cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Economy Tea

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Economy Tea

Mrs Adair has recently changed the brand of tea she purchases in the weekly shop. Put politely one could say it saves money by requiring less milk in the cup.  Others might describe it as the urine of a small blood sucking insect.
Has anyone else noticed the supermarkets and other large food companies are protecting profits by introducing stealth cuts in the quality of tea bags/leaves.
Coffeephiles need not respond.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
9 REPLIES
nanotm
Pro

Re: Economy Tea

not just supermarkets, certain brands have changed their quality a lot as well, I found after buying and throwing out a lot of off tasting tea /coffee that it was a false economy to save money buy purchasing a cheaper option to my preferred brew making kit, I alos found that with most of the lower priced teabags that I could stomach drinking you needed to add 2 bags to a cup so it ends up costing the same if not slightly more, instead now I just prefer to shop around and get the pack that gives best value for money, one week it will be £7 for over a 1000 tea bags another it will be cheaper to get the boxes of 160, iirc the last time it was boxes of 240 that were cheapest (price per 100g) but a considerable margin /
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I don't buy store-brand stuff, that said, most of the time the only tea I really drink is Earl Grey, and even then, it's maybe a couple of times a month... Grin
But as with many things, like bags of crisps containing half what they used to, ccoa cola reducing their 2L bottles to 1.75L but charging the same price, to mars bars getting shorter every year, it's all about profit, the less they can expend making something and charge the same (or more) for the product, then they're quids in, while the shopper gets a reduced quality product at their expense...
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

No milk needed for Earl Grey - extra saving!

Community Veteran

I perform the ultimate sacrilege of putting milk in my Earl Grey (I like it that way!), so, no real saving for me... Grin
Community Veteran

Of course you do put the milk into the cup before the tea, i.e. the correct way.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

No, I let the tea brew first, THEN put the milk in, the proper way... Grin
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Quote from: AlaricAdair
Of course you do put the milk into the cup before the tea, i.e. the correct way.

Only if you use a teapot.  Grin

Community Veteran

I use a sportsdirect mug (they sent it with a pair of shoes I bought from Karrimore, which confused me, 'til I found they own the brand), teapots are wasteful... Grin
Community Veteran

I have to drink decaff tea and coffee. After lots of research (and drinking/throwing way) we found the best decaff tea to be Waitrose own 'everyday' tea. Lovely flavour and not woody at all. Smiley Smiley