cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay Query

Fixes: 47

Ebay Query

I was after a particular cable/adaptor and software and most on offer were from the States but one private seller alone was UK based and offering a nearly new package for £80 reserve.
I placed my bid, equal to the reserve and waited. No other bids came in and I was within 4 minutes of the sale closing when I received a message from the seller explaining that he had placed the item at the wrong price and was withdrawing from sale.
A minute later I received an email from Ebay....congratulations, yours is the winning bid. Please pay.
I'm guessing the seller expected more bids and the price to rise and when it didn't he withdrew. He has since told me he plans to re-place it on Ebay with a reserve of £110 Huh
Reading through the rules it would appear that a seller can withdraw an item up to 1 hour before the sale ends however if I appealed I doubt he would sell me the item.
Is there a law concerning this situation between private individuals.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Re: Ebay Query

I doubt it very much. I would go via ebay's complaints procedures, since he withdrew it after the allowed time, ebay thinks you have won it and he has sold it, so you could try ebay with a copy of his email.
Community Veteran

There is no law if both parties were private.  It would have been different if he was a trader.
I agree with Hairy Biker.  Contact ebay and tell them you think you have been unfairly treated.  If he is a regular user they should be able to exert pressure on him to honour his original offer.

I did think about contacting Ebay but they can't force him to send me the item.
He has made 3 sales before and has had excellent feedback which means absolutely nothing.
It's just a pity as the item in question is available new for around £200 Shocked
David_W
Rising Star

I'd say contact Ebay and go through the complaints procedure.  They can't force him to sell it to you no, but they can suggest they will remove his account and ban him from Ebay, he'll no longer be able to trade there which means he won't be able to sell it anyhow.  If it says you won the item then yes, you won it (Ebay didn't allow him to remove it from sale) so unless he has an excellent reason (and not getting a good enough price isn't a good enough reason) then you have every right to complain. Smiley

Thanks for your posts everyone.
I'm inclined to think that the item would 'no longer be available' if you see what I mean.
Community Veteran

Yes but don't let him get away with it.  Tell ebay and as mentioned they may ban him which will make it impossible for him to try ity on with anyone else.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Strat.... I think you are on pretty good ground to have Ebay back your claim.... usually they tend to favour the buyer, in disputes... and if you consider the evidence you have supplied,...
The item was displayed for sale in the correct format....
The item was still available on the site at 4 mins to closing,. and
Ebay considers the item STILL to have been on site and available AT THE CLOSING TIME..
You say you had a message from the seller to say it was being withdrawn.... DID IT GET WITHDRAWN from the site BEFORE CLOSING TIME?
  if not, and I suspect it didn`t, (as ebay sent you a message confirming you were the winning bidder), then his message to you is a bit of a "damp squib"...
Go for the dispute procedure... it may take a couple of months to evolve, and you MAY get the item as a bonus, /.
Minimum result is that the seller will be "censured", and put on a warning status, or possibly be banned for a period.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I know this doesn't help but if it sounds too good to be true..
You have to be careful with ebay. Sometimes you really do get lucky and get a bargain and some sellers just go with the flow - if the item undersells they keep their end of the deal. Others can be a PITA to deal with.
I sold something valuable on ebay a few years back, before it sold I had a few people make me offers far below what it was worth and one cheeky so and so even demanded I sell it to him reduced as their were no other bidders interested (even though he couldn't see there were 29 watchers). I didn't bother reporting him but I published his question with my answer. The item eventually sold for more than they had all offered me anyway as a good number of bids came in at the last hour. Gotta admit though.. I was getting nervous about it but still made £50 on it from what i paid for it.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!

@shutter if it was a business I would pursue it but as I said he would probably say someone had bought it off him and it was no longer available for sale.
I was mainly curious to know if this was fairly common practice to withdraw an item failing to meet it's expectations.
I can source the item from the States for around £110 all inclusive and it's not exactly urgent.
Thanks again for everyone's contributions. I am a little wiser regarding Ebay.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Even if you do not pursue it all the way thru, it may be worthwhile just reporting it to the dispute department... at least they will give him some hassle, for the hassle he gave you!...
Don`t get angry.....................................................GET EVEN  Grin
I have been using ebay for about 8 years, and never come across this sort of thing before...
I have had a couple of "niggling" complainants, but it was easily resolved, by telling them to read the advert again... got apologies from both !..
I have had generally good results when I have  complained about items I have bought.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Thing to remember about ebay is that it is just an online market full of independent traders. It's not 'ebay' as such that is at fault but the person you're doing business with. I've heard a lot of people slag off ebay over the years for bad deals, bad items etc.. it's not ebays fault its the trading partner but people find it easier to say 'ebay' rather than an ebay member.
I did buy something from someone years ago which I was pretty hacked off about. A laptop. Described as GWO, with case, wifi, good battery etc. Dead battery, duff charging socket, no case, no wifi and the bios on the motherboard was password protected  Angry I put the seller through the mill (along with a couple of other buyers) and her account got closed. Doesn't take much to reopen another one but she had the hassle of rebuilding her reputation. Laptop lasted a few months after a repair to the charging socket and then died.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I Only buy New (more expensive) items from traders with a good and long history with e-bay.
I also buy cheaper second hand products (Nothing exceeding £20) from private traders so if I get caught out then it's not a major loss.
Perhaps I have been fortunate but in out of 130 purchases I have only ever had a couple of items which were of poor quality but were sold as seen so there was no comeback.