cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay Are Aving A Bubble

zedingrove
Grafter

Ebay Are Aving A Bubble

Just got a reply to a case I opened with Ebay.
Purchased 3 spare or repair watches from Ebay. On opening I find that they are fake watches.
Under Ebay's T&C it is illegal, a breach of contract and prohibited to list such items as these watches.
When you open a case with Ebay to do with a seller, they allow the seller a 2 week period in which to respond to
my allegation. If no response is given then I may take it further with Customer Service blah blah
Rang Customer Support who inform me that the T&C set out are a guide line for usersHuh
So I asked him,  " illegal, a breach of contract and prohibited" which is printed in various paragraphs
on your T&C mean....? To which he replied, I can't answer that. So what I have paid over the odds for fake watches
and you are telling me you can not act on it straight away? As I said I can't answer that!
I can't write the next sentence here....
Angry Cry
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Ebay Are Aving A Bubble

eBay are VERY hot on fakes, just let it run to their timescales.  Cool
I've tripped over a few and the "mildest" one was a (fairly expensive) car part that was clearly advertised as OEM (i.e. made by or on behalf of the car manufacturer, a genuine spare part).
It wasn't, it was what is commonly known as a "pattern" part made by someone else and NEVER EVER supplied through the dealer or official affiliated "genuine parts" supply chains. Perfectly serviceable and legal if described accurately as such and (VERY IMPORTANTLY) fit for purpose.
I raised this as a query with the seller as I wouldn't have paid his asking price for a "clone". Got an abusive reply. Raised a case with eBay and waited; got a full refund.
Funny thing is no-one wanted it back, it wasn't a safety-critical item so I used it anyway. Still works.  Lips are sealed
When it fails I'll need to buy the "proper" part, if I still have the car.
But it will probably survive. Looking at it you can tell it's not as robust or the same quality materials or finish as OEM would be, but it's "adequate". I'd have happily paid half the asking price for the quality, but I was asked for the full amount and eventually paid nothing.  Lips are sealed
The seller would have (in my case) been better served by being honest. But I guess that's balanced by the other buyers who just paid "over the odds" and didn't complain.  Cry
Community Veteran

Quote from: HPsauce
Funny thing is no-one wanted it back

When that happens it usually means the seller was found "not found at fault" and ebay refunded you as a good will gesture.
That seems to happen a lot on ebay now.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Similar deal here too. I bought a car battery a few years back, it got here covered in water (or so I thought). Wiped that all off (after sitting it on the arm of the sofa) and put it in the car. A day later I noticed the leather was damaged a bit and thought it was the cat.
A week later the battery is totally knackered. I rang them up and explained this to which they said no way etc, I told them about the water and suddenly he says the battery has leaked ACID during transit and its not their fault etc. I told him it's down to them to send it safely to which I got a rather "go away" type reply.
Opened a case on ebay and got a refund not long after. Seller told me to dump the battery.. I did eventually after it had been recharged a few times and abused in the garden  Wink
Another time I bought some flood lights that came through damaged. Ok they wern't that expensive but the packaging was awful so it was no surprise they came through damaged. Contacted seller who sent me their last set (also damaged) and told me to dispose / keep the first set as the return postage wasn't worth their time / cost. An hour or two later with the epoxy resin, I have two sets  Wink
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Agree with all the advice given in previous posts.
E-Bay are fairly quick to deal with items that are sold as Fake.
I Got a Sat Nav Disk which was clearly fake, the printing on the disk was so bad it was obvious it was a fake.
Contacted e-bay and they gave me all the usual stuff about the sender having so long to reply before they could refund my money but in the event Paypal refunded my money after 4 working days.
Not sure what their policy is but I would hope they ban sellers who sell fake stuff.
Community Veteran

Quote from: gleneagles
Not sure what their policy is but I would hope they ban sellers who sell fake stuff.

They do indeed. And it can be quick.
One VERY dubious transaction I was involved in everything disappeared totally from eBay, you just wouldn't even know the seller or any of their items ever existed.
Only evidence I had was the PayPal transaction and refund. All links from it into eBay went nowhere.
I have my suspicions that the "authorities" were involved but I was never asked to supply/support any evidence and eBay wouldn't tell me anything.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

As you say they deal with it quickly, they wouldn't give me any feedback either but the item and link it was on were removed.
One negative thing is that it's not difficult for someone who has been banned to get back on e-bay again.
Another negative is you have 45 days to complain following purchase and a dodgy seller could soon use up a lot of that time to say the item was lost in the post or they were out of stock or other combination of excuses.