cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay again!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Ebay again!

So got an email from ebay this morning, nothing unusual there you say, but it was saying that I had missed out on an item I HADN'T bid on.
So thought must be a pisshing attack. Checked email nope it seems to be genuine.
Checked my account on line, and nothing there.
Contacted ebay. Spent 2 minutes waiting for chat session, gave them the details, passed to other department.
Turns out email is REAL, but I bid on the item on 2013! They claim it was just a glitch  Undecided  Crazy
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Re: Ebay again!

better late than never, as they say.
sjptd
Grafter

I wonder if Plusnet support would have dealt with an equivalent glitch as quickly?
Community Veteran

ebay is good at reminding bidders of similar products to one they may have lost out on. There has to be a time limit though Wink
Just shows, however, that they keep bidding details for quite a time afterwards.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Took delivery of my new winch yesterday via Ebay. List price £247 I got it for £68.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

Sorry I should have been clearer. It said I HAD BID on the item and lost it. That was what got me wondering. Not a similar to ones you are watching usual messages.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

So, are they just getting round to telling you you missed out in 2013 (or possibly that it had recently been re-listed and you've missed out again)?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Funny you mention this, the other day I got a message about an item I missed out on (an AMD Opteron 180 Socket 939 CPU located in hong kong), and I too thought it was a dodgy email from a scammer or someone hacking my account, but looking through my email history, it was back in June 2013 that I made an offer for it (but was declined after two hours), ebay must have been having one hell of a glitch to send a "Sorry you missed out on this item" email two years after I gave a rat's posterior about it... Grin
Never did get an Opteron for my old 939 though, oh well...
Community Veteran

Well it said it ended today, but as I say my bid was back in '13. I don't want it now
Community Veteran

wasn't ebay hacked a while ago?  maybe the hackers got a pile of old emails and thought they'd try their luck.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: artmo
Just shows, however, that they keep bidding details for quite a time afterwards.

They've always claimed not to keep these details for long but a few years ago my feedback profile suddenly listed each purchase underneath - which I was actually rather pleased about as it meant i could find each seller easily etc. Then within days it all vanished again. When I contacted ebay to ask for this to be reinstated they claimed they didn't keep this information for longer than 90 days  Crazy
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Quote from: 7up
my feedback profile suddenly listed each purchase underneath

It's annoying that details of sold goods are listed but as you say no bought goods.
I can see the logic in this if examining feedback of others but I can see no reason for this omission on your own logged in accounts.