cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Economically inactive? Not for long

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

Re: Economically inactive? Not for long

Good article that correctly says 'plenty of money hiding in plain sight locked up in under-performing local and government institutions'...

IMHO enough to train loads of underperforming British citizens...to make them into performing ones and reduce the burden on the welfare state,   which whole generations and beyond of them are institutionalised inmates who have never known ( or maybe wanted to know ) any other lifestyle.  It cannot be right when many generations of the same families are reliant on welfare payouts and know all the wrinkles about extracting money from the system - while some like my brother made redundant a couple of years before he was due to retire after working continuously  since he was 16,  could not get a penny - they said he had 'assets' by which they meant a house and a car that he had worked all his life to buy -  a neighbouring family who had never worked a day in their lives got their rent paid by DHSS and had a nearly new car - shameful...

https://www.conservativehome.com/platform/2020/02/andrew-haldenby-even-after-austerity-shocking-amou...

Highlighted
Aspiring Pro

@wotsup wrote:

my brother made redundant a couple of years before he was due to retire after working continuously  since he was 16,  could not get a penny - they said he had 'assets' by which they meant a house and a car that he had worked all his life to buy -  a neighbouring family who had never worked a day in their lives got their rent paid by DHSS and had a nearly new car - shameful...

@wotsup 

#DHOTYA

edited for clarity

Highlighted
Aspiring Pro

@wotsup wrote:

...you don't just post a polar opposite opinion to wind people up...

I think 99% of people on here will know who was being referred to...

Oh I agree with your last sentence - you have made your opinions perfectly clear on that matter. But some of us think that it would be good to have some diversity of opinion to make a change from the right wing, pro-brexit, anti-EU echo chamber that this place has become. Think of it as promoting freedom of speech.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

I seem to recall that a number of claimants who had been diagnosed by a Doctor or Consultant with a specific condition were finding the DHSS were using their own (unqualified medical) staff to assess people with a string of basic questions or physical actions and depending on the results using tick box questions were stopping people's benefits.

My sister in law who has spinal problems and in constant pain cannot walk more than a few yards does not drive but her husband who had the blue badge simply got a letter to say it was being withdrawn....no assessment...nothing.

So the DHSS seem to take little notice of what medical staff diagnose the DHSS assessment seems to take priority

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

@wotsup 

"I think we have a dedicated contrarian on this forum,  mentioning no names but I guess we all know who it is"

Absolutely, and I also have a message from his Mum.

She wants him to pick up those sticky tissues from his bedroom floor, tidy up and then go feed his pet hamster.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@rEUnite wrote:

@wotsup wrote:

...you don't just post a polar opposite opinion to wind people up...

I think 99% of people on here will know who was being referred to...

Oh I agree with your last sentence - you have made your opinions perfectly clear on that matter. But some of us think that it would be good to have some diversity of opinion to make a change from the right wing, pro-brexit, anti-EU echo chamber that this place has become. Think of it as promoting freedom of speech.

Be honest do you really believe many of the things you post or is it attention seeking behaviour knowing such posts will get a response.

Not that everyone responds to your posts for obvious reasons.

Highlighted
Aspiring Pro

@gleneagles

I don’t have to justify my posts to you or anyone else.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@gleneagles 

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that those who post on this forum do so in a balanced, incisive and mature-minded manner.

Certain others find it impossible to do so preferring instead to hijack just about any topic just so that they can blow that bent and battered EU bugle at any opportunity, and one that is out of tune with the majority.

Cotton wool anybody? 

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 18

So is this topic restricted only to those presently in favour of the Brexit jingoism?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 9

@Minivanman wrote:

@gleneagles 

so that they can blow that bent and battered EU bugle at any opportunity,

And when they leave do they play the last post?

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@VileReynard 

Of course not......

Its just that some cannot accept a decision and move on but seek to post links from all and sundry who express a negative opinion about the subject.

About time we all gave it a rest , by all means come back in 5 years and review what has happened but wild guesses from so called experts with their own axe to grind is quite pointless as we know from past predictions of doom and gloom.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@VileReynard 

Jingoism, really?

The point is or one that some are trying to make is that those who voted for Brexit have in the main moved on and do not keep dragging it back into discussions like some dead cat. 

Nothing wrong with opposing views, indeed they add vibrancy to the many topics we all enjoy, but after three long years it really is time to bury that cat and either move on... or move over.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@Jonpe 

Play the last post?

If only they would. A variation on Ode to Joy perhaps - only not all nine bloody verses! 😂

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@wotsup wrote:

Good article that correctly says 'plenty of money hiding in plain sight locked up in under-performing local and government institutions'...

IMHO enough to train loads of underperforming British citizens...to make them into performing ones and reduce the burden on the welfare state,   which whole generations and beyond of them are institutionalised inmates who have never known ( or maybe wanted to know ) any other lifestyle.  It cannot be right when many generations of the same families are reliant on welfare payouts and know all the wrinkles about extracting money from the system - while some like my brother made redundant a couple of years before he was due to retire after working continuously  since he was 16,  could not get a penny - they said he had 'assets' by which they meant a house and a car that he had worked all his life to buy -  a neighbouring family who had never worked a day in their lives got their rent paid by DHSS and had a nearly new car - shameful...

But they'll never own that home - and can be evicted at a moments notice. There is absolutely no security for these people at all. None. Worse, they're not even allowed to save for a deposit because then the state strips them of their benefits even if they ever could manage to save up (not that they can). The nearly new car will almost certainly be mobility due to some disability. If you think that's something to be envious of then you have problems. And this IS the problem - those with money or a house will always be jealous of those getting "free money" who in essence live on peanuts. Who in their right mind would want to be jealous of living in poverty - and yet so many people are because it's "free" money. If anybody wants to swap that lifestyle nobody will stop you - but you won't will you.

DHSS was renamed to thw DSS in the early 90s. It was then renamed to the DWP in the early 2000s. Try to keep up to date and in touch with reality because using DHSS just shows how far out of touch you are - and you're then passing judgement on others with a shocking lack of qualification. If you can't keep up, don't pass judgement on others.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Aspiring Legend

@7up 

On just a small point...

As far as the DWP is concerend, if you have capital of between £6,000 and £16,000, the first £6,000 is ignored whilst the rest is deemed to be "generating income" and benefits received are reduced accordingly - although how they heck they work that one out given current interest rates is beyond me.

I have the remnants (long story) of a small pension the amount of which is taken off what pension credit I recieve. So much for private pensions eh and trying to make you retirement even slightly more comfortable. 

They really are an awful outfit to deal with I am talking from experience with the worst case scenario being one of total reliability on their rules, regulations and seemingly arbritary decisions.

It was like living on the edge of a rug constantly under the threat of having it pulled out from under you.