cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay Tracking

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Ebay Tracking

I just received an email headed "Still looking for IDE HDD to SATA 100/133 Serial ATA Converter Adapter" from Ebay
Now that was a search I did via Google on the 7th August and when I went to the ebay site I wasn't logged in
So how did they know it was me
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Ebay Tracking

I think you'll find it is Google doing the tracking and then making ebay suggestions. Seems weird but I guess Google have found a way to make it pay.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

even though I wasn't logged into Google either
I wonder if this is a penalty of having a fixed IP address
TORPC
Grafter

@OJ
I think you might be onto something there (in your case)
However I was logged in when I searched for 12v LED switches & thrice I got emails asking if I am still interested, yet I purchased the ones that were needed at the time of the search
I have had a couple asking if I am still interested in 80MM fan grill(s) which are more expensive than the ones I purchased & had already arrived via snail mail
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

If you were on a computer where you regularly use eBay then it saves your account info stored into the computer.  If you look closely, you may not be signed in but your name appears on the top left of the eBay site page.  Also I can't comment on the fixed IP address  Undecided
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. BT Infinity Customer using a BT Smart Hub. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs Up
TORPC
Grafter

Talk about coincidences,
I have just had another one, this time asking if I am interested in 120MM fans grills cheaper than I paid for the 80MM fan grills
Is there a way to prevent all these emails, as to me it seems an invasion, as they know what I bought & whom from etc that is all they should know (is'nt it) ?Huh

Community Veteran

my name isn't shown
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Check your profiles/settings on ebay.. to see what is allowed in the way of "promotional emails" etc..... 
nanotm
Pro

you need to check your browser cookie settings, I have mine set to accept persession cookies and block all the rest, its annoying sometimes you have to manually add a website to the allowed list in order to use it but most of the time it works perfectly and stops a lot of the unwanted mail spam
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

I have ebay allowed because I need it for tracking bids etc,
As you I block them unless I really need them and use session cookies where needed
All 3rd party cookies are blocked
TORPC
Grafter

same here but it never stops them sending the emails
nanotm
Pro

maybe its a browser dependant thing, I use IE11 and in the check boxes I have auto cookie handling disabled, allow session cookies and allow 1st party cookies block 3rd party cookies, then I also have it set to delete history on exit and I haven't had any unwanted advertising emails so far (despite having a static ip), perhaps one of the websites in my blocked list like adgenie.com or admt.com is the reason though, I do remember spending hours blocking stuff some years back after scrolling through the cookies page in temp files and finding hundreds of tracking cookies (mostly dropped by google searches)
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

It's either cookies or etags.
I don't fully understand etags other than they're used in the headers for a http request and reply.
Cookies though .. despite logging out, they can still be set, hold a unique value and read to identify multiple users on the same computer.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!