cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ecclestone gets peerage

nadger
Rising Star

Ecclestone gets peerage

Bernie Ecclestone is to get peerage for services to F1 in this country.
Thank god I then woke up in a cold sweat Smiley
I see that Silverstone are holding a press conference tomorrow so looks as if British GP has been saved.
Bearing in mind the close proximity, to Silverstone, of several of the F1 teams it would have been a disaster if we had lost our race.
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Ecclestone gets peerage

There's still the New years honours list before the next election  Wink
Sadly, I've never been to Silverstone - but compared to many of the other new circuits around the world that we've had in the last few years - it must be need of extensive rebuilding.
But as we don't havethe riches of the Middle  Eastern states - etc, who will pay.
One would have thought there is enough money floating around the F1 world.
It's a shame Donnington didn't mak it as that is much closer to major transport hubs, and the M1 - and more in the centre of the country.
hadden
Grafter

It would be a pity to lose a proper race circuit.
Watching the GP at Abu Dhabi, I did something that I've never done before watching a GP... I fell asleep!
What a spectacular and boring circuit.
Community Veteran

Peerage?
Are you sure you didn't mean peering.....
(short person, etc. etc.) Grin
csogilvie
Grafter

JohnJ - I actually watched the Abu Dhabi GP (although, not through choice - it happened to be on at a friends we were visiting) and I actually quite enjoyed watching it, even if there was no 'suspense' or drama with it already being decided.
nadger
Rising Star

Have to say that the Arab State circuits remind me of Scalextric but one does need a mix of venues - can't all be Monaco or Spa.
Road access to Silverstone had greatly improved last time I went past and the race does inject much needed money into the local economy.
We live at a helicopter cross-roads and north/south bound traffic passes almost directly above us ( we're about 400ft above sea level) and, on morning of race day, there's a steady flow of northbound traffic with reverse after the race. We are about 20 miles from Silverstone.
I've read that on race day Silverstone has more aircraft movements than anywhere else in the world.
Community Veteran

I'm not sure if Silverstone would beat Aberdeen helicopter movements in it's hayday.
But a friend of mine flys helicopters for Bristows and last time we talked about it - some years ago now, they sent down quite a few aircraft from Aberdeen, and they flew shuttles into circuit.
Not sure about Silverstones runway, and maximun size aircraft that can use it - not too large I guess, whereas Castle Donnington has an international airfield right next door.
But it will be interesting to see what develops.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

doesnt look like there is much runway lest, but hey since when did a chopper need a runway.
up to last year my stepson was the beat Sergeant for that area and his transport was a Scrambler bike
klyne
Grafter

Quote from: mal0z
I'm not sure if Silverstone would beat Aberdeen helicopter movements in it's hayday.
But a friend of mine flys helicopters for Bristows and last time we talked about it - some years ago now, they sent down quite a few aircraft from Aberdeen, and they flew shuttles into circuit.
Not sure about Silverstones runway, and maximun size aircraft that can use it - not too large I guess, whereas Castle Donnington has an international airfield right next door.
But it will be interesting to see what develops.

Silverstone only accepts helicopters, if think the planes landed at Cranfield and then people were ferried to Silverstone. The helicopter traffic is no where near as numerous as it used to be. In fact my next door neighbour use to go away on Grand Prix weekend because they could not stand the noise! I found it quite interesting waching them all fly over. The helicopter traffice has decreased since the A43 was ungraded. We went to a Grand Prix a couple of years ago and even on race day access was not too bad. Got there quicker than I did to Monaco on the train! I f think where most race fans disagree with Bernie is that the likes of the UK, German and Italy are at the heart of Grand Prix racing. Its all very well building these tracks in exotic locations but there is no fan base so its possible that if they were not subsidised by the Government in that location the tracks would fold. 
David (Milton Keynes)
nadger
Rising Star

True that without the original GPs ( France was there as well) the poison dwarf ( no not Dallas) wouldn't have had anything to base his empire on.
I think the teams should also have a lot more say about the circuits.
If Silverstone are coughing up what Bernie wants then where will the money come from to improve the actual circuit. At least the Canadian authorities have put up funds to support their Grand Prix.
nadger
Rising Star

The deal is done.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8397777.stm
Like to know how much has been paid.
Simon_M
Grafter

At last!!
Just in time for some Christmas present ticket sales too.
Community Veteran

Great - and with a 17 year contract they can get serious investment money coming in to update and develop the site.