cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Echo on Phone calls.

Community Veteran

Echo on Phone calls.

Something many of you I am sure have experienced. Usually you can hear your own echo to the point that it is not possible to have a conversation. The strange thing is when it happens:
When I phone my brothers Eircom landline from my Orange mobile. (Other Orange mobiles also, not sure about other networks).
When I phone my brothers Eircom landline from my Vonage VOIP line (Really annoying because this call is free.)
The strange thing is that if my brother makes the call to either my mobile of my VOIP line the call is perfect.
I have also made several VOIP calls to America and it has been perfect like the person is sitting beside me.
What causes this, who do I complain? Is it Eircom, Orange, Vonage? I am tired of this as I am obviously paying for the services which often are unusable.
3 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Echo on Phone calls.

Wonder if it could be caused by the model of phone you are using?  Might be worth a google or two, to see if there are any others with the same model suffering the echo.....
Do you use a headset with your voip?  i.e. headphones and combined mic (like aircraft pilots) or do you use the webcam/mic and speakers setup?
Community Veteran

Definitely not the model of phone. I upgrade my mobile every year and I have had the problem with every one, so does my sister with every Orange upgrade.
The Vonage VOIP line does not use a computer, just a normal phone connected to the supplied box which is then connected to my router. I have tried several phones with this with no improvement.
I thought it might be my brothers phone, the mic in the handset picking up the speaker but that doesn't explain why it does not happen when he makes the call.
mossgrove
Grafter

I have a distant memory that echo is due to "line conditioning" - some circuits are optimised for data and some for voice.  These days it is a matter of luck which kind of circuit your call gets routed over, hence sometimes you get unacceptable echo and sometimes not.  A relatively interesting and technical description here  http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Causes+of+Echo
I may be completely out of date though.