cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay....Advice please

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Ebay....Advice please

Purchased an electrical item on Ebay a couple of months ago, cost approx £45, said item no longer works.

From the date of order to delivery was approx 3 days so it was likely sent from somewhere in the UK.

Contacted the supplier who replied to the effect that as 30 has elapsed it cannot be returned for replacement but they are willing to repair it free under the 12 month warranty......only snag is that they want me to send it to...China !

Not sure how much that would cost me in postage !

Question is what would you do ? Should I just put it down to experience and forget about it or is there some other way I could deal with this....It was paid for using Paypal.. not sure if that offers me any protection...Not exactly clear on how to contact Ebay, they don't seem to have a system if the 30 day period has elapsed, anyway comments please,

10 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Ebay....Advice please

Paypal covers you for 45 days, so, off you pop & file a dispute... Smiley

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

the procedure is to try and sort it between you and the seller,... then if that fails you can use the Ebay Resolution centre

here is the linky...

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/ebay-money-back-guarantee/how-to-help.html

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

twocvbloke wrote:

Paypal covers you for 45 days, so, off you pop & file a dispute... Smiley

Thanks, but that's a non starter as the item is 2 months old.

@shutter

Thanks for the link, will follow that through but I guess their get out clause is that they are offering to fix it

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Well, as the 45 days has lapsed, and their making an offer to repair it as long as it is sent to china, well, keep demanding they pay postage (using a service of your discretion), or refund the money, I've done it a few times with china sellers, and in the end they do give in... Smiley

Community Veteran

I bought an item on ebay which was from China and I wanted to return. When I contacted the seller I was given a UK address to return the item to.

You don't say what the item was. I assume it didn't have a UK guarantee.

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Seems like some of those Chinese companies must have UK based distribution centres as I've been 'caught out' like that.

Call it what you like but I always try to buy British..... almost impossible to guarantee though these days. As for getting any sort of redress, threaten them if not with the small claims court then exposure through social media - it really has become a very powerful tool.

Time was when you could hold the retailer to account but now it's all become rather nebulous. Grrr Knuppel

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Yeah you have to be a bit careful with the chinese sellers. I had one send me an outdated product - was supposed to be v3, they sent v2. I got a refund but only after arguing with them about it.

What annoys me is that so many ebay sellers don't put a return address on the stuff they send out - so you're completely stumped should you need to send something back.

You also have to be careful of people selling "New" stuff that they've actually been using. Naturally you get no warranty despite it being "New" and then that leaves you stuffed if it goes wrong. I had a electrical that I purchased like that. It was "New" and came from a business seller. When it went bang a couple of days after arrival the seller didn't want to know - until I went through ebay and then they were more than helpful.

I've been looking at Big Traks on ebay recently and the number of people there that are selling them as new even though they've had it out, applied the stickers, used it.... and then they'll say it was never used and they only looked at it - despite the description claiming its still in a SEALED package.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Probably be a good idea to go to ebay's community boards and ask the question in the Buyer Central section.

Buyer Central

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Indeed, and ebay like all online buying is a learning curve all of us are still going around, especially 'oldies' like me.

You can take complaints up with ebay of course but they do seem to drag their feet - 'who pays the piper' and all that?

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

I've bought a fair few things from China on eBay and other outlets, ALWAYS use PayPal as it gives "some" protection. As ever Caveat Emptor!

You just have to accept that there's a risk and that after any PayPal protection has expired that's it.

I balance that against the cost/availability of whatever it is I'm buying, plus (if possible) reviews and recommendations from "trusted" sources.

I have had  some cases where goods were listed as from UK (so covered by the usual distance selling rules) but actually arrived direct from China. In such cases make an IMMEDIATE claim via eBay/Paypal for fraud or non-delivery (the latter is often easier - see next comment).

(After all if something arrives unexpectedly from China it's unsolicited goods, so not what you ordered and is effectively impossible to return as is your right. Such items will never be tracked, so there's no proof of delivery, as that would reveal to eBay where they originate, and if they are just claim for fraud)