cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay Virgin at my age.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 5

Re: Ebay Virgin at my age.

I once won a 'good as new' 26" NICAM stereo television, complete with remote and handbook, all for a penny !  Kiss
I don't know what it cost the seller in terms of eBay listing fees, and presumably PayPal took a cut as well !.  Roll_eyes
It did feel all rather awkward when I went to collect it from them, but at the end of the day I got a great bargain.  Cool
I have also won a TV for 99 pence,  and two others for less that £10,  but that 1p TV is going to be hard to beat !  Cheesy
Plusnet FTTC 80/20 IPv4/30, Hurricane Electric 6in4 IPv6/48, Pulse8 landline & calls, SamKnows 600N
Vigor 130 modem, pfSense 2.4.4-p3 router, 5 WAPs, Devolo dLAN 500, Gigaset N300A-IP VoIP DECT
Community Veteran

I've had a few bargains where the postage has been far greater than the item, but certainly not for 1p .  DVDs in particular for 50p have been common. 
At one time sellers would load the postage charge so that they didn't pay so much commission but as I said earlier ebay are on to that now.
Community Veteran

I have won heavy reference books for 99p + £2.00 P&P,  - then when the parcel arrives the cost of postage on it was in the region of £8 or £9 !  Grin
So sellers also need to be aware of all the costs and do their research too - if they don't want to make a loss !!!  Embarrassed
Plusnet FTTC 80/20 IPv4/30, Hurricane Electric 6in4 IPv6/48, Pulse8 landline & calls, SamKnows 600N
Vigor 130 modem, pfSense 2.4.4-p3 router, 5 WAPs, Devolo dLAN 500, Gigaset N300A-IP VoIP DECT
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Ok I won the bid and I'm not sure what's going on now  Shocked Not being able to use my bank account details and paypal haven't emailed me back about the old account I took advise and paid with my credit card through Paypal.
Now the bottom price was £4.99 and I bid a fiver, it said P&P was a fiver so I guess I should be paying £10? When I went to my paypal account and logged in my ebay details it said items need paid for 1 @ £4.99  Shocked It gave me no options to increase the amount so I paid the £4.99 and sent the seller a message saying to contact me if there is a problem, that was yesterday and so far haven't heard anything back.
What's happening here then?
Community Veteran

This will resolve itself in future once Paypal has sorted things out for you.  It looks like you still owe the postage but wait until you hear from the seller.  Being a Bank Holiday weekend maybe there's nobody around at present.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Quote from: artmo

I'm always amazed at people who start at 1p or 99p.  Many of the items actually go for this price.  It's not worth the bother.  Ebay keep a check on postage costs these days so the seller can't even rely on this to make a profit.

A couple of days ago, I managed to lose my lens cap... (I don`t like it dangling on a string when taking pics, so it is not attached to camera)... so I looked to ebay to find a replacement.... a local seller to me, (ebay buisness seller) had one the right size for 99p INCLUDING POSTAGE... I bid 99p and won it !.    Cheesy
I could quite easily have sent an email suggesting I come an collect it, but even if it had been in the next street, I would have lost out on the diesel/leather to do that....  Grin Grin Grin
Community Veteran

Looks like we've bagged ourselves a few bargains over the weekend. Smiley  I bid 99p for a speed reading course and won it Smiley
pierre_pierre
Grafter

you need that for some of the posts on here :crazy: :crazy:
Community Veteran

The only thing I won this weekend was a component for my automatic irrigation system for my greenhouses, as the seller had undervalued what it was really worth, and had listed it as a "Buy-It-Now".  Smiley
So I paid about half the normal shop price, whereas the parts normally go for about three quarter the shop price.  So I saved about £10 on something I needed for a project this autumn.
Prices on Sunday were ridiculous !  Angry
I usually don't make too much effort bidding on stuff on Sundays as the prices are generally higher than any other day - and I only bid if the price is right !
But this Sunday was like the perfect storm for eBay bidders, firstly it was a Sunday, but it was also in a bank holiday weekend, AND the weather was rubbish - so everyone was on eBay.
So the number of bids was around twice that normally seen, and I reckon the winning prices were in the region of 180% of normal, so I didn't bid on ANY of the 147 items I was watching.
I wish eBay would change the charging structure for sellers, so that it becomes advantageous for auctions to finish on weekdays. At the moment about half of all items are sold on Sundays, with the rest sprinkled throughout the week.
One of my many gripes with eBay is that the "Watched Items" list is only 200 items long, and when you consider I was watching 147 items just on Sunday then it is not difficult to imagine how much effort it takes maintaining the "Watched Items" list.  In my case I have made the situation worse in that an account can only have 100 "Saved Searches", so I now have three accounts just to get my saved searches up to 290 or so, and even then I am constantly refining the searches.  Having 290 "Saved Searches" then leads to typically 120 "Favourite Search" emails arriving every day, which then means finding the best email client to process these efficiently.
I just don't understand why eBay is so restrictive.  :crazy:
Community Veteran

Little update, been away working so just left everything with ebay checking my messages with the mobile and the seller never replied to my messages. This morning the wireless router turned up packaged nice everything as described just haven't plugged it in yet  Cool
Not sure what to do with the P&P. Couple of questions, is it possible that they put up £5 P&P as a worst case scenario and when they realised it was a UK delivery just wavered it? Is it bad practice to not pay this money even though it shows up as full paid in my ebay account?
I don't want the seller giving me any bad comments but I have made the effort and messaged them twice so I guess there is nothing much else I can do.
itsme
Grafter

Sellers can't give a negative feedback to buyers any more, they can give bad comments but this does not make sense if the feedback is positive! As for postage this is automatically added when paying by Paypal so if it was not it would be down to the seller not listing the item correctly.
Community Veteran

Looks like you've completed your first ebay deal AverageWhiteBloke and got a bargain at the same time.  Hope you find ebay fun.
One point that may be of interest.  Today I found a DVD on ebay that was going for £9.99 'Buy it Now'.  Checked on Amazon and found it for £6.99 delivered free. Always worth checking.
Community Veteran

Quote from: itsme
Sellers can't give a negative feedback to buyers any more, they can give bad comments but this does not make sense if the feedback is positive! As for postage this is automatically added when paying by Paypal so if it was not it would be down to the seller not listing the item correctly.

Interesting comment. I had a bad experience recently. I bought an item and the seller left the positive feedback and a very complimentary comment. Subsequently I found the item was not as described went through the resolution process (waste of time) which included dialogue with the seller etc. The resolution process failed me and then I left negative feedback for the seller. Later I noticed that  the nice feedback he had made previously had been amended to some quite derogatory comments.
198kHz
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 15

I once won a 'Mr & Mrs' TV spin-off DVD game from a radio station, which I put straight onto eBay at 99p. There was a mini 'bidding war' between two or three punters, and it went for about £7 more than the normal shop price.  Grin
As an informal provider of techie help for friends and acquaintances, I like to keep a stock of routers, and eBay has been very useful for this. I must have bought a dozen or so 2Wire 2700HGVs, HG-Bs, and Thomson ST585s, some still shrink wrapped, at an average of less than £5 inc P&P.  Smiley
To err is human, but to really foul things up requires a forum upgrade.
Community Veteran

Ahh ok I'll just leave it at that then. BTW 4C I was getting a 2Wire 2700HGV myself for £4.99 sealed never used  Cool Apparently they are quite good with long noisy telephone lines dropping connection. Only time will tell! I have the instructions off Kitz to unlock it from BT so I hope it works.
I've been having problems with noise on my line and apparently these routers have a built in Faraday cage to protect it  from electrical interference.