cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay Spoof email

itsme
Grafter

Ebay Spoof email

Received an email in the early hours pertaining to be from ebay and containg a link to a confirmation form. The email do look genuine and as I just purchased a replacement router which is still going through the completion stage I could have easily been taken in by it except.
1. They used my old Plusnet email address which I have not used for the last 4 years.
2. The link took you to a different URL
3.  Requesting information which is over the top, i.e. ATM Pin number and National Insurance number.
Ebay confirmed that it was not from them within 5 minutes after forwarding to spoof@ebay.co.uk
Below is the page I was taken to.
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Re: Ebay Spoof email

I used to get quite a few of these, the easiest way of checking them is (in Thunderbird anyway) hovering over the "CLICK HERE" link and looking at it, most of them will be something like ebay.co.uk@fredbloggs.com/ab/cv/e/e/...
Anything before the @ is treated by the browser as login details, the REAL address is after it. (In the above example fredbloggs.com)
I had one from a hacked website, something to do with a horse stud if I remember correctly, I did email the contact on the web site but never heard anything from them.
If you visit the site (if it appears legit) by only using the top address (i.e. the fredbloggs.com in the above again) and seeing if they have a contact email then you can <b><i>try to</i></b> inform them their site has been hacked. Angry
Denzil
Grafter

You can also check if an eBay message is genuine by logging on to eBay (but not by clicking any link in the email!). Any message they send you will also appear in the messages section when you log in and go to My eBay.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: itsme
Below is the page I was taken to.

NNNNoooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!
Never click a link in a spoof email - you've just confirmed to them that their spam was sent to a valid email address, and it is one where the emails will be read. Stand by for a deluge!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

Another check that an email is genuinely from ebay is that it will contain your name at the start of the message.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

@ Jelv
my normal procedure with doubtful e-mail is to check via properties and source what is in the mail, without opening it.
I also because SWMBO is a bit th..  and has a separate mailbox on a separate machine look at all my e-mails via Thunderbird and IMAP.  I have noticed recently that I have a lot of traffic on NetMeter when a large one arrives to my inbox, not opened though,  if I wait a bit and then open the big one it does it immediately .  I thought that IMAP just downloaded the header not the complete, is there a cure for this
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Quote from: artmo
Another check that an email is genuinely from ebay is that it will contain your name at the start of the message.

Paypal claim that as well, but I have had a lot of genuine ones recently without my name, and I have complained to them and no reply
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: pierre_pierre
I also because SWMBO is a bit th..   and has a separate mailbox on a separate machine look at all my e-mails via Thunderbird and IMAP.  I have noticed recently that I have a lot of traffic on NetMeter when a large one arrives to my inbox, not opened though,  if I wait a bit and then open the big one it does it immediately .   I thought that IMAP just downloaded the header not the complete, is there a cure for this

If you don't have it automatically loading the remote images I think you should be OK.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
pierre_pierre
Grafter

the large one, that I get every day does auto download, Thunderbird does at least have the decency to ask