cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay - temporary access denial by email

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Ebay - temporary access denial by email

Interesting !... I am "managing" my wife`s email on the webmail section... ( In other words, I delete all her emails because she gets tons and tons and tons of spam) I filter out anything that I think MAY well be a genuine email, but she doesn`t send emails from her address, and only uses it to "log in" on other sites like facebook, .... where 99%  of the spam comes from.
anyway.... hidden away in the middle of the latest batch was an email from "ebay"...
now I know that she does not log in to ebay, except with my permission , on MY account.... so the following comes as a bit of a surprise... ( I think she has got a login on ebay, but has never used it over the past 3 or 4 years)  ( she has probably forgotten her login stuff, I certainly have ! ! ! !)
**********************************************************************************************************************************************************************
eBay

Your online access has been temporarily suspended
We recently detected failed attempts to provide the correct answers to your security questions. As a result, we temporarily suspended online access to your account.

Security questions are one of the ways eBay confirms your identity. For your protection, eBay safeguards your account whenever there is a possibility that someone other than you is attempting to sign on.

As a security measure we had to temporarily suspend your account.

eBay is dedicated to protecting your information. Learn about our security questions and what we do to protect your accounts online.

To restore your account we have attached a form to this email.
Please download the form and follow the instructions on your screen.
NOTE: The form needs to be opened in a modern, javascript enabled, browser

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Please do not reply to this email directly. To ensure a prompt and secure response, sign on to email us.

Sincerely,
eBay

Help Center | Security Center
This email was sent by an automated system, so if you reply, nobody will see it. To get in touch with us, log in to your account and click "Contact Us" at the bottom of any page.
Copyright © 2012 eBay, Inc. All rights reserved. eBay is located at 2211 N. First St., San Jose, CA 95131.
eBay Email ID PP1478

**************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
Looks genuine enough.... but the liine   " Please download the form and follow the instructions on your screen." rang alarm bells with me...
she would probably not know how to do it, and ask me ! ! ...
however, I post this as an advisory for others....

anyone else had this one?  or do you think it might very well be genuine?
9 REPLIES
kmilburn
Grafter

Re: Ebay - temporary access denial by email

IMHO,  that sounds like a Phishing expedition...
As usual with any email like that,  it's best to ignore it and go directly to the 'affected' website.
Fixes: 125

There have been a few times when I have been locked out of an online account and never have any of the companies involved ever asked for a form to be downloaded. Usually a link is provided so I agree with kmilburn that this is phishing or maybe a trojan or other virus is hidden in the attachment Sad
If you had tried to reset passwords, etc but entered wrong answers to security questions you'd get an instant message informing you to check your email and reset the password from there.
Currently I am getting around 4/5 emails a day reminding me of a hotel booking and to download their form to complete the details - as if I would. Even if I had booked a hotel I'd still not download anything.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

GrahamC
Grafter

Bin fodder.....wouldn't touch it with any kind of browser nevermind one with javascript enabled  Shocked
Community Veteran

As a general rule you never follow any email links to a login page.
With ebay the obvious way to tell a fake email is that they are always addressed to you by name.
If it didn't start:-
Hello "Mrs Shutter",
then it was a fake.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

CC to ebays phish email, I get those a lot for paypal on my hotmail accounts
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

No eBay ID? No name? Phishy phishy phishy!
Not young enough to know everything
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Most genuine ebay emails use my real name in them. Any that don't I treat as phising and thats exactly what your email sounds like.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

Ebay http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/account/reporting-spoof.html says forward it to spoof@ebay.co.uk
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Ok. Thanks  "Anotherone".....
( will get around to doing routerstats after my hols next week  Wink  )