10 REPLIES
TORPC
Grafter

Re: Ebay - buying a second hand CPU Q6600 SLACR

It may help if we knew something about the system specs the CPU is for
Thunderclap
Grafter

Cool Be sure to read the motherboard's manual thoroughly first.
You may have some issues with FSB / Memory timing when changing processors if those associated settings are not set to AUTO in the bios. Second user CPUs are often no problem - being burnt-in they tend to be fault tollerant.
* I hope the seller has removed from their bin any processors that look tarnished from heat stress *
When you fit it, use plenty of heatsink compound - which is more than they ever use in the factory - or use a sticky thermal pad [ which may cost as much as the CPU ]
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Basically the CPU is the weak point in the system and looking at the options the Q6600 will do the job without a bios flash so will be the option if the bios flash screws up
Fortunately it is a Gigabyte Board with dual bios which has saved my bacon before
CPU E6750
GPU Nvidia 650Ti
4GB Ram
Win 7
To clarify - the total novice bit is buying on Ebay not building PC's as I have been doing that for years
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: Thunderclap
When you fit it, use plenty of heatsink compound - which is more than they ever use in the factory - or use a sticky thermal pad [ which may cost as much as the CPU ]

There is a reason the factories do not use much heat sink compound. It's supposed to be minimal so that the heatsink will absorb the rest of the heat. Too much compound will actually do the opposite - stop the heatsink drawing enough heat.
With the millions of pounds these companies spend on R&D, I should think they know better than the home DIY'ers 'instinct'.
Besides if you use too much, the heatsink then squeezes it out onto the rest of the CPU chip which is not designed to take heat. Thats why you use a tiny blob on the heatplate to fill the tiny gaps and leave it at that so that the heatsink can make the closest contact possible.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
CX
Grafter

A Q6600 should keep you going for a while longer.
My main PC has a Phenom II X4 905e, which is similar in performance to the Q6600 at stock clocks, teamed up with a GeForce 660ti, and I still haven't come across anything that leaves me wanting for more performance out of it.
I agree with 7up about the thermal compound. I remember reading a guide when I put in the Phenom back in 2010 - showing optimal patterns for various CPU types (e.g. AMD dual, AMD quad, Intel dual, Intel quad) depending upon where the actual cores sit. It really was a tiny amount (I used Arctic Cooling MX-1) and has worked great.
I recently threw together a PC for a relative from parts bought on eBay. The biggest problem was the motherboard as the person it came from was an obvious smoker, and didn't even bother to dust it. How lovely to open the box and be greeted by brown congealed "dust". At least the smell dissipated after a couple of days running the thing (either that, or I'm now a cigarette addict and subconsciously crave them).
TORPC
Grafter

Quote from: 7up
<snip>
There is a reason the factories do not use much heat sink compound. It's supposed to be minimal so that the heatsink will absorb the rest of the heat. Too much compound will actually do the opposite - stop the heatsink drawing enough heat.
With the millions of pounds these companies spend on R&D, I should think they know better than the home DIY'ers 'instinct'.
Besides if you use too much, the heatsink then squeezes it out onto the rest of the CPU chip which is not designed to take heat. Thats why you use a tiny blob on the heatplate to fill the tiny gaps and leave it at that so that the heatsink can make the closest contact possible.

Nails on head springs to mind Wink
I have experimented with both recommendations & guess which works best

The manufacturers recommendations always work best in these situations
To coin a phrase
Less is more

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: Oldjim
Being a total novice at this - buying second hand on ebay not building PC's
Is there any thing to look out for other than the seller reputation

With Ebay the seller's reputation is the main thing you can go by, also read feedback (particularly look for similar items) to see exactly what other customers say.
I've had a couple of CPUs from Ebay (including the one that's been in this very laptop for several years - still going strong), not yet had a problem.
I'ts good if the photograph is of the actual item being sold (should be stated or you can ask), above all don't pay too much, although high-end in their day (and still fairly desirable) these are older generation kit.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: TORPC
Quote from: 7up
<snip>

Nails on head springs to mind Wink
I have experimented with both recommendations & guess which works best

The manufacturers recommendations always work best in these situations
To coin a phrase
Less is more

I had to fix an old HP laptop last year which was knackered, had over 1k infections, heating fan was like a 747 etc.
Now I looked up this laptop online in several places to get to the bottom of this overheating issue. Tons of people were saying that the copper shim on the processor wasn't thick enough, HP had screwed up the design, blah, blah, blah. It all sounded like a load of b******s to be quite frank. So there was people selling copper shims for this model on ebay on the basis that HPs cooling system was inadequate and promising to solve peoples over heating problems.
So I took the fan apart, cleaned out the dust and reassembled: problem solved. No copper shim required Roll eyes
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

but there are times when its not the case, the hp laptops I bought a few years ago (one for each brat) all had a problem with the stock hsf, the things were nasty right from the second they were switched on (bearing scream from 50% speed to an earsplitting  level at full speed) that was down to HP's production line messing up tolerances, a cheap aftermarket purchase off ebay and they worked like a dream (well for 4 years so far they have anyhow)
similar problems are common with hsf units sold by companies like anthill and cyrex (although to be fair anthill did buy them out a few decades ago) in that the stock units are underpowered and overly noisy ....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Part way there - just successfully flashed the bios to F14 so now to find a suitable processor  Grin