Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Economy7

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Economy7

Hey gang
I don't know about you lot but i've noticed some strange behaviour from our economy7 switch over just lately. Unlike a lot of folks who have their meter hidden away under the stairs or in the domination dungeon in the basement, ours is right behind the living room door so late at night i can hear it switching with its big heavy clunking sound.
Just lately, i've noticed it will switch multiple times in the hour. - sometimes just 2 or 3 others up to 6 times. Now these things are radio controlled and so something somewhere at central HQ is radio controlling our switch to keep switching and its costing us money - my PC has an 800W PSU which makes it an expensive rig to run and at night the cheap leccy is made the most of!
So.. has anyone else noticed this happening lately?
Who can we contact about it? - Presumably its all controlled by one company / dictatorship / government dept and not the separate electric companies with a vested interest in it not working properly?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Economy7

Could be wrong but I suspect the switching is done by your original regional electricity provider.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran

Depending on the hardware, the signal's either coming through the powerlines, or via BBC Radio 4 LW at 198kHz, or just a timer built into the meter, in any case, if your meter's gone nuts, call your supplier who'll get onto the grid operator to investigate, could be a faulty meter, could be someone trying to fiddle their own meter (E.G. transmitting the radio/powerline signal), or could be powerline networking, can't find out 'til you get the pros onto the job... Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Our economy 7 is on a  timer built into the meter, it stays on GMT (other thread) all year round, the morning switch is 7:10 GMT (goes with a clunk) the night-time switch is 10:52.
It did (once to my knowledge) a couple years ago clunk on and off during the day time, rang the leccy supplier, the guy came next day and swapped the meter.
suggest (as 2cv says) you could have a faulty meter
Community Veteran

So after a power cut, what happens to your meters timer then? - Does it move back / forth with the duration of the power cut or does it reset itself somehow?
Community Veteran

Quote from: 7up
So after a power cut, what happens to your meters timer then?

Dunno about you, but my timers (not for E7, don't have that) have battery backup... Grin
Community Veteran

Which would be well and good for most things.. but apart from solar powered calculators, backup batteries aren't suitable for long term devices like electricity meters which can go unserviced for decades at a time. That's why I was asking  Wink
Ours uses a RF signal - the device stating: Radio Teleswitch.