cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Economically inactive? Not for long

Anonymous
Not applicable

Economically inactive? Not for long

All those who spend large chunks of their day on here had better watch out - Looks like your easy days on here are numbered. Priti Patel reckons you should all be retrained as fruit pickers, it seems. I guess that’ll be the ‘brexit dividend’.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/feb/19/immigration-firms-will-need-to-train-more-uk-workers...

145 REPLIES 145
RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 5

Re: Economically inactive? Not for long

I can't see anything wrong with making people who refuse to work having their benefits stopped, thereby 'encouraging' them to fend for themselves financially.  We've been too soft for too long, letting unskilled people refuse to take on so-called menial jobs which is basically all they're qualified for.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well said, @RobPN 

Given the frequent references to the Second World War and the blitz spirit of all pulling together, I imagine all those Brexit supporting workshy pensioners will be rushing off to the retraining centres as soon as they open. 

At least it’ll make a change for them from thinking up 27 different posts to put one here in a day.

Strat
Fixes: 505

@Anonymous wrote:

.....workshy pensioners....

I'm one of those but it took me 50 years in work to achieve the status Wink

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 88.0.1 (64-bit)

RobPN
Hero

@Anonymous 

Most, if not all, of those 'workshy pensioners' you refer to have done their stint and paid their dues, so it's unlikely they'll be doing as you would like to think they should.  But it's not unusual to see pensioners supplementing their income, or perhaps killing time working in places such as B&Q for example.

And if any of them want to post here?  So what.

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

@Anonymous wrote:

Well said, @RobPN 

Given the frequent references to the Second World War and the blitz spirit of all pulling together, I imagine all those Brexit supporting workshy pensioners will be rushing off to the retraining centres as soon as they open. 

At least it’ll make a change for them from thinking up 27 different posts to put one here in a day.

We have done our share.......what about you ?

We are born into history and history is born into us.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RobPN wrote:

@Anonymous 

And if any of them want to post here?  So what.

Yes indeed, @RobPN - I wasn’t for a minutes suggesting they shouldn’t continue posting here in their spare time if they so wish, simply suggesting that I’m sure they will want to do their best for post-Brexit Britain by making up for the shortfall in unskilled workers which there’s going to be with the government’s new immigrant policy. A price worth paying for taking back control of our borders, no?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@gleneagles wrote:

We have done our share.......what about you ?

That’s not very patriotic, @gleneagles 

I would have thought you’d want to do your bit to make up for the lack of unskilled labour once we’ve stopped those pesky foreigners getting in. 

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

@Anonymous wrote:

Well said, @RobPN 

How typical...... You have used a "link" to insult most of the forum members...  calling us "workshy pensioners"..

We ... retired... pensioners, have done our share of work, in our 50 or more years... and are legally entitled to our state pension.  and other pensions, with no qualification that we need to work to access the pension.

We are not going to be retrained as "fruit pickers"  ... nor are we "economically inactive"

Quoting from your link... which you used as to promote "FAKE NEWS"...

In a round of television and radio interviews, she said 8 million people between the ages of 16 and 64 were “economically inactive”

If you are going to post. GET YOUR FACTS in order before posting.

As regards to your reference on  WW2....

The people who fought, and those who supported them at home, in the mines, the factories etc. were fighting against German Domination of Europe, and eventually England (Great Britain) ( UK ) whatever you want to call "home".. They were fighting for OUR freedom  ( work shy pensioners, as you call us ) .. Which... incidentally, is now, also , YOUR FREEDOM. Why would anyone (like you) want to vote against freedom.... again...

We tried EU... we embraced EU.. but we decided on a referendum vote, and a political (government) vote that we wanted to leave... the result was that the "leave" vote was larger than the "remain" vote...  YOU LOST.. 

we won.. now let`s get on with it, TOGETHER..

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

They want to get all those remainers in that type of work, did you see all that lot waving banners in protest at Brexit, many of them young, how can they afford to be protesting...indeed some were paid protestors, likely classed as expenses rather than pay....

Of course everyone should have the option of working....or not working and starve....unless they have genuine health reasons why they cannot work.

Not uncommon to see people with various disabilities in work, at one time It would be embarrassing not to work if you were fit and work was available, these days few seem embarrassed about anything.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
jab1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 73

@shutter Good luck with getting a sensible response to that excellent analysis.😁

John
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 19

Nothing fake about that link.

It's a crazy proposal - but what do you expect from a government that favours Brexit?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

RobPN
Hero

@Anonymous wrote:

... simply suggesting that I’m sure they will want to do their best for post-Brexit Britain by making up for the shortfall in unskilled workers which there’s going to be with the government’s new immigrant policy. A price worth paying for taking back control of our borders, no?

@Anonymous 

It's simple maths to compare the number of openings for relatively low-skilled opportunities (e.g. basic carers, fruit/veg picking etc.) to the number of unskilled unemployed.  There are already sufficient numbers in the country without requiring free movement inwards to the UK.

Despite some east europeans having a good work ethic when they arrive, it doesn't always remain like that, no doubt some of those unskilled unemployed are recent EU migrants.

Edit: corrected half-typed word

RobPN
Hero

@gleneagles wrote:

....unless they have genuine health reasons why they cannot work.

Not uncommon to see people with various disabilities in work, at one time It would be embarrassing not to work if you were fit and work was available, these days few seem embarrassed about anything.

Unfortunately these days it's not uncommon to see people who are clearly blagging it to receive disability benefits, including in some cases free cars.  Angry

And I do realise that not all disabilities are apparent.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@RobPN wrote:
@Anonymous 

It's simple maths to compare the number of openings for relatively low-skilled opportunities (e.g. basic carers, fruit/veg picking etc.) to the number of unskilled unemployed.  There are already sufficient numbers in the country without requiring free movement inwards to the UK.

The government has been telling us for ages that the economy is doing really well, with unemployment at the lowest rate for years. The latest ONS figures indicate the unemployment rate among over 16s is 3.8%. Yet Priti Patel says 20% of 16-64 year olds are economically inactive and available to work in the areas which will have a shortage of (largely unskilled) labour as a result of the government’s new immigration system. Simple maths it is not. Simple lies more like.