likes of Galbraith certainly did and produced a compact argument in his book The Good Society:The Human Agenda back in the mid 90s I think it was. Well worth a read, and a copy I lent out and never got back!  

ffox
Pro

@Minivanman 

It's OK, @gleneagles post explained the first paragraph. Smiley

A catch 22 situation has no possible solution, but you suggest the private sector.  Not logical, Captain.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@ffox 

Suggestion followed by a question mark, but point taken. Smiley

Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

And talking of catch 22 it's currently on Channel 4, Thursday, just about watchable.

One of the few books I gave up reading  long before half way despite it's popularity.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Just about watchable? It's brilliant.

As for the book same here, but at the age I was when I read it I did not understand satire.Roll eyes

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Back on the beat with this topic as they gear up to recruit more coppers, but will they reduce the entry requirements?

"New rules requiring candidates to have a degree or study for one on the job may restrict the number of potential applicants in some areas...."

I wonder if a degree in Fashion Design or the Liberal Arts will help them fight crime.

And a bigger problem.

"Modern police officers carry a lot of equipment and that all has to be stored somewhere overnight, as they travel to and from their home - so finding locker space is going to be the key."

"Going to be the key"? Grin

wotsup
Champion

Why does a beat or traffic cop need a degree, I can understand that to progress upwards they may need to get one to get to be a software cop investigating cyber crime etc. but to make it a minimum requirement is well overkill and will no doubt need reducing if Boris is to meet his target of extra 20,000 .... I think front line cops need to be more physical than back office nerds, and need to be a good shot or a cool head in a crisis rather than a graduate in media or history...

Highlighted
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Tattoos are now also de rigueur, but not if they are naughty or nasty. Police