cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay seller help, please

Fixes: 125

Ebay seller help, please

We're selling a Kingsize bed on eBay as 'Buy it now'. We have 17 watching butone person has emailed that he would like to purchase it as Cash on Collection as she states she doesn't have a PayPal account and has aske for my address. I find it hard to believe anyone on eBay doesn't have one but I may just be wrong.
It's £80 and I don't really have any issue with a cash transaction but just wondering whether doing it that way could come back to bite me on the bum.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Cheers

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

29 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Ebay seller help, please

Not sure of any 'bite you on the bum' type issues but many sellers with large bulky items that cannot be posted ask for cash on collection in preference (I guess it saves possible Paypal fees), as long as the cash you're offered is genuine I can't really see an issue.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

She doesn't need a PayPal account to pay all she needs is a debit / credit card, I use eBay quite often but I don't have nor want a Paypal account and I can still buy stuff.
As w23 says the money she's giving you may not be genuine so even if it means you losing a few pennies on the transaction costs I would have her use a card, if she's a serious buyer then it won't be an issue.
Community Veteran

Could be genuine, if not make sure you have "a friend" (you know the sort, intimidating, not very talkative, stares a lot, etc.) with you the whole time the transaction occurs... Smiley
There are plenty of buyers on ebay who don't, can't or won't use paypal for various reasons, and most transactions like those are usually hassle free, and best part is that they can't instigate a false refund claim as cash in hand is hard to refund electronically... Smiley

Thanks for all the replies.
I'll take the risk as it is basically dead money anyway. Saves us paying for it to be disposed of Wink
This is the first time I have sold this way so I assume I should get her to sign something at says 'Sold as seen'?

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Community Veteran

So long as your listing states it's used and sold as seen, then buying it is agreeing to those terms (even if a lot of morons don't quite get that fact when they clicked "I agree to these terms" when they signed up for an ebay account!!), so you're covered... Smiley
Community Veteran

Well no they aren't, this would equate to a private transaction as no money will be going through the eBay system so no protection, the buyer has just seen the bed for sale on eBay just as if were in print in a new paper or Post Office wall

Think I'll give this one a miss...
Just got a reply saying she's gone elsewhere as my response was a bit late ( did miss if for just over a day as have been studying hard) then 10 minutes later offered me £60. Maybe she wants two kingsize beds  Tongue

Community Veteran

Cash on collection is the best way to go for large low priced items.
There is no comeback.
The buyer examines the item and hands over the cash.
That's it.
I've done this many times both buying and selling.
And once the contact has been made sometimes there is the option of selling direct so no ebay fees either.
The number of watchers are often meaningless. Besides people just looking many will be watching just to see if the item sells at that price because they have a bed to flog themselves.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I once sold some welding equiptment on ebay, collection only as it was to expensive to post and the buyer asked if he could pay cash if he won the auction, which he did and paid me in cash so no problem, however I wondered if he came along after winning and either offered me less than the agreed price knowing I would have no comeback on ebay or decided not to go ahead with the purchase for some reason.
Sellers can no longer give negative reviews so if things had gone wrong it could have caused a few time consuming problems.
Card transactions are a much safer bet but what if someone complained they had purchased something using their card and claimed when they got the item that it was faulty ? would the card company take up the issue ?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

You DON'T have to sell it if they take the mick with you. If they try and offer less then refuse and re-list it, saying non-paying buyer as the reason.
Community Veteran

At the end of the day it's your item. It's your decision to sell or not.
Ebay and the like are only venues to aid this nothing more.

I sent her a reply stating that I am not in a position to reduce the price to which she responded that £60 is all she has left after waiting for my reply Crazy

Community Veteran

I suspect that was her intention all along, so when she arrived at the door that would be her offer, in the hope of getting a better deal. Some people!
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: Mav
I sent her a reply stating that I am not in a position to reduce the price to which she responded that £60 is all she has left after waiting for my reply Crazy
Maybe you should of told her that if she had gone through the proper channels she wouldn't of got it for a reduced price anyway. Personally I would stick it on Gumtree.