Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Edinburgh Waverley station

TTman
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 1

Edinburgh Waverley station

On Sunday I took a Heritage Steam trip from Leeds to Edinburgh and spent a couple of hours in Edinburgh. On my return I  spent 45 minutes in Waverley station which has been newly refurbished! The diesel fumes in the station were really bad from the trains stationary at the platforms with the engines running( I have COPD which probaby didnt help) I could not see any extracter fans in the roof so not good in a newly refurbished station. I wonder what damage it is doing to the health of the people wrkin there, cant be good?

2 REPLIES 2
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Re: Edinburgh Waverley station

I can appreciate that, as I also suffer from COPD which is why when we retired it was to the countryside and not back to living near the likes of Port Talbot - in fact to anywhere that did not have heavy traffic or industry.

1950s London smog, I remember and suffered it not so well. 

PS. Would have loved to have experienced that train journey, it must have been amazing. Not on a steam train but I was having to wait around York station last year and that seemed to be clear of fumes.  

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
TTman
Seasoned Champion

Re: Edinburgh Waverley station

Hi Minivanman

Waverley has a new glass roof and is very enclosed, in a very narrow valley as well so no where for the fumes to go! As you say York is a lot better as t is open to the elements. The trip was a bit of a curates egg the outward trip was pulled by Tornado the new (relatively) steam train and was great. The return was pulled by a heritage deltic deisel which brokedown at Berwick and we had to complete the trip on a LNER eastcoast train! We arrived back in Leeds at 11:45 instaed of 08:45 so not great.I suppose that can be the downside of being pulled by heritage trains!