cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay blunder... whoops

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Ebay blunder... whoops

Ok so I've been hunting for somthing for a while .. long story short I found one, bought it and realised I made a massive blunder as it has the wrong power requirements  Crazy
Whoops  Sad  Cheesy I really can't believe I did such a stupid thing  Roll eyes I'll blame it on my troubles and health for distracting me  Wink
Anyway, it ain't gonna be much use so now I need to sell it on again asap (hoping for another free listing weekend soon lol). Problem is its one of those devices that doesn't have a huge market so I need to really dress it up somehow in order to shift it.
I'm not asking for advice on how to deal with it (my problem although if you have any tips..) but it got me wondering.. surely you guys must have some tales to tell about stuff you've sold on ebay or struggled to sell on ebay? Maybe you've made a purchase blunder like me or even sold something accidentally or at the wrong price?
Go on.. share the stories!  Smiley
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Ebay blunder... whoops

I need some device on my laptop to stop me bidding on things when the alcohol in my blood is above a certain limit.
I often get an email notification that I've won an auction that I have no recollection of bidding on. Last week was a 500 line telephone exchange.
Fortunately I've managed to hide it before the wife spotted it.
Another drunken purchase was the car on my driveway ... not the brand new VW Golf (that's the wifes) but the 12 year old Astra with less power than my lawnmower. At least it's actually not cost me much to keep going over the past couple of years.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

My only recent blunder was to order a hub for the car, WRONG side! Luckly the seller reversed the sale so I didn't have to buy it.
My advice is contact the seller and see if they are open to reversing the sale, they can offer it to the 2nd highest bidder. They may do it they may not.
Community Veteran

Purchased some bleed valve screws for our radiators as the head  on the old ones are getting rounded off.
Measured them using a ruler but when they arrived they were too small, so ordered the next size up, again they were wrong, can only assume the threads on our radiator which is about 25 years old differ to these bleed screws........... fortunately they only cost a couple of pounds.
Picbits,
Never go on line and buy stuff with alcohol in you. Everything sounds and looks better than it actually is, a mate any myself went to a car auction years ago with a few pints inside us and he won a bid on a car that we had not looked at other than from the seats in the auction room, on collecting it the far side was badly damaged and from where we were we could not see it.
Community Veteran

Quote from: picbits
I need some device on my laptop to stop me bidding on things when the alcohol in my blood is above a certain limit.
I often get an email notification that I've won an auction that I have no recollection of bidding on. Last week was a 500 line telephone exchange.
Fortunately I've managed to hide it before the wife spotted it.
Another drunken purchase was the car on my driveway ... not the brand new VW Golf (that's the wifes) but the 12 year old Astra with less power than my lawnmower. At least it's actually not cost me much to keep going over the past couple of years.

LOLOL!!! Mate.. that cracked me right up lol. 500 line phone exchange hehehe.. I thought I was bad liking my industrial gizmos
Community Veteran

Quote from: Hairy
My advice is contact the seller and see if they are open to reversing the sale

Nah the seller specified no returns and sold as seen  Roll eyes Plus its been sent and it's sat in some warehouse somewhere. In fairness it's a product I wanted but I wanted 12V and accidentally won the 5V - which no-one else had bid on. Damn lol. So I'm down around £100 but I'll stick it back on when it gets here and see if I can get shot of it again lol. That or I need to find an old granny who'll take it for £150 lol
Community Veteran

Quote from: Sprite
LOLOL!!! Mate.. that cracked me right up lol. 500 line phone exchange hehehe.. I thought I was bad liking my industrial gizmos

You'd have laughed more watching me try and get it up the stepladder and  through the loft hatch - the main box must have weight around 35Kg !
Community Veteran

Strewth mate you like a challenge eh?
So if I want another laugh from you, what extension do I dial?  Cheesy
Community Veteran

Well it's turned up today.. despite the seller saying its a 5V device (and i had wanted 12v) it actually turned up... as 12V  Shocked
Now that was a shock! I'd opened it up expecting to see it but not be able to use it and thinking I'd have to sell it on. I guess it's staying now  Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Just goes to show, Sprite.... the whole world is not such a bad place to live !....  Wink
Community Veteran

Not always mate no! I was really gutted about it when I realised I'd not seen it said 5V on the auction and was very annoyed with myself for making such a blunder.
I couldn't believe it this morning when I opened it up and looked at the power adapter - 12V 1A it said on it lol. Woohoo! I still can't believe it.. I was really gutted about it being a 5V supply too as it was supposed to draw 2.5A and on a 65Ah battery.. thats just 24 hours. Now it will in theory get a max of 2.5 days *IF* it draws a whole 1A (which I suspect is the max when the IR lighting is on etc).
It's up in the living room being tested now (IP camera). So far so good, though there are one or two minor niggles but seeing as I got it for a bargain price I can't complain too much.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Yeah, but you missed my point.... life can be tough for a lot of the time... but every now and then the sun shines.... you getting what you wanted ( a 12v item instead of what you thought you were getting  {the 5v version} is your ray of sunshine... and thate means the whole world is not against you and there are some bright spots to lighten the gloom of every day drudgery. 
Keep smiling... and enjoy your ray of sunshine...
If you want to save energy.... SMILE.... smiles use less energy than frowns , and if you think about it the more you have smiles on your face, the further you are from crying and depression. 
( there is a mile between the start and finish of SmileS...)  Wink
Community Veteran

Quote from: shutter
Yeah, but you missed my point.... life can be tough for a lot of the time... but every now and then the sun shines.... you getting what you wanted ( a 12v item instead of what you thought you were getting  {the 5v version} is your ray of sunshine... and thate means the whole world is not against you and there are some bright spots to lighten the gloom of every day drudgery. 

I didn't miss your point mate, I knew what you were saying, I was just letting off a bit of excitement in my last post lol.
In general my life is rather gruelling most days. I struggle through taking one kick in the teeth after another but every now and then something nice happens.. it's rare but it does happen.