Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay and buying from over there?

OshB5
Grafter

Ebay and buying from over there?

Hi All
I have seen there is lots of negative talk about Ebay out there I have to say I have so far not had a problem with the eastern dros that we get from over there . I have been lucky I think. Then there is Paypal as a bit of a safety net which sometimes works in your favour But once again depends on the amount sold by the seller I mean if they are selling thousands of items and you are buying just a few you can always guess who paypal sides with Its economics is it not?
But Iv just used another method for the first time (Well second the other was a few years ago but was for something I should not really have ordered LOL) And it was from a site called Ali Express I sorted out a few bits that I wanted and bunched them into parcels that was not more than the import duty allowance So as not to get charged the extra duty. then ordered and all have come fine and all are as described and do what they say on the tin as the saying goes..
The Ali Express site covers everything and I mean everything that is made by the far eastern small companies and from PC gear to clothes to automotive and even gardening stuff So a full range of items. Copys of named items included which we dont want to know about. The only thing is no paypal but when they side with the other party its like have no paypal anyway?
So have a look and see what you think ?                http://www.aliexpress.com/
I know I shall order again As im just sorting out a order now for some costume jewellery for the missus LOL Shocked
regs Osh
21 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Ebay and buying from over there?

I've heard many good things about aliexpress over on the MSE forums on their ebay board but I've never used it myself.
I do however use ebay periodically and while I've had the odd glitch, nothing majorly serious.
The trouble is though, many folks will judge ebay as being the big bad dodgy evil of internet purchasing. If they get one thing go wrong on ebay thats it - ebay is crap, evil, a con etc. You can go to your local saturday boot sale and get stiffed by a buyer there too but it doesn't make the whole bootsale a con! On the internet and specifically with ebay, people judge the entire thing by one trader.
I've bought things from people on ebay and regretted it, it's always been sorted out though and I've never judged ebay as a con for it. One item I bought was pretty rare and I wanted one for the novelty / gizmo effect as they're so rare. It came up on ebay and the seller said collection only. I contacted them and pleaded with them and sure enough they agreed to post it for me. I got it the next day after payment and we were both happy - positive feedback left by both of us.
I know there are a few here who are wary of ebay but it's only a site to introduce buyers and sellers to each other really. It isn't actually ebay that screws you over.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
RichAllen
Grafter

I was looking on eBay last night, there's a costume I want for Halloween, Zombie Batman, which is £44 on eBay plus £2 postage, temptng but I checked the seller's feedback, he's had over 600 negatives in the past month! I wouldn't touch them with a 10 foot barge pole even though they've also had loads of positives in the last month.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I bought a tablet on Ebay, buy it now! Paid my money via Paypal.  Then received a message from ebay..'don't purchase from these people'.  Ooops, too late.
Contacted Paypal and Ebay. Had to follow their procedure. took me 4 days, bu they refunded then on fourth day.Not sure who from, seller, paypal or Ebay. but it returned via Paypal.
Worked really well. Smiley
Community Veteran

I've had a a couple of those ebay messages.
But the messages arrived after the items were delivered.
nadger
Rising Star

Have used eBay for over 10 years with no real problems. Have even bought and sold a car.
Recently have found Amazon to be as competitive for certain items like Nokia Lumia 520 that I bought as present for daughter.
Community Veteran

Quote from: nadger
Recently have found Amazon to be as competitive

The wheelchair I bought recently was cheaper on Amazon than ebay. Even though the seller was on both.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I've used Aliexpress  a few times, their 'Escrow' payment service seems to provide some protection to the buyer (though I've never had to use it).
Similar to Ebay, there are some sellers selling cheap junk and reading feedback is essential.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
RichAllen
Grafter

I'm looking for an alternative to eBay, cos I hate Paypal.
Thunderclap
Grafter

Any issues with Customs Duty when buying form China?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Do expect to pay customs duty (and an admin fee if DHL or similar is used for shipping) though many sellers declare a lower value for goods so you can end up paying less than you expect.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Razer
Grafter

Quote from: doris
Then received a message from ebay..'don't purchase from these people'.

I've had such a message once before, after I'd bought a couple of times from one particular seller. I understood perfectly that it was not about warning me that I might be ripped off, but that it was because the seller was selling items illegal in this country. I concluded ebay were just covering their own [Censored].
EDIT: So it's now been deemed that a really common word for the backside is to be considered offensive and as such will now be censored? This forum is so pathetic. What are we dealing with here, five-year-olds?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: Thunderclap
Any issues with Customs Duty when buying form China?

I bought a Short Wave Portable Radio from China.... ( via Ebay )  cost me about £65 inc p&p    it contained 4 AA rechargable batteries, that were already charged ( needed to pull a tab from one end contact to get working)... took about 2 weeks to arrive but never had any customs to pay...
however... a "contact" on the internet decided to send me some electronic components, value about $5 U.S... and I had to pay £11.00 customs duty before the post office would hand over the small parcel ... even though it was marked as a "gift"...
RichAllen
Grafter

Last year I bought a region free Xbox 360 game from Hong Kong on eBay, I thought I'd get stung on customs, but I didn't thankfully.
Community Veteran

I've bought lots of bits from Hong Kong & China without any problems. Never had to pay duty etc either.
Only ever had one faulty item. I contacted the seller and they sent me a replacement immediately.
I had three problems with UK sellers recently (remember the 64Gb pen drives for £9.99?). I used PayPal dispute procedure for all three and PayPal refunded me on two of them and the seller on one!
Geoff,
York.