cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Economy...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Economy...

While driving around over the weekend (wasting some of our natural resources) with half an eye on the trip computer to see if I could maintain 50mpg at motorway speeds, I got to wondering; we fill and pay for fuel in our cars by the litre but, we still continue to work out and fret about our mileage economy in gallons. So I wondered, what do Europeans do...do they think in K's per litre, what do "they" consider good figures, are "they" as fixated with economy as we seem to be "over here"? My ex-pat son-law in New Zealand who has lived there for 20+ years, where they use litres and kilometres, does mental gymnastics to work out his figures in mpg, saying anything else is meaningless to him.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Economy...

Not sure about our continental cousins, but I have always worked it out as MPG....
and when buying a secondhand car, if the owner doesn`t know the MPG then I just walk away...
the stupid answer mostly given is..
"I put 25 quid in a week, and I still have some left over at the end of the week".... Undecided
So from that you can assume, he has a slow leak from a joint somewhere, and the car stays in the garage all week ! ! !  Cheesy Grin
pierre_pierre
Grafter

the metric equivalent is ar about face, its Litres/100Km
my little box is more economical on a long motorway trip at 70 fully laden than stoogeing around town empty
Fixes: 125

My Primera gives a graphic and digital display of mileage, mpg or, alternatively, you can set it to km and kpl.
It also gives average speed and a nice display that shows how economicaly you are driving in real time.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

pierre_pierre
Grafter

The SI(Metric) unit is the Litre per 100K unit see http://www.calculatenow.biz/conversions/consumption.php and has been since at least 1970
See below for conversions, K/l,  L/110k  MPG(US Gal) MPG(Imperial Gal)
Fixes: 125

TBH i have never used the L/100k setting as, like the posters above, it's meaningless to me.
I'm beginning to get a better grasp of judging distances in km but only because my wife is Eastern European and never new about miles/gallons. When SWMBO asks how far I have to do a quick calulation - not that difficult as the speedo gives both Smiley

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

pierre_pierre
Grafter

Well me being an old fogie  part of my job description was to measure fuel consumption, we used a pipette with bubbles and accurate marks between the bubbles, 50CC 100CC etc,  in the old days we drove at a constant speed and measured the time to use one of the large units of fuel, and from that as we were at a constant speed we could work out how far we had travelled on that amount of fuel,  when we got shipped out to Belgium for a long spell we used there fuel sets that had a solenoid switch over on a standard burette that measured the fuel used over a measured Kilometre, thus giving an instant Litre per 100 km, much easier to work out and that was in 1970
One of our problems at that time was all the different bosses, we were supposed to have gone metric in the 60's but one of our customers was Diesel Engineering who even up to 1990 were still working in Imperial units, and then there was also the Yanks with their odd Gallons.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

So I wondered, what do Europeans do...do they think in K's per litre, what do "they" consider good figures, are "they" as fixated with economy as we seem to be "over here"?

As pierre-pierre says its Litres/100Km. Last year I rented a VW Polo diesel whilst on holiday in Portugal. Its trip computer showed Ltr/100km and I tried comparing its consumption to that of my Audi A4 diesel back here ( averages 52 mpg ). The Polo gave between 4 and 5.5 L/100k depending on the type of journey.
I must admit I could never get my head around the conversion, but there again I was on holiday!!!